PDA

View Full Version : Bills Sign Fullback

Romes
01-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Its on BB.com front page.

Darian Barnes

Looks like they aren't wasting time implementing the new O.

shelby
01-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Sweet!

One of the changes to Buffalo's offense in 2008 has already become apparent as veteran fullback Darian Barnes was signed by the Bills Thursday. The seven-year veteran played in five games last season for the Jets making four starts. More to come shortly.

link (http://www.buffalobills.com/)

circlethewagons
01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I like the move- but why did it take a full year to get a Fullback on the roster?

hydro
01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Because only until now have we reimplemented the Fullback position. Schonert said he has gotten rid of the H-back position and now will use a fullback.

raphael120
01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Raise your hand if you thought the H-back system was going to work to begin with. ****in idiots at ODB, i swear. If Fairchild can get a job at OBD I think I'm going to apply for somethin. They seem to just be making up position names now. Running Game Coordinator? I thought that's what the Running Backs Coach was. Apparently not.

Romes
01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
more links for those who love them

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5825

The 6'0" 250-pound fullback is known as a hitter and will likely factor into Schonert's offensive plans for the 2008 season.

Buffalo's new running game coordinator Eric Studesville has a familiarity with what Barnes has to offer. He coached him as a rookie undrafted free agent in 2002, though Barnes did not make the New York Giants roster coming out of training camp.

He is a blocker by trade and has not been utilized much as a receiver with 10 receptions in 2004 with Dallas being his single season career-high. Barnes also has just five career rushes for 10 yards.

RockStar36
01-17-2008, 12:26 PM
I've never heard of him nor do I think he is reason to bring major excitement to the team, however it will be really nice to actually have a fullback for Marshawn.

bigbub2352
01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
We Still defintly need to draft one, this guy has been on 4 teams in 6 yrs

RockStar36
01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
We Still defintly need to draft one, this guy has been on 4 teams in 6 yrs

That seems perfect for the Bills.

Michael82
01-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm just glad we are going back to the FB position. Lynch could have used one soo many times on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. :sigh:

RockStar36
01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm just glad we are going back to the FB position. Lynch could have used one soo many times on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. :sigh:

Imagine how many more yards Lynch could push for if he has a real fullback leading the way. It's almost scary.

madness
01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Lynch didn't play with a FB in college either.

Mahdi
01-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Actually Barnes is a really good run blocking FB.

I know its irrelevant but kinda funny....

When I started my Madden 06 season a couple years ago I signed Barnes as my FB for the Bills cuz we didnt have a good one.... He was a beast for me and went to the pro-bowl. Just thought id mention.....

Either way I like the move.... its not like our H-Back was catching anything and thats the only advantage to having an H-back rather than a FB... Superior receiving skills and lines up anywhere.

Mitchy moo
01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Love the move and I'm glad we are making changes to help ML.

Pride
01-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Any change at this point is a welcome change in my book. Cant get much worse than 30th.

Jan Reimers
01-17-2008, 01:31 PM
I like it. The guy is only 27, has made about 25 starts over his career, and at 6', 250 lbs. appears to be a big time blocker who can catch the occasional pass.

Hopefully, he'll be a great blocker for the Beast and will allow us to use our draft picks on positions of greater need.

gr8slayer
01-17-2008, 01:35 PM
He was terrible in Dallas.

Philagape
01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Sounds like a body in TC. If he's any good, why do teams keep dumping him?

Jan Reimers
01-17-2008, 01:39 PM
He was terrible in Dallas.
At what? Running or pass catching or blocking, or all three? I don't think we need him for much except blocking, particularly if we pick up some WR and TE help.

gr8slayer
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
At what? Running or pass catching or blocking, or all three? I don't think we need him for much except blocking, particularly if we pick up some WR and TE help.
He had Willisitus, he was too stupid to remember his blocking assignments. When he did figure it out he was a pretty damn good blocker.

Jan Reimers
01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
I think fewer and fewer teams are using a fullback, including the Jets who released him last season. I don't remember Miami or Dallas, his two teams before the Jets, utilizing a fullback much anymore, either.

Jeff1220
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I remember a season where Sam Gash had 0 carries and 1 recept. and made the pro-bowl. I'd be happy with that kind of FB!

Jan Reimers
01-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I remember a season where Sam Gash had 0 carries and 1 recept. and made the pro-bowl. I'd be happy with that kind of FB!
I loved Sam Gash, and if Barnes can give us anything close to what Sam did, I'll be thrilled.

venis2k1
01-17-2008, 02:15 PM
We have the biggest O-line in football, the fact we cant pick up a first down on 3rd and 1 is pathetic. This move will help, althouh im not positive Barnes is the answer.

Mahdi
01-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Because a lot of teams dont like using a true FB. And Barnes is a pure run blocker....

Mahdi
01-17-2008, 02:21 PM
I loved Sam Gash, and if Barnes can give us anything close to what Sam did, I'll be thrilled.
Larry Centres was one heck of a FB too,,,, probably the best receiving FB of all time and was a great blocker too.

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Ive been saying this for some time that we need a proven fullback not a tightend converted to a fullback like we were trying to use. Most of the good running backs in this league have a good fullback in front of them. Maybee Lynch can break of some big runs of 25 yards or better.

Jeff1220
01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
LT gets a lot of help from Lorenzo Neal.

Philagape
01-17-2008, 02:32 PM
I think fewer and fewer teams are using a fullback, including the Jets who released him last season. I don't remember Miami or Dallas, his two teams before the Jets, utilizing a fullback much anymore, either.

He played for Dallas in 2004; the following year their FB was Lousaka Polite
He played for Miami in 05 and 06; this year their FB was Reagan Mauia

It wasn't because they stopped using FBs.

And the Jets cut him in the middle of the season.

Jeff1220
01-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't expect him to be a great FB, otherwise he'd already be on a team. If he turns out that way, great! I just like the move because it backs up what Schonert said with an action. He said they'd start using a FB again and, low and behold, they've signed a FB.

njsue
01-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I like it. The guy is only 27, has made about 25 starts over his career, and at 6', 250 lbs. appears to be a big time blocker who can catch the occasional pass.

Hopefully, he'll be a great blocker for the Beast and will allow us to use our draft picks on positions of greater need.

Bills will have a big time Running attack. :bf1:

bigbub2352
01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I wouldnt look for Barnes to be the sarter, but soild depth at the position and someone who is capable of doin it is a good pickup, but we need someone who can grow with LYNCH and learn from each other, that is why OWen Scmitt in the 3rd round would be a great pick up

HHURRICANE
01-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Thank god we signed another nobody to get excited about.

madness
01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Raise your hand if you thought the H-back system was going to work to begin with. ****in idiots at ODB, i swear. If Fairchild can get a job at OBD I think I'm going to apply for somethin. They seem to just be making up position names now. Running Game Coordinator? I thought that's what the Running Backs Coach was. Apparently not.

Actually a lot of teams in the NFL use the H-back successfully and as Jan said, most teams have phased out the FB position all together.

yordad
01-17-2008, 03:49 PM
The signing isn't as good as the what it signifies. This signifies change. Early change. I thought H-back was a bad move (with our guys). I like that our new coordinator could recognize that, and make changes to correct it. Go Turk.

Confused
01-17-2008, 04:33 PM
another attempt to make something out of another teams garbage. what a stupid ****** move by the front office......again.

.....yay another washed up journeyman. What til the FA period starts, we will be inundated with turds like this d-bag.

Im so sick of this poop.

83evans
01-17-2008, 05:10 PM
another attempt to make something out of another teams garbage. what a stupid ****** move by the front office......again.

.....yay another washed up journeyman. What til the FA period starts, we will be inundated with turds like this d-bag.

Im so sick of this poop.

Do you even think before you post???

RoanokeVABillsFan
01-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I don't expect him to be a great FB, otherwise he'd already be on a team. If he turns out that way, great! I just like the move because it backs up what Schonert said with an action. He said they'd start using a FB again and, low and behold, they've signed a FB.

I agree that I don't expect him to be as good as Larry Centers or Sam Gash who were proven fb's before they came here. I also like the move though. He may/may not be the answer, but if you're going to have a fullback and you didn't have any on your roster last year, you need more than one on the roster. So you go sign someone with some experience. Then you look to see if you can get something better in free agency or the draft. You know you'll have to fill in at least one more that way and then you start the one that is the best player.

Oaf
01-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Larry Centers was my favorite FB ever. Him and Sam Gash.

LtFinFan66
01-18-2008, 02:35 AM
He was in Miami in 05-06. We drafted the rookie FB from Hawaii. That's why we cut him loose. He is a pretty good blocker

jamze132
01-18-2008, 03:30 AM
We have the biggest O-line in football, the fact we cant pick up a first down on 3rd and 1 is pathetic. This move will help, althouh im not positive Barnes is the answer.
There was a reference to this in Schoenerts interview. He said something like having the biggest guys on the field on both sides of the ball on 3rd and shorts, could go either way.

But by speading some people out, it should create more holes or keep the defense from putting their 11 big guys out there. It would leave them vulnerable.

G. Host
01-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Here is some info and some opinions about him being let go:
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2007/11/jets-release-fb-darian-barnes.html

He got cut right before Dolphins-Jets game where he was seen as a possible spark vs LB Joey Porter and Jets deperately did not want to be the team that gave the Dolphins their first win.

mybills
01-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Not coincidentally, Thomas Jones’ first two 100-yard games came when Barnes was playing.
:;

Bert102176
01-18-2008, 07:53 AM
It's def nice that the FB position is back in Buffalo