PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at the Willis trade...

more cowbell
01-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Obviously i'm not a Willis fan. In fact I hate his guts.

But when we traded him last off season I thought that we might not have gotten enough considering the highest pick we got was a 3rd rounder (2 of them).

Turns out one of those 3rd round picks turned out to be Trent Edwards.

And on top of that...Baltimore was awful this past year...so the third round pick we got from them for this years draft could be considered a late second round pick.

So in return for "Thrillis" we got our possible "Franchise QB" plus a great pick in this years draft. Only god knows where our team would be right now if we didn't have Trent Edwards...we would probally be talking about picking one of the awful QB's in the draft this year.

Not to mencion we already have a way better running back than "Thrillis" could have ever been.

YardRat
01-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Hopefully Edwards and whoever we get this year both pan out to be solid starters. Two decent players for an over-rated malcontent is a pretty good deal anyday.

gr8slayer
01-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I can see where you're coming from...... I guess, but we are far from stable at the QB position.

X-Era
01-18-2008, 06:18 PM

But when we traded him last off season I thought that we might not have gotten enough considering the highest pick we got was a 3rd rounder (2 of them).

And on top of that...Baltimore was awful this past year...so the third round pick we got from them for this years draft could be considered a late second round pick.

So in return for "Thrillis" we got our possible "Franchise QB" plus a great pick in this years draft. Only god knows where our team would be right now if we didn't have Trent Edwards...we would probally be talking about picking one of the awful QB's in the draft this year.

Not to mencion we already have a way better running back than "Thrillis" could have ever been.

Many things are true, but the QB's in this years draft being awful is not one.

Matt Ryan is better than ANY prospect from the Leinhart, Cutler draft... Brian Brohm is almost as good and is still way better than either Leinhart or Cutler.

gr8slayer
01-18-2008, 06:20 PM

Matt Ryan is better than ANY prospect from the Leinhart, Cutler draft... Brian Brohm is almost as good and is still way better than either Leinhart or Cutler.
I want Brennan.

X-Era
01-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I want Brennan.

I have said since day one that hes the guy I want the most.

Not because there isnt better, but because drafting him should send NO worries down Trents back, but he could very well be very good.

gr8slayer
01-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Not because there isnt better, but because drafting him should send NO worries down Trents back, but he could very well be very good.
I think he has more upside than Edwards.

Goobylal
01-18-2008, 09:40 PM

Maybe, maybe not. Predicting which QB's will succeed and which will fail isn't easy to do.

And for the record, I think Ryan and Brohm will be busts.

BillsFever21
01-19-2008, 04:49 AM
Only god knows where our team would be right now if we didn't have Trent Edwards...

We would still be a losing team watching the playoffs instead of playing in them.

This guy didn't show anything special to act like he is the next Tom Brady. A 56% completion percentage along with being unable to score an offensive TD in about half of the games he started isn't very productive in the NFL.

Willis had a great year for Baltimore and is a good RB. Two 3rd round picks isn't horrible but it is not very good either. We could've and should have gotten a 2nd out of it.

kernowboy
01-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Colt Brennan has an awful character and should not be allowed to sully the Bills uniform with his presence.

If we want to look at a QB, we can have a look at Sam Keller or Anthony Morelli, whose character issues extend to having big mouths not sexual assault.

feelthepain
01-19-2008, 07:47 AM

Baltimore wasn't awful because of Willis, they need a QB and BB was at the end of his tenure. Buffalo got good value for him in trade. RB's are easy to replace, so for Buff to get 2 3rds was a good deal and Baltimore got a probowl type RB everyone got value in that trade.

patmoran2006
01-19-2008, 08:54 AM

Did you watch the bowl game he played?

There is a 0% chance we're drafting Brennan. Or any QB early for that matter.

DynaPaul
01-19-2008, 09:04 AM
It was a great trade. We got rid of a trouble maker, got an equal/better RB in draft, and 2 good draft picks one of which got us Trent. And the sweet part is that Willis wound up on a crap team that doesn't look like it's going to be better next year and we beat them in OUR house this season!

HHURRICANE
01-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I can see where you're coming from...... I guess, but we are far from stable at the QB position.

I always make this argumnet. Who could, or can, we get that's better than Edwards right now?

There are 20 teams right now that would take Edwards in a heartbeat. Ironically, Losman is probably going to be in high demand, which is way funnier.

Be happy for what we have at QB right now.

gr8slayer
01-19-2008, 11:23 AM
I always make this argumnet. Who could, or can, we get that's better than Edwards right now?

There are 20 teams right now that would take Edwards in a heartbeat. Ironically, Losman is probably going to be in high demand, which is way funnier.

Be happy for what we have at QB right now.You are the worst kind of homer.

jdbillsfan
01-19-2008, 12:10 PM
I want Brennan.

If you are only going to give a rookie QB his first year to prove himself, then you are going to be drafting a new QB every year.

streetkings01
01-19-2008, 02:49 PM
I want Brennan.Dude, Colt Brennan is a product of a system. Why would we want Timmy Chang part 2?

gr8slayer
01-19-2008, 03:38 PM
If you are only going to give a rookie QB his first year to prove himself, then you are going to be drafting a new QB every year.
I simply have 0 faith in Edwards, that's all. If someone put a gun to my head and said pick between the two as a future prospect I'd take Brennan.I'm just as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

hydro
01-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I simply have 0 faith in Edwards, that's all. If someone put a gun to my head and said pick between the two as a future prospect I'd take Brennan.I'm just as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

You are really mind boggling. You don't have any faith in our QB yet you have a avatar of him and said that you are changing your XBL gamertage to TE5. To me that just odd...

gr8slayer
01-19-2008, 04:00 PM
You are really mind boggling. You don't have any faith in our QB yet you have a avatar of him and said that you are changing your XBL gamertage to TE5. To me that just odd...
I'll support whoever the coaching staff deems the starter just because I'm a fan of the team, but I'm not going to be a homer about it and start calling him a top ten QB or giving him any kind of title for that matter until he proves he is worth a ****. So far he has proven nothing other than he can throw a handful of TD's against the Dolphins.

Few QB's ever go five games in a row with only one TD.

Want to really boggle your mind? I own two of his jerseys and I wear them just as proudly as I did my Losman, Bledsoe, Johnson, Flutie, Kelly, etc........

hydro
01-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I'll support whoever the coaching staff deems the starter just because I'm a fan of the team, but I'm not going to be a homer about it and start calling him a top ten QB or giving him any kind of title for that matter until he proves he is worth a ****. So far he has proven nothing other than he can throw a handful of TD's against the Dolphins.

Few QB's ever go five games in a row with only one TD.

Want to really boggle your mind? I own two of his jerseys and I wear them just as proudly as I did my Losman, Bledsoe, Johnson, Flutie, Kelly, etc........

Alright I guess I can see that. I am probably in the middle of this spectrum. I have faith that Edwards will show us he can be our QB of the future but will not go as far as to say I have no doubt in my mind he will be a franchise player.

gr8slayer
01-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Alright I guess I can see that. I am probably in the middle of this spectrum. I have faith that Edwards will show us he can be our QB of the future but will not go as far as to say I have no doubt in my mind he will be a franchise player.
I have hope but I have no faith. I don't have faith in much of anything Bills related as long as Wilson is our owner.

gr8slayer
01-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Dude trust me. If Edwards pans out I will be his biggest fan.

DraftBoy
01-20-2008, 12:04 AM
One Name: Josh Johnson

jamze132
01-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Baltimore wasn't awful because of Willis, they need a QB and BB was at the end of his tenure. Buffalo got good value for him in trade. RB's are easy to replace, so for Buff to get 2 3rds was a good deal and Baltimore got a probowl type RB everyone got value in that trade.
Pro Bowl type RB? Willis MCGahee? Has he made it yet?

Night Train
01-20-2008, 06:33 AM
One Name: Josh Johnson

Thank You.

I like him by a mile over any of these " name " QB's in this draft.

The Willis trade had to happen and worked out very well for the Bills. Edwards could still be anything but he gets his shot in 2008. Lynch fits our team far better than Willis ever did. And we still have another extra pick to use this year.

Historian
01-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Pro Bowl type RB? Willis MCGahee? Has he made it yet?

I thought that was funny too...but his point is well taken:

Both teams filled needs on their respective rosters.

acehole
01-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Trent Edwards has done "0" in this league!

The Jokeman
01-20-2008, 12:59 PM

To play devil's advocate we could have kept McGahee and taken Edwards with our original 3rd Rounder. It then allow us to use our 1st Rounder for another player such as Leon Hall and because we didn't have an extra 3rd Rounder would have not been able to trade up for Poz which might have allowed us to take a guy like David Harris in the second round. Time will tell but right now could argue that

McGahee, Hall, Harris, Edwards > Lynch, Poz, Edwards, TBA.

gr8slayer
01-20-2008, 01:14 PM
To play devil's advocate we could have kept McGahee and taken Edwards with our original 3rd Rounder. It then allow us to use our 1st Rounder for another player such as Leon Hall and because we didn't have an extra 3rd Rounder would have not been able to trade up for Poz which might have allowed us to take a guy like David Harris in the second round. Time will tell but right now could argue that

McGahee, Hall, Harris, Edwards > Lynch, Poz, Edwards, TBA.
It was worth it to land Lynch.

Mr. Pink
01-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I still don't see Lynch being any better on the field than what we had out of Willis personally. I do applaud and enjoy the fact he has a better personality off of it. But, honestly, I could care less about how someone conducts themselves off the field as long as they're not getting suspended by the NFL or getting incarcerated.

gr8slayer
01-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I still don't see Lynch being any better on the field than what we had out of Willis personally. I do applaud and enjoy the fact he has a better personality off of it. But, honestly, I could care less about how someone conducts themselves off the field as long as they're not getting suspended by the NFL or getting incarcerated.
Well good for you. Marshall Faulk and I both think that he is Marshall Faulk with more power.

Mr. Pink
01-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Well good for you. Marshall Faulk and I both think that he is Marshall Faulk with more power.

Yes, Marshall Faulk with more power.

Because Lynch's 15ish? catches were very Faulkesque right?

Before you go well he was only a rookie. Faulk had 52 catches as a rookie. And only about 600 more yards from scrimmage.

Lynch is a bruising RB with little to no breakaway speed...That's Faulkesque too though, right?

Comments like that make me wonder if you actually ever saw Faulk play.

gr8slayer
01-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, Marshall Faulk with more power.

Because Lynch's 15ish? catches were very Faulkesque right?

Before you go well he was only a rookie. Faulk had 52 catches as a rookie. And only about 600 more yards from scrimmage.

Lynch is a bruising RB with little to no breakaway speed...That's Faulkesque too though, right?

Comments like that make me wonder if you actually ever saw Faulk play.
****, I know Faulk personally and watched almost every Rams game while he played and attended quite a few of his games including the Super Bowl vs. the Pats.

BTW, use your brain for once and consider the coordinator and don't give me this BS about Fairchild being Faulks coordinator, I know for a fact that Fairchild did nothing more than coach QB's while with the Rams, Martz ran every facet of the offense.

Stick to the Browns lady, I'll take Marshall's word over yours any day of the week.

Mr. Pink
01-20-2008, 03:24 PM
****, I know Faulk personally and watched almost every Rams game while he played and attending quite a few.

BTW, use your brain for once and consider the coordinator and don't give me this BS about Fairchild being Faulks coordinator, I know for a fact that Fairchild did nothing more than coach QB's while with the Rams, Martz ran every facet of the offense.

Stick to the Browns lady.

:rofl:

Jerome Harrison is Faulkesque too!

Give me a break man. Lynch is a good back, but so is Willis. Neither are anywhere near the class of Marshall Faulk, nor ever will be.

If Lynch was this great receiving asset, he would have been used. Yet we threw more TE screen/dumpoffs than we did to Lynch. So don't give me this it's all the coordinators fault BS. We ran screens and dumpoff plays, just not really to Marshawn.

I can't wait to see Lynch put up years of 300 carries for 1500 yards and 80 catches for 800 yards. Problem is, it'll never happen. There are very few players who are capable of doing this. In fact, I can only think of two. Roger Craig and Marshall.

I'll be more than happy if Marshawn can turn into a 300 1400 14 guy personally. Those are still big numbers but still not Faulkesque. For a more realistic outlook, I just hope that Lynch can average 4.3 YPC on a season and find the endzone at least 10 times a year. With that average, the yards will come.

Stick to some objectivity and having realistic expectations for players, instead of just thinking that because a guy is in our colors he's the next best player ever. It kind of surprises me that you're actually objective about Trent after what I've read from you on Marshawn repeatedly. Comparing Lynch to Faulk is like comparing Edwards to Montana. It's been done, why don't you subscribe to that theory too?

I'd like to know, where are you basing that Lynch can be a 5.0 YPC guy? Where is his breakaway speed? How are you basing that Lynch will catch 50 balls in a year, let alone 80?

To be Faulkesque you need to attain some very lofty numbers. If you're setting your expectations that high, you're gonna be very disappointed in 3 years. Which might be why you were so disappointed in McGahee, yet Lynch's numbers were no better than Willis'.

gr8slayer
01-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Stick to some objectivity and having realistic expectations for players, instead of just thinking that because a guy is in our colors he's the next best player ever.

I've been talking highly of Lynch since the day we got rid of McGahee, need proof, go back into the archives. I'm the most critical person when it comes to the Bills and I have spoken poorly of Lynch several times over the season when it was deserved.

I wasn't the one who initially compared Lynch to Faulk, Faulk was, I simply echo his thoughts now since he would know better than anyone.

BTW, when did I say that McGahee wasn't a good RB? He's still one of my favorite all-time Bills after his 2004 performance. I just think he's hit his peak and Lynch hasn't come close to that yet.

DraftBoy
01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Well whoever it was who said that Lynch is like Marshall Faulk is on crack

Goobylal
01-20-2008, 04:09 PM
if anything, Lynch is like a poorman's Faulk. If he were faster and a more natural pass-catcher, I'd make the comparison.