X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

My opinion on the Offensive Coordinator Position

I like to think of the internal promotion this way.

A system was put into place that, we can all agree on this, was not utilized to its full potential. We saw flashes of it here and there, but not on a consistent basis.

Now, we had 3 options to replace Fairchild.

1. Go outside of the Bills organization and hire someone new. Most likely they would come in, bringing their own style of offense, and own coaches. The players would have had to learn an entirely new staff, and system. While this would have added excitement, as we have found over the years... a new OC from outside the organization does not equate to good playcalling/system.

2. Go outside the Bills organization and hire someone new, with the expectation and agreement that they continue using the current system, and tweak it. This would still have some of the negatives of option 1, but could be better, or could be worse... we'll never know. Either way, it seems stupid to bring someone in from the outside who is not familiar with our system, and teach them, along with the current players.

3. Promote someone from within. Someone who was here the last 2 years and was able to see what was wrong. Perhaps he disagreed with the way the offense was run in regards to scheme, style, and playcalling on sundays. He's as familiar with the current system as anyone, and is in a perfect position to tweak and fix what may have been wrong with it. Last in the league two years in a row, he will be given a lot of wiggle room to change the system to his liking... while at the same time knowing that if changes don't happen, everyone on the staff (including himself) are probably looking for new jobs next year. That said, he has a lot of motivation to make changes, knows where changes need to be made, and can do so with limited changes from a staff/coaching perspective.

I like option 3. After listening to his chat with Chris Brown, it seems that he agrees that Fairchild was a moron, and that he knows things have to change this year in order for anyone in Buffalo to keep their jobs.

Good luck to him and Go Bills!
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

Re: My opinion on the Offensive Coordinator Position

I couldn't agree more. Turk saw firsthand the disgruntledness of the players by the playcalling so maybe he will be a little more accomadating to their strengths and potential.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

My logical side agrees with you..

The rest of me wonders how much slack can continue to be cut for this organization before even optimistic fans like us get pushed over the edge.

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

Excellent post, Pride!
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• HAMMER
          I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
          • Jul 2003

Nailed it.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Right on Pride!

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Aug 2004

Superb post, Pride.

(I wish I could pos rep you for it now, but the computer that I am using right now--because my new one crashed--rarely allows me to see the rep icon. As soon as I get my computer issues squared away, I will try to make it up to you.)
              Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

I agree...While I am a little skeptical of Schonert because he has done nothing offensively but worked with QBs that does not mean for certain he will fail...I am sure most of us did not agree with what your manager was doing but you did it anyways because you were a team player. You may of agreed what the goal was but not the means to the end and said if I was manager I do it this way or that way. Well, maybe that is Schonert. Time will tell but history is not on our side in terms of great front office moves.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Screw history. It's time to make some new waves.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• colin
                    Drew's my hero!
                    • Jul 2002

total garbage.

you expect to run someone out of town before they get a shot this way?!?!

BLOW IT UP!! don't give anyone a chance with better talent, just blow up our O, and the cover 2, and switch to a 3-4.

we need to hire *famous guy's name* and clean house!! every player we have sucks, except jp who was treated too harshly!!

MIAMI HAS PARCELLS THEY ARE BETTER THAN US ALREADY!!! BLOW UP THE WHOLE TEAM!!

srsly, nice to see someone with a calm rational view.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JJamezz
                      My logical side agrees with you..

The rest of me wonders how much slack can continue to be cut for this organization before even optimistic fans like us get pushed over the edge.
                      Totally agree here.

It's the best option until it doesn't work, again.

I'm done disagreeing with what my eye's are telling me. If Schonert is the answer he's going to have to prove it to me.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Dec 2005

The Turk interview that Brown did was very telling (On a side note, those of you that bashed Brown in a thread the other day have to give him props for asking some tough questions... watch and see). You could tell he was right in line with just about every logocal/rational Bills fan out there about gameday play calling. Not to mention that there is almost zero learning curve... I love the hire. I truly, truly believe we are one good offseason from amking some serious waves. Whether that happens is up for debate, but we have been patient with the development of this ideology (Cover2/character players/consistent offense) for enough time that if dividends are going to be paid, they are going to be paid now.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

We've been one of the worst Offenses over the past five years, maybe ever. Why the hell would you want to keep any of those bums around? Bring in a PROVEN person who has had success elsewhere.

Comment

• TedMock
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                            We've been one of the worst Offenses over the past five years, maybe ever. Why the hell would you want to keep any of those bums around? Bring in a PROVEN person who has had success elsewhere.
                            This was my initial feeling as well, but that changed a bit the more I thought about it. Cameron was great once in San Diego with ridiculous weapons, Chow was great once at USC with ridiculous weapons, Mooch was great once at San Fran with ridiculous weapons, etc. Brian Billick was an offensive genius in Minnesota yet his Ravens teams couldn't muster up any sort of offense. How good were these guys, really? Tough to really say. I think the O.C. is hugely important, don't get me wrong, but they also need the talent AND the philosophy. It's a two-way marriage. Hopefully Turk has a very different philosophy and this team finally gets an identity.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                              The tail-end of Bledsoe and JP's inability to get it together had a lot to do with that. Fairchild was ultra-conservative, but from the sounds of it, there were a lot of plays that they worked on in the course of the week that the O felt good about. Bringing in someone new would mean at least another year (if not more) of adapting. The bottom line is question is - was it the system or was it Fairchild. I for one think Fairchild got a tight donut hole on game days (especially with TE at the helm) and couldn't pull the trigger on being a little more unpredictable/risk-taking. Turk's comments make me feel like he saw it the same way. Had he come in and said, "I love the Fairchild offense... we're going to keep it pretty much the same," then I'd be right there with you. But he didn't. I view it as the best of both worlds - familiarity and change.

Comment

Working...
                              X