PDA

View Full Version : How much does it take to sign JP long term?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Assuming JP had played and produced like Edwards did for those final 5 games. That's a reasonable assumption, given the history of JP's 4 years in NFL. There were good games, there were bad ones. So now entering his contract year, the management would have to make a decision: sign him long term or risk losing him. How much you think JP would ask?

Right or wrong, the Bills management pretty much avoided such a headache. In a way, Edwards bailed them out. Had he completely bombed out in those 5 games, things would be a lot difficult for the management. In my mind, Edwards had a downer in the Eagles' game and two nice ones in the Skins and Dolphins games. And I'm pretty sure to Jauron and Co., the Browns and Giants game do not count due to the almost impossible weather elements. They all brought up the comparable performance of Anderson and Manning in those games. Again let me say this: Eli was not as terrible as you guys think judging by his subsequent performces after that game. People don't just turn around like that in one week. Would it be that bad for a rookie to perform at the same level as Anderson and Eli manning these days?

venis2k1
01-18-2008, 09:24 AM
well, for what its worth, Marc Bulger signed a 6 year extention last year worth 65 million dollars.

G. Host
01-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Less than than for he never even got close to a pro bowl nor had 8 games with a quarterback passing rating of more than 100 like Marc Bulger.

HHURRICANE
01-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Many fans want to act like the weather was a non-issue in the Cleveland and Giants game but that is absolutely absurd.

As far as the Eagles game Trent deserves whatever criticism or praise he gets because the elements were a non factor. Peters left that game but you can't make excuses on that one.

JP throws a deep ball and not that accurately either. That's it for him so enjoy your new life wherever it may take you.

Edwards has tons of upside. His big, he's smart, he's mature, he can throw a deep ball, and with some experience he should hopefully be a very good QB.

jamze132
01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Unless JP had a season like Anderson from Cleveland had, he wasn't getting an extension from the current regime.

TacklingDummy
01-18-2008, 05:15 PM
JP didn't earn the money he signed for as a rookie. He should play for free the next 3 years.

YardRat
01-18-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't think the FO would try or would have tried to sign him to an extension. They would have waited until mid-season, or even let him test the FA waters.

We'll never know, and the only question worth asking regarding JP right now is what can we get for him in return via a trade.

Yasgur's Farm
01-18-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't think JP will be offered an extension... But I don't think he'll be unloaded either.

Anything could happen in '08... Ask this question after the '08 season.

Confused
01-18-2008, 06:43 PM
I will give JP a purple nurple and send him on his way.

ddaryl
01-19-2008, 10:35 AM
JP will not be offered an extension. That is guarenteed. he has been way to inconsistent to invest into him for future years.

If we do not recieve a day 1 draft pick or a decent player in return then I believe JP will still be a Bill. no reason to let him walk when he will make a decent backup. JP is not a charachter issue, he'll do his job and wait his turn for FA IMO.

Oaf
01-19-2008, 12:40 PM
JP will not accept an extension if offered unless he gets a shot to play.

Typ0
01-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I'd like to know on what basis you are saying it's a reasonable assumption if he'd played he would have produced. Why do you think he wasn't playing in the first place?

raphael120
01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
JP doesn't want to be here being a backup no matter what kind of money we throw at him. I wish people would just drop the whole JP thing. I liked him, but he had his chances and the way the FO played the thing, I don't blame him for leaving. I'd rather see him start again on someother team and finally find out for sure if it was just Buffalo or if it's just him. If he fails on another team, its safe to say we played the situation right all these years, but if he plays well, I think it's another error to chalk up to the ODB braintrust.