PDA

View Full Version : Promotion from within when last in the NFL in TDs and 30th on O?

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 12:25 PM
The title might be negative, but i ask fellow loyalists, do u think these are the answers to our horrible offense?
Do you promote from within when u havent made the playoffs in 8 seasons
Do you promote from within after back to back 7-9 seasons?
Do you promote from within when ur offensiveline struggles running the ball when u invested 75 million in the offseason?
Do you promote from within after the Jp disaster under Turks tutalege?
Do you promote from within after were ranked 30th on total offense?
Do you promote from within when u have no vertical pass attack for 3 yrs now?
Do you promote from within when your WRs continue to struggle?
Do You promote from within when you scored the least amount of TDs in the entire NFL?
Do you promote from within when u set the franchise record for least amount of points in a season?

i guess so

Please give me your insights, and also why we didnt even consider an outside hire?

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
The title might be negative, but i ask fellow loyalists, do u think these are the answers to our horrible offense?
Do you promote from within when ur offensiveline struggles running the ball when u invested 75 million in the offseason?
Do You promote from within when you scored the least amount of TDs in the entire NFL?
Do you promote from within when u set the franchise record for least amount of points in a season?

Reads to me the Bills have more problems than just coaching. They must be lacking talent on roster.

Bill Cody
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Reads to me the Bills have more problems than just coaching. They must be lacking talent on roster.

You're right. Coaching is important in the NFL but it pales behind talent. You could have Fairchild as OC in NE and they'd still be dominant.

Buffatexas
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
considering that over the past 8 years, all we did was bring in outside guys. Gilbride, Fairchild, Clemens (sp?), LeBeau, Gray, Williams, Mularkey..do we really need to go on?

I am 99.9 percent sure that there is no one on this board that knows the Bills playbook and what was left out last season because Fairchild did not trust the talent.

Give Schonert and the FO a freaking chance regarding the OC position until they prove that this was a mistake. Which as of right now, they have just as much of a chance in making a mistake as they do in not making one.

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 01:56 PM
So i guess i am completely wrong in at least thinking they should have interveiwed for the job

Isnt it the same thing as Schonert taking over?
He is gonna change the offense isnt he?
put his own stamp on it
i was just thinkin it would be nice to have a outside opionion

Jan Reimers
01-16-2008, 02:09 PM
So i guess i am completely wrong in at least thinking they should have interveiwed for the job

Isnt it the same thing as Schonert taking over?
He is gonna change the offense isnt he?
put his own stamp on it
i was just thinkin it would be nice to have a outside opionion
No, you're not wrong. You just have an opinion like everyone else here. Only time will tell if Schonert will be successful in his new position.

But to be fair, Turk was neither the architect nor the gameday playcaller of last year's offense. There were also injuries, lack of production at WR and TE, and the QB situation that hampered us offensively.

That's why I don't tie Schonert to our offensive failures.

Historian
01-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I agree Jan, and in all fairness, Edward's quick development was a bright spot for the entire year.

mchurchfie
01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
One of the reasons this team hasn't made the PO's in 8 seasons is lack of continuity with coaching carousel that is a yearly event for this team. I think that in this case we made the right decision.

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 02:38 PM
No, you're not wrong. You just have an opinion like everyone else here. Only time will tell if Schonert will be successful in his new position.

But to be fair, Turk was neither the architect nor the gameday playcaller of last year's offense. There were also injuries, lack of production at WR and TE, and the QB situation that hampered us offensively.

That's why I don't tie Schonert to our offensive failures.

What about JPs failure?

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I am with everyone on giving Turk a shot i am just majorly concerned that we made a mistake in not inteveiwing anyone outside the organization and listening to there philsophy on how to use Evans, Lynch, TE etc...

Just concerned we put all out eggs in one basket, we will see if this thread i wrote has any meaning next year at this time

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
One of the reasons this team hasn't made the PO's in 8 seasons is lack of continuity with coaching carousel that is a yearly event for this team. I think that in this case we made the right decision.
If the system wasn't bottom of the league in both seasons then I wouldnt be worried about it.

Dick is putting what could be his last year on the line with Turk unless the D can bring us to the playoffs. Again, the goal is winning the sb. Putting that goal on the hands of somebody thats never been an OC before might be too much to ask.

I wouldn't put it past Turk to make this O better after all Fairchid is an IDIOT ,but to expect him to win a sb for us ..I don't see it.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 02:44 PM
You could have Fairchild as OC in NE and they'd still be dominant.
Defensively, not offensively. He'd tell Brady to run and Welker to pass.

jamze132
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
What about JPs failure?
JP has nothing to do with this thread.

jamze132
01-16-2008, 02:47 PM
People seem to think that the Bills should just go ahead and interview every big name out there. I guess that would make a large portion of the fan base happy. We have gone outside the organization enough lately with zero success. I think it's about time we have some damn continuity.

Mahdi
01-16-2008, 02:48 PM
That has been the problem on offense for years.... Jauron knows full well that we need improvements on offense and im certain he wont go another year without aggressively addressing them. That will make Schonert's job easier than Fairchild's was.

Jan Reimers
01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
What about JPs failure?
Maybe JP's failure was more the result of his inability to handle the mental aspects of the position, rather than Turk's shortcomings. Sam Wyche, a pretty good football mind, failed with JP, too.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 02:56 PM
exactly, that was all on Fairchild.

Night Train
01-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Maybe JP's failure was more the result of his inability to handle the mental aspects of the position, rather than Turk's shortcomings. Sam Wyche, a pretty good football mind, failed with JP, too.

:bf1:

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 03:03 PM

Sam Wyche would've given JP an OL. Even Walsh/Montana would've failed without an OL.

Historian
01-16-2008, 03:04 PM

And keep this in mind sportsfans....Turk was a Sam disciple. Played for him. Coached with him. Hopefully, he'll open it up a bit....ala Sam.

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 03:09 PM

Also Maybe JPs failure had everything to do with the coaching and there inability to find an offensive scheme that would soot a strong armed mobile QB, maybe it had everything to do with the fact the Sam Wyche was out of the league for a few years before he took the job, and also the fact that Schonert hasnt really stuck anywhere since we fired him, or he left here in 2000, Has he developed anyone at the position for that matter?, what is his offensive portfolio, he called plays for New Orleans in 2005, hmmm they were real good that year!!

I agree with you Jan that Schonert could be better that Fairchild and am willing to give the organization the benefit of the doubt, but no one has yet to answer the question is it smart to put all your eggs in one basket and promote form within, when we havent made the playoffs in 8yrs as well as being worst in the league in throwing Tds. both QBs TE and JP struggled badly in the redzone throwing the ball

Wouldnt that be coaching, and playcallin, and teaching the qb to find the open man, or throw it to a certain spot, or god forbid call an audible which neither TE or JP were allowed to do

It just would be nice to not have bottom of the barrell talent evaluaters running this team
this is a cheap move u cant deny that

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 03:10 PM

Read my original post a few questions down

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Also Maybe JPs failure had everything to do with the coaching and there inability to find an offensive scheme that would soot a strong armed mobile QB,

he was never given the chance to succeed. No one will argue that even Trent would've failed here if he was drafted then.Everyone would call him brainless as well. He probably would've been dead since he less mobile than JP with an injury history.

People say talent. What talent did JP have to work with? What coaches did he have to work with?

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 03:19 PM
People seem to think that the Bills should just go ahead and interview every big name out there. I guess that would make a large portion of the fan base happy. We have gone outside the organization enough lately with zero success. I think it's about time we have some damn continuity.

Yeah hiring bottom of the barrell OC's will do that, even thou they were outside the organization doesnt mean they are good

the only name i can think of worth a damn that was OC in here in the past is Kevin Gilbride and that is cause he finally had success this year otherwise
Joe PEndry
Dan Henning
Steve Fairchild
etc.
word to that is cheap go out and get Cam Cameron or Norm Chow
then u can tell me if it was a mistake or not
get a HC that isnt from the dollar store
see if Bill Cower Marty Shottenheimer, or even Mike Sherman would make this team different or more RESPECTABLE
remember 8 seasons = no playoffs, and one winning record

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Sam Wyche would've given JP an OL. Even Walsh/Montana would've failed without an OL.

The same O-line that looked better when Holcomb or Edwards were the QB?

HHURRICANE
01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
I guess people were impressed with the offensive play calling. You know where I could call every play before it happened.

If I see the same crap next year I'm all but finished as a fan. 8 years is enough.

Typ0
01-16-2008, 05:42 PM
he was never given the chance to succeed.

that's your opinion...and a stupid one at that. JP was given every chance to succeed here. He was given more chances to succeed than just about every QB who ever failed. He couldn't learn the position.

Typ0
01-16-2008, 05:45 PM
you've got to love this move as a fan. I mean, yet another coach who either has zero experience in the position he is in or is a proven loser. This organization sucks. Let's not forget Ralph Wilson was begging Moolarkey to stay. People just don't want to work here. I'm sure if you are one of those eternal optimist types it would be a great move to hire donald duck.

Voltron
01-16-2008, 05:56 PM
If no teams ever promoted from within we would have run out of OCs and DCs and even HCs about 40 years ago. Lets give the guy a chance before we say he sucks.

Mitchy moo
01-16-2008, 08:15 PM
If no teams ever promoted from within we would have run out of OCs and DCs and even HCs about 40 years ago. Lets give the guy a chance before we say he sucks.

Bingo.:bandwagon

Kerr
01-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I'd give him a shot before I knock the decision.

Nighthawk
01-16-2008, 08:32 PM

i guess so

Please give me your insights, and also why we didnt even consider an outside hire?

Hey, it's the Buffalo Bills way!

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 09:15 PM
The same O-line that looked better when Holcomb or Edwards were the QB?
it will always look better when you dink and dunk.

Psst- lets not turn this intoa JP thread anymore. :D It's a given, Fairchild was an idot. No way anyone could've succeeded under him. I also like trent. Reminds me of a young Brady. I just hope he'll eventually become our franchise qb or we're screwed for the rest of this decade.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 09:18 PM
that's your opinion...and a stupid one at that. JP was given every chance to succeed here. He was given more chances to succeed than just about every QB who ever failed. He couldn't learn the position.haha1 Your opinion is actually dumber than mine when you thinking anyone could succeed with no OL and no coaches worth a spit.

Just read Turks implication of how the O was run. I think when Marv said JP was very unfairly criticized , he was thinking of you ;)

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 09:22 PM
you've got to love this move as a fan. I mean, yet another coach who either has zero experience in the position he is in or is a proven loser. This organization sucks. Let's not forget Ralph Wilson was begging Moolarkey to stay. People just don't want to work here. I'm sure if you are one of those eternal optimist types it would be a great move to hire donald duck.

based on your opinion of this organizaion, you still think anyone could succeed here? Think about it for a second, no wait, how bout' a week ;)

Typ0
01-17-2008, 06:10 PM
based on your opinion of this organizaion, you still think anyone could succeed here? Think about it for a second, no wait, how bout' a week ;)

Guys can succeed on individual goals. Anyone who is competent, a fighter and determined can do that. As far as the team overall succeeding...the best we can hope for is a weak schedule and a chance to win a playoff game...if the goal is to win a Superbowl then no, I don't think anyone can succeed here. And if you are talking about JP I don't think he will succeed anywhere.

The Jokeman
01-17-2008, 06:20 PM
he was never given the chance to succeed. No one will argue that even Trent would've failed here if he was drafted then.Everyone would call him brainless as well. He probably would've been dead since he less mobile than JP with an injury history.

People say talent. What talent did JP have to work with? What coaches did he have to work with?
I could make some similar arguments about RJ. Hell I even made some of them. The truth is sometimes you need to call a spade a spade. JP has some serious weakness' in reading defense and didn't make plays when we needed to in order to win. While I'm not ready to anoint TE the next great QB but he did show me more as a rookie this year then JP did.

jamze132
01-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Yeah hiring bottom of the barrell OC's will do that, even thou they were outside the organization doesnt mean they are good

the only name i can think of worth a damn that was OC in here in the past is Kevin Gilbride and that is cause he finally had success this year otherwise
Joe PEndry
Dan Henning
Steve Fairchild
etc.
word to that is cheap go out and get Cam Cameron or Norm Chow
then u can tell me if it was a mistake or not
get a HC that isnt from the dollar store
see if Bill Cower Marty Shottenheimer, or even Mike Sherman would make this team different or more RESPECTABLE
remember 8 seasons = no playoffs, and one winning record
If we went out and got some of those guys you mentioned, they would completely revampo the team and you will have an additional 2-4 years without playoffs.

Right now, I can't give up on the Jauron experiment. There will be different variables to the equasion next season. After next season, we miss the playoffs without any improvement again, then we can take the team in a differetn direction.

There were just way too many injuries this year for our entire team to make an impreovement. Who knows what our defense would have done if we didn't have so many injuries and weren't forced to sign people like Brian Scott and Leon Joe.

bigbub2352
01-18-2008, 08:58 AM
If we went out and got some of those guys you mentioned, they would completely revampo the team and you will have an additional 2-4 years without playoffs.

Right now, I can't give up on the Jauron experiment. There will be different variables to the equasion next season. After next season, we miss the playoffs without any improvement again, then we can take the team in a differetn direction.

There were just way too many injuries this year for our entire team to make an impreovement. Who knows what our defense would have done if we didn't have so many injuries and weren't forced to sign people like Brian Scott and Leon Joe.

Well said my friend, although i do like the Bryan Scott signing i think he can help alot on ST, and give us size and depth being a former 3rd round pick, that being said, i see ur point and agree, just frustrated with lack of doing anything this offseason so far

TedMock
01-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I guess people were impressed with the offensive play calling. You know where I could call every play before it happened.

If I see the same crap next year I'm all but finished as a fan. 8 years is enough.

That's just it - the playcalling sucked. The party responsible is gone. We can only hope right now that Schonert's philosophy is very different. The plays and formations don't have to change much. The timing of the calls, implementing the full playbook and allowing the QB to audible are what may be the biggest areas in need of improvement. Schonert is saying the right things for now. We'll see how that shapes up come September.

jamze132
01-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Well said my friend, although i do like the Bryan Scott signing i think he can help alot on ST, and give us size and depth being a former 3rd round pick, that being said, i see ur point and agree, just frustrated with lack of doing anything this offseason so far
I really, really like the Van Pelt to QB Coach thing... I think that is going to pay dividends for our offense.