PDA

View Full Version : Love the move of promoting Shonert!

X-Era
01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I flat out love it.

I for one have been sick and tired of changing schemes every few years then taking a few years to fully learn it. Now we finally get continuity and this will only help our very young starting QB.

The most compelling part of this move is the very positive message it sends to the players who wanted Shonert as their new guy. I think Jauron just told them that he listens to them. Vets love it, morale gets boosted by that, and the team will have more incentive to play because of it. This move just made the team that much tighter. For a team that played so tough despite injuries and constant personnel changes due to injuries under Jaurons coaching, you can expect them to play even harder for him now.

I think Shonert's comments talking about the pass play changes are right on the money. The running game was not the big problem, it was the passing game and lack of keeping the D's honest. I think his comment on change bodes well for us fans hoping for more playmakers from the draft and/or free agency.

I think change would have set us back, Im glad we are moving forward with a guy that the team trusts and likes. I think team unity is at its highest point since the SB years and thats a very very good thing!

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I just hope he's not in over his head like Mularkey and Fairchild.

I know Dick is a smart guy and I sometimes wonder if he's simply trying to make do with what Ralph is giving him which isn't much.

Again, we're in the same division as the PAts and a fins team that IMO won't take long to rebuild because the owner is not shy about opening up his checkbook.

If we blow this with Turk, the fins may very well surpass us in a blink of an eye.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I flat out love it.

I for one have been sick and tired of changing schemes every few years then taking a few years to fully learn it. Now we finally get continuity and this will only help our very young starting QB.

The most compelling part of this move is the very positive message it sends to the players who wanted Shonert as their new guy. I think Jauron just told them that he listens to them. Vets love it, morale gets boosted by that, and the team will have more incentive to play because of it. This move just made the team that much tighter. For a team that played so tough despite injuries and constant personnel changes due to injuries under Jaurons coaching, you can expect them to play even harder for him now.

I think Shonert's comments talking about the pass play changes are right on the money. The running game was not the big problem, it was the passing game and lack of keeping the D's honest. I think his comment on change bodes well for us fans hoping for more playmakers from the draft and/or free agency.

I think change would have set us back, Im glad we are moving forward with a guy that the team trusts and likes. I think team unity is at its highest point since the SB years and thats a very very good thing!

Good post. I don't think anyone outside the team knows enough about Schonert to be confident he's the man for the job, but you certainly make a good case for the merits of promoting from within. I'll add this - if we did bring in a new OC, it's pretty much guaranteed that we run a fairly vanilla version of his offense while the players get up to speed. With Schonert here and the same system in place, we at least have the opportunity for immediate improvement next season

jamze132
01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Poor Fairchild, not only will he have to explain to his possible recruits why his offense finished 30th two years in a row, he will have to answer why a 1st time OC who replaced him made the playoffs.

RockStar36
01-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I wasn't very excited until I saw the interview with him. It not only brought up some good points but he seemed like he was basically saying "Fairchild was an idiot. We practiced things and then did the complete opposite in the game." I like how he sounded so I'll give him a shot.

yordad
01-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I do like hearing a positive view. I like that you tried to make me feel positive about this move. But, fact is, I think talk is cheap, and easy to do. It is a lot of the same talk we have heard for years.

I just don't understand how you can bring yourself to promote from within when you have one of the worst offenses. And, players are supposed to say what they said. Does that mean they believe it? You might believe they believe it, but I doubt it.

From buffalobills.com....
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5809

"The offense will be different," Schonert told Buffalobills.com. "It will be different. And I'm going to put my stamp on it. It's going to be our offense, not my offense. I want to get the coaches involved. I like having the players involved and their input................"We're going to be more diversified than the past two years," said Schonert. "I'm probably going to be a more aggressive play caller than what we saw last year. I can't say what we're going to be to this point, but I know where I want us to be." The Bills former quarterbacks coach is also expected to make greater use of bootlegs and play action, which were not called often by former coordinator Steve Fairchild, especially in the red zone where Buffalo finished 30th in the league in touchdown percentage (38.2%).

I was hoping for an offensive guru. I was wishing for someone with previous OC experience and perferrably extensive.

How much does Schonert know about run blocking? Teaching and using, time and clock management? Studing run defenses? Disciplining players? Directing, trusting, and managing assisants? Implementing a game plan? Has he ever called plays? Made crucial adjustments? Had near complete control in crucial situations? Called the tough plays?

He said all the right things. Man, I'd really like to believe this, and I will when I see it.

Sorry to be a downer.

TigerJ
01-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I got a little excited when I heard Norm Chow became available (fired by Jeff Fisher). But I do think that hiring Schonert is not nearly as bad a move as some have made it out to be. I expect the organization is going to be hearing the boo birds for most of the offseason.

HHURRICANE
01-16-2008, 04:43 PM
When did our O get so good that we could promote from within?!

G Wolly
01-16-2008, 04:48 PM

Next season

patmoran2006
01-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Let's get Jauron as "un-involved" as humanly possible.

I just did some research, and it's ugly.

In Jauron's 8 seasons as a head coach in the NFL, not ONE of his teams has ever finished higher than 20th in yards per game.. Not even once.

Only once has one of his teams been in the top half of the league in points per game either.

That is brutal anyway you look at it.

X-Era
01-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I do like hearing a positive view. I like that you tried to make me feel positive about this move. But, fact is, I think talk is cheap, and easy to do. It is a lot of the same talk we have heard for years.

I just don't understand how you can bring yourself to promote from within when you have one of the worst offenses. And, players are supposed to say what they said. Does that mean they believe it? You might believe they believe it, but I doubt it.

"The offense will be different," Schonert told Buffalobills.com. "It will be different. And I'm going to put my stamp on it. It's going to be our offense, not my offense. I want to get the coaches involved. I like having the players involved and their input................"We're going to be more diversified than the past two years," said Schonert. "I'm probably going to be a more aggressive play caller than what we saw last year. I can't say what we're going to be to this point, but I know where I want us to be." The Bills former quarterbacks coach is also expected to make greater use of bootlegs and play action, which were not called often by former coordinator Steve Fairchild, especially in the red zone where Buffalo finished 30th in the league in touchdown percentage (38.2%).

He said all the right things. Man, I'd really like to believe this, and I will when I see it.

Sorry to be a downer.

Well a change in who the person is is still a change and Shonert admitted that there will be changes.

Promoting from within could be the status quo but also could be change. We wont know until we see it. But his comments make us believe he will get done what he needs too.

I think its critical that the players wanted him. Its shows they believe in him and ought to be a good sign that hes worthy.

Ask yourself this: How long would it take for the players and coaches to firmly be behind the new guy from outside? Half the year? More? Thats a whole nother season potentially.

X-Era
01-16-2008, 05:27 PM
When did Cam Cameron do ANYTHING worth mentioning? San Diego as OC? Well, he leaves and they do just as well and he goes to the Fins and they flat out STINK!!! When did ANY of the outside guys prove that they are all WE need?

Kerr
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm hardly upset or dissapointed with this move. I just wish fewell would have gotten kicked to the curb. I'd rather have dick call the defense on gameday.

OpIv37
01-16-2008, 08:50 PM
I flat out love it.

Change would set us back- you're right about that. But you're not following the causal chain back far enough. Changing schemes every few years is the symptom- not the problem. The problem is picking the wrong scheme (ie, coordinator) in the first place, or at least not committing to the one they choose.

When the FO does that (as they have 3 consecutive times, maybe 4 now), it creates the proverbial catch-22. Change creates turmoil and delays winning, but at the same time, sticking with an inept scheme isn't going to win either.

The real problem is that this org never fully commits- they take shortcuts, ie "We'll play a cover-2, but we'll get 2nd rate DT's and overpay average talent at DE and hope it gets by". Or, to go a few years back, "Let's get a pocket passer in Drew Bledsoe, but instead of getting an OL, let's just pay McNally and hope he can turn chicken **** into chicken salad". There are plenty of other examples but those are the two biggest ones.

Nighthawk
01-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Change would set us back- you're right about that. But you're not following the causal chain back far enough. Changing schemes every few years is the symptom- not the problem. The problem is picking the wrong scheme (ie, coordinator) in the first place, or at least not committing to the one they choose.

When the FO does that (as they have 3 consecutive times, maybe 4 now), it creates the proverbial catch-22. Change creates turmoil and delays winning, but at the same time, sticking with an inept scheme isn't going to win either.

The real problem is that this org never fully commits- they take shortcuts, ie "We'll play a cover-2, but we'll get 2nd rate DT's and overpay average talent at DE and hope it gets by". Or, to go a few years back, "Let's get a pocket passer in Drew Bledsoe, but instead of getting an OL, let's just pay McNally and hope he can turn chicken **** into chicken salad". There are plenty of other examples but those are the two biggest ones.

Excellent post and very good points!

YardRat
01-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Schonert will be a head coach in four years, tops.

You heard it here first.

yordad
01-16-2008, 09:28 PM

You heard it here first.Maybe ours. We do promote from within. :bandwagon

jchild178
01-17-2008, 01:03 AM
First post was great and I love the move. Schonert seemed like a players coach and I think we're about to shock some folks come next fall! I also liked the fact how Dick Jauron was very clear that this coming year is as big as its ever been. Im telling ya the Bills are comin!

tampabay25690
01-17-2008, 07:15 AM

I was hoping for an offensive guru. I was wishing for someone with previous OC experience and perferrably extensive.

How much does Schonert know about run blocking? Teaching and using, time and clock management? Studing run defenses? Disciplining players? Directing, trusting, and managing assisants? Implementing a game plan? Has he ever called plays? Made crucial adjustments? Had near complete control in crucial situations? Called the tough plays?

Sorry to be a downer.

There is no way this team can take on a new scheme.......
You know the players don't want anything to change...This team is so young and now we will have a 2nd year QB.....Trent will only get better, Lynch, Evans, Parrish and our line is only gonna get better........

Romes
01-17-2008, 07:26 AM
I wasn't very excited until I saw the interview with him. It not only brought up some good points but he seemed like he was basically saying "Fairchild was an idiot. We practiced things and then did the complete opposite in the game." I like how he sounded so I'll give him a shot.

I agree. I felt the same way then after seeing the interview I feel better about the decision.

It did seem like he has a good idea of what the team needs to do differently. I also like that he was refering to it as our offense something to get the players involved in and excited about. Anything that builds team unity like that can only help.

imbondz
01-17-2008, 07:28 AM

You heard it here first.

this is the most positive post I have ever read here!

imbondz
01-17-2008, 07:29 AM
unless Yardrat was being sarcastic.

Spiderweb
01-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I flat out love it.

Continuity or not, it will take considerable changes to the offensive schemes to make the Bills offense improve. Instead of learning a whole new offense, it may be like learning half or three quarters of one......

X-Era
01-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Dont mean to toot my own horn on calling this one but heres some evidence that Jauron was making this move to boost morale

http://oleantimesherald.com/articles/2008/01/20/sports/doc4792c2195edf0258111273.txt

"In general it's important, for a lot of reasons, to stay within an organization if you can," he said. "A lot of it has to do with morale and loyalty.

HHURRICANE
01-20-2008, 12:38 PM
When did Cam Cameron do ANYTHING worth mentioning? San Diego as OC? Well, he leaves and they do just as well and he goes to the Fins and they flat out STINK!!! When did ANY of the outside guys prove that they are all WE need?

Go back and watch the Miami games. He did an above average job with an O that had less talent than we had.

Schonert may or may not be the answer but Cameron would have most certainly been a good hire.

Funny he was running the whole team and was able to run a better O than us with 3 different QBs and 2 different RBs and an O-line that wasn't as good as ours.

I think that's worth mentioning!

justasportsfan
01-20-2008, 11:48 PM
My worry is that the guy whos been 0-2 in choosing an OC decided to promote him. Dick and his offensve decisions have sucked.

X-Era
01-21-2008, 06:58 AM
My worry is that the guy whos been 0-2 in choosing an OC decided to promote him. Dick and his offensve decisions have sucked.

Dick has sucked?

Why is that funny to me?