PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Ralph stays "in-house" because...

yordad
01-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Trust. It’s only natural.

Why did Ralph Wilson want to bring Marv back two years ago? Trust. I think Wilson felt like Donahoe had done him wrong. When he brought Marv back, to me it seemed he was coming in to be sort of a godfather. Someone to lead the team should Wilson pass in mid season or during transitioning to a new owner.

Why did they hire Jauron? I think it is because he is a noble guy. Someone Wilson and Marv can trust. An Ivy leaguer who speaks like a politician without the salesmanship. Dick says all the right things, and seems to speak slowly because he is choosing has words. He seems like one of the most truest, nicest, respectable, trustworthy people ever.

And Jauron has had the carpet pulled out from under him before. He got ousted by a new GM in Chicago, and tossed aside in Detroit.

Now, Jauron has his favorite players. And, the noble guy seems a little too loyal to players at times. It seems several players could have been promoted earlier but weren't because their history together. In fact, Jauron got defensive when asked in an interview if his background with A-Train prevented him from promoting Fred Jackson sooner.

Who is to say he isn’t the same way when promoting a coach. Seems it would be a lot easier giving the nod to a certain coach you like, compared to how easy it would be to give the nod to a certain player. I think he trust Schonert. He thinks Schonert wouldn’t throw him under the bus any time soon, especially after being given such a promotion. It isn’t like Schonert is a threat to take his job any time soon. A “Martz” type hire would have him looking over his shoulder; especially with a different guy manning the “GM” role. Mainly, I’m saying other factors were considered when this hire was made, not just who was the most qualified.

In fact, all the coaching staff has a connection to the DJ, RW, or ML in some way. A lot of staffs are like that, but I think this one is more than usual. Even Kuglar, the new O-line coach, worked with Jauron in Detroit. This isn’t even the first time Jauron made him OL coach. He did the same at the end of ‘05 when he was named interim coach for the Lions.

Now, back to Wilson. The last time he made a significant move hiring a top guy, it was Donahoe, and that turned out awful. Now he has to pick a new head guy. Brandon is going on 12 years with the Bills. Overdorf has been with the Bills 22 years. Modrak and John Guy are each going on 8 years with the Bills. In fact, a lot of the staff has worked for Wilson for 20+ years. These guys have gained Wilson’s trust.

It would seem only natural for a old guy like Wilson to trust these guys. And, only natural for him to not want to leave his comfort zone. Only natural for him to not want to shake things up. Only natural for him to want to keep those he trust happy. Keep it like a family.

And, only natural for him to promote from within at his stage in life; even if the guy isn't a top name.

eyedog
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Your probably exactly right to some extent, but is that how you build a winning team. A team that hasn't made the play-offs this whole decade ?

historypete
01-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Ralph is still steaming from getting burned by Donahoe. That is why he refused to even look outside the organization for help. You call it trust, I call it paranoia.

Just because you were burned once does not mean you don't try finding someone from outside the organization again. That is a stupid way to run your multi-million dollar franchise. Especially when you are promoting people with no football experience, or sketchy football decisions (Guy) to positions of vital importance.

McBFLO
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I think you bring up an excellent point with the trust issue. And that is exactly why he needs to sell this team NOW. He's not cut out to handle this **** anymore. If he's incapable of building new, business-oriented relationships due to trust, then it's time to throw in the towel and sell this team. Sometimes in business (and I'm no expert by any means on business) in order to succeed, risks need to be taken in order to be as successful as you can be.

And isn't it ironic that the men he's trusting have brought him a decade of football- mediocrity?

McBFLO
12-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Wow, just realized that the rest of this thread was basically from 1-year ago. Makes it even more disappointing that a year later, we're debating the same *****.