PDA

View Full Version : Since everyone is posting mock drafts...

Ingtar33
04-04-2003, 11:17 PM
I figured I'd post one that me and an old HS buddy hashed out on the phone a few hours ago. He's sort of a football fanatic, and actually provided some decent insight (he doesn't know squat about college ball, but he does know NFL team needs)...

The draft has no trades (I always thought the worst thing about "mock drafts" were the trades), and contains an aspect I don't think is amply considered in most mock drafts... the idea of the "run".

So, without further ado... here is my meaningless contribution to the seemingly endless supply of mock drafts that are available now days... to be considered and debated for the next two to three days.

1)CIN=Kennedy, DT Penn St.
2)DET=Rogers, WR Mich St
3)HOU=Suggs, DE Arz St
4)CHI=Robertson, DT Kentucky
5)DAL=Leftwich, QB Marshal
6)ARZ=Palmer, QB USC
7)MIN=Newman, CB Kansas St
8)JAX=Johnson, WR Miami
9)CAR=Gross, OT Utah
10)BAL=Sullivan, DT Georgia
11)SEA=Williams, DT Oklahoma St
12)STL=Bailey, OLB Georgia
13)NYJ=Henderson, ILB Maryland
14)NE=Harris, OT Stanford
15)SD=Jacobs, WR Florida
16)KC=Pierce, LB Kansas St
17)NO=Witten, TE Tenn
18)NO=Trufant, CB Wash St
19)NE=Peterson, DE/DT Ohio St
20)DEN=Haynes, DE Penn St.
21)CLE=Redding, DE Texas
22)NYJ=Washington, WR Tenn
23)BUF=Mathis, DB Bethune Cookman
24)IND=Woolfolk, CB Oklahoma
25)NYG=Hayes, ILB Penn St
26)SF=Lloyd, WR Illnois
27)PIT=Doss, SS Ohio
28)TEN=Steinbach, OT Georgia
29)GB=Grossman, QB Florida
30)PHI=Johnson, TE Stanford
31)OAK=Polamalu, SS USC
32)OAK=Faine, C ND

*note: this draft is who I think each team will take… this is not an evaluation of the talent of the players, nor a claim on their actual value… this is pick purely on gut and insight into some of the GMs and coaches… along with a decent understanding of needs. With luck, I think this could be a fairly accurate mock draft… but it is also fairly likely some of these players don’t get drafted in the second round, let alone the first… as I said… there is a lot of gut to this mock draft.

The Spaz
04-04-2003, 11:27 PM
You don't think the Bills would take Haynes? I would no doubt, that's just me though. I would definitely take a DT or DE with that pick. Go Bills!

Ingtar33
04-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Shoot where did haynes go? I could have sworn we had him drafted... sorry... i found him... i have this writen wrong... one sec I'll fix it...

Ingtar33
04-04-2003, 11:33 PM
I had a Denver pick from our sketch of round 2 mix in with their first round pick... now Haynes is drafted

The Spaz
04-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Well it's good that you realized you messed up. If you did this on purpose I would worry...lol:)! Go Bills!

The Spaz
04-04-2003, 11:39 PM
You have Robert Johnson TE from (Auburn) goint to Philly instead of clarke? That's different. Go Bills!

Tatonka
04-04-2003, 11:40 PM
wow.. that is alot of DTs.. way way early.. i would be surprised by that... and that is also alot of DEs way early too..

would be nice to squeaze ty warren out of the second round eh?

i also think that dallas wont give up on hutchenson that fast.. if they draft leftwich.. they say.. he is the future.

i would be fine with mathis as our 1st rounder.

it is different than most.. but i like it.. fun reading no doubt..

ing, i guess you are assuming that cincy hired a scouting department and wont take palmer? lol.. i dont know about that.

Ingtar33
04-04-2003, 11:40 PM
no I have Teyo Johnson (TE from Stanford) going to Phily

Tatonka
04-04-2003, 11:41 PM
i also havent heard much about Hayes, ILB from pennstate going in the first.

The Spaz
04-04-2003, 11:42 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Teyo Johnson refused to workout at tightend!? Go Bills!

Tatonka
04-04-2003, 11:44 PM
yeah.. i read alot of debate about teyo too.. to slow to play wr.. to weak and light to play TE.. hmm..

Ingtar33
04-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks T,

That’s what I was going for... something a bit different... it also takes into account the psychological factors... once DL starts to go early, everyone will jump the bandwagon...

You're right, Kennedy makes a little too much sense for Cinci to do it...

If you think Parcells actually believes Hutchinson or Aarter is the man to take them the distance than you're smoking something... He wouldn't hesitate to take a guy like Leftwich… especially if Suggs and Kennedy are off the board.

The Spaz
04-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Why would they draft him over clarke that doesn't make any sense to me to pick a so so WR over a natural TE in Clake. Go Bills!

Ingtar33
04-04-2003, 11:51 PM
Hayes probably shouldn't go in the first... but again necessity makes for strange draft picks (Levi Jones to Cinci at 10??)... Besides, when I was trying to figure out who the NYG would pick... he just jumped off the paper... and I thought "That’s a NYG pick!!!"

Teyo Johnson refused to workout at TE? That’s news to me (not that I've gone out west to see him)... but from the tape I've seen all I can think is that’s a WCO TE… is this high? Sure… but the Eagles have been drafting fairly strangely in recent years, so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Tatonka
04-05-2003, 01:55 AM
on hutchinsen.. i think it was just something i was reading.. that they did like him, and werent drafting a qb early.. but who knows.. just cuz i think he's a bum..lol

good draft though..

SoCalBillsFan
04-05-2003, 04:39 AM
The eagles could easily take hayes. THis is the team that drafted 5000 DBs last year.

I like the mock a lot. I agree that logically it seems there are too many DT's and DE's, but those are the guys that have performed well from recent drafts, and I think teams see them as "safe" picks right now. Last year there were a bunch of good rookie DTs, I think teams will be quicker to jump the gun on them.

I think Teyo can go in the first round. He is an ultimate mismatch at tight end-a LB won't be able to cover him. SOme team will like that and snag him in the first, I bet.

Ingtar33
04-05-2003, 12:01 PM
So true SoCal...

Well, as I said, this draft was made up with the idea of "dumb" picks... something I think is missing from most... most mock drafts are just expressions of people's personal rankings of players, not with an understanding of team needs.

Furthermore, there are often times that runs, or strange picks alter the whole makeup of the draft... look for example all the teams I have taking DLmen... why is that? Because the Bengals took Kennedy first. It throws off everyone’s expectations, and forced the issue, now teams that were thinking Redding might be there in the 2nd start to wonder... suddenly they're taking Redding in he first because it looks like the premium is on DL this year. It happens every year in the draft. Often to the detriment of the teams doing the drafting.

One more thing… I didn’t draft with a huge eye on who should be drafted in the first… many times players who are 2nd or even 3rd round talent go to a team in the first because they see something no one else does… or maybe because they really need the guy and doubt he’ll be there later.

Tatonka
04-05-2003, 12:20 PM
i think somehow guys like

chawn thompson, kelly washington, bryant johnson will find their way into the first round.. due to super impressive workouts..

i find it funny that a guy like rein long didnt make it into the first round even with your predicted run on DL:horse:

Ingtar33
04-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Over the past month my front office has been pounding me to death over my lack of enthusiasm for this DL crop... I actually don't think half of those guys is 1st round talent... but what do I know?

Anyway, I figured that if the "other" front offices were half as enthusiastic for this draft's DLmen as mine was I could be a little bit conservative on the number of DL picked in the first round... as a lot of the guys I've talked to (from other teams) think Long and Warren are both mid to late first round talent... think about that... look at this draft... how can they fit into the round?! I didn't even have an OG or a RB picked in the first round! If teams are actually that jazzed about these DL, then my mock is understating the irrational run that probably will occur at the draft.

Think about all of the many talented offensive players passed over already in my mock draft... now consider replacing two of the ones selected with DTs... that would make the second round a bonanza of offensive talent.

Tatonka
04-05-2003, 12:59 PM
so really.. it may be wise for td to try to trade down with the raiders or something.. to try and grab an extra 1st round or 2nd round pick...

Ingtar33
04-05-2003, 01:05 PM
I'm leaning that way... I could see the Raiders jump at the idea... they're short on cap room, and could be looking to jettison a 1st rounder (both of theirs for our 1st and 3rd or 4th maybe?)... Furthermore, I know they are very high on Mike Doss, and might want to move up to get him... and it's very likely that Mathis will be available toward the end of the 1st (but unlikely he'll fall to us in the 2nd).

*of course that's pure speculation

Tatonka
04-05-2003, 01:57 PM
good.. i wanna win some zone bucks.. i predicted a trade down by td this year on one of the other threads.

Earthquake Enyart
04-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Ing, you can't work for da Bears. :shakeno:

If Kennedy and Suggs are both gone like you show, da Bears would pick Newman, Gross, or Palmer.

They better have a defilulator ready for Dave McGinness if Palmer falls all the way to Arizona. :nurse:

Ingtar33
04-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Ahhh...

You say that but... look at who will be available when the Bears pick in the second...

You figure one of the remaining QBs goes to Cinci... Boller probably... That would leave a DL, LB or OL player for Detroit... and a DT for the Texans (Long or Warren)... Which leaves the Bears with their pick for QB as a choice between both of the lefties, Ragone or Sims (smart pick is Ragone... he's very Jimbo like... tough as nails... true competitor).

not a bad deal for Chicago, they get a young stud DT in Robertson (who I've heard the oddball scout claim him to be better than Kennedy) to take the place of Washington or Traylor (whichever one is the cap cut)... and they get their QB of the future in a guy who (if this were last year) would have been top 20 talent.

RedEyE
04-06-2003, 04:41 AM
Nice job Ingtar. These things are always so fickle, and so difficult to perdict. I am however, pretty certain that the Steelers will take the best QB available. Considering most others will be taken prior to the Pitt low 1st round pick, they will most likely end up with Rex Grossman. Just my opinion.

venis2k1
04-06-2003, 07:24 AM
Pretty nice Mock Ing, i was wondering what you thought about Tuskegee CB Drayton Florence, and if you had gotten a chance to see him. I personally think he could be a steal in the 3-4th round.

Ingtar33
04-06-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I normally don't get a chance to see Tuskegee... and last year was no different. Furthermore he isn't on my list of guys to see, so your guess might be as good as mine for that one. All I've heard of him is that he's faster than Roosevelt Williams (another Tuskegee CB who was a 3th round pickup by the Bears last year), and that he's just as good...

So my guess would be that he'd be an early 3rd rounder

Dicknoze69
04-06-2003, 02:52 PM
ok, maybe I'm just blind, but I didn't see DT William Joseph in your mock draft at all. Wondering if you honestly think he will fall to the second round, or if you just forgot about him completely. I figured that if Joseph somehow fell to the Bills at 23, he would be really hard to pass up.

Ingtar33
04-06-2003, 03:09 PM
No I didn't forget him... if you read the disclaimer, this MockDraft was not a rating of the players. How many times do you see guys who should go between picks 10-20 fall out of the first? It happens yearly. Joseph just happened to be a guy I couldn't find a team to take him... some of these picks are based on some personal knowledge with the GMs and front offices involved... some of these picks were based upon a sketchy understanding for team needs.

But you're right, I agonized over the Bills pick... for me it seemed to be a toss up between Mathis, Joseph, and Warren. I went with Mathis because he filled a lot of needs (CB,FS,KR,PR), provided an insane playmaking ability, and was less of a "risky" pick than the other two.

As a result Joseph just fell out of the draft as the run on DL dropped some very good offensive players into the bottom of the draft... causing a lot of teams to avoid defense in favor of "value".

In reality, I think Joseph is close to a lock to go in the first… But I ask you too look up the page at the fact that I addressed a similar question about Long and Warren (both who fell out of the 1st too)… simply put not everyone will be drafted in the 1st who deserves to.

Tatonka
04-06-2003, 05:55 PM
i would like for you to be right about taht pick..

Earthquake Enyart
04-07-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Ahhh...

You say that but... look at who will be available when the Bears pick in the second...

You figure one of the remaining QBs goes to Cinci... Boller probably... That would leave a DL, LB or OL player for Detroit... and a DT for the Texans (Long or Warren)... Which leaves the Bears with their pick for QB as a choice between both of the lefties, Ragone or Sims (smart pick is Ragone... he's very Jimbo like... tough as nails... true competitor).

not a bad deal for Chicago, they get a young stud DT in Robertson (who I've heard the oddball scout claim him to be better than Kennedy) to take the place of Washington or Traylor (whichever one is the cap cut)... and they get their QB of the future in a guy who (if this were last year) would have been top 20 talent.

I know the Bears like Simms, and if they don't take a QB in round 1, they'll take Simms in Round 2.

But.... I have a hard time seeing them pass on Palmer if he is there. I also have a hard time seeing them pass on Newmann as they could use a shut down CB. I think they will take who ever is left between Palmer, Suggs, Kennedy and Newmann.