Who should we look to in FA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should we look to in FA?

I know this market will not shake up until after the draft and a number of players will be resigned, but looking at the Kffl.com website, who would you like to see the front office going after to improve the team? I have broken down by position who I'd like to see being picked up

QB: If JP leaves we cannot rely on Hamdan or maybe a latter round pick up to be Trent's bag man. There are some interesting names like Grossman and McCown but at this moment, picking up Todd Collins again might be the best way to go. Veteran depth, played in cold weather, not a threat.

WR: The standout here is Bryant Johnson. Only 26, the right size at 6ft3, 218lbs, and keen to be a No2. There are some one season wonders but no-one else IMO who could bring as much

FB: Dan Kreider is available and I think he'd really help Marshawn

TE: Jerramy Stevens anyone? I think this need will be addressed in the draft

OL: Justin Smiley is an UFA, but lacks power. Faneca will be too expensive but Jake Scott makes a nice RG. And I think a flyer on Nick Leckey to play C, would be a good idea. He's 25, 6ft3, 300lbs and could grow into the role.

DL: Suggs will either stay with Baltimore or move to Phoenix. Haynesworth will likely be resigned, but I'd like to see Randy Starks in a Bills uniform. One of Travis LaBoy or Antwan Odom would also be nice to see.

LB: I'm a fan of Teddy Lehman, and think signing him to a big contract will be money well spent.

DB: There are one or two interesting names here like Charles Tillman, but I think we will stand pat here and make draft someone in the first 4 rounds.

So ideally my FA list goes like this

1. Teddy Lehman
    2. Bryant Johnson
    3. Todd Collins (we need a back up)
    4. Randy Starks
    5. Antwan Odom
    6. Nick Leckey
    7. Dan Kreider

All will, with the addition of 9/10 rookies, significantly improve the quality of the team

Thoughts?
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Who should we look to in FA?

Everyone may differ a bit on certain players. You could add Ernest Wilford to the mix at WR. I agree about finding a TE in a draft loaded with quality at that position.

Those are pretty solid thoughts. Nice job.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Good post, kernowboy. The only place I would disagree a little is with Jake Scott at RG. I think that Brad Butler will become one of our very best O linemen in the next couple of years.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• jdbillsfan
        • Oct 2002

I like Antwan Odom. He would be an upgrade over Kelsay.

I am not really sold on Bryant Johnson. I think he has had his chances with Fitz and Anquan being injured and he hasn't really done much. Jeremy Urban or whatever his name is, seems to produce more when Boldin or Fitz is out.

Comment

• Bmax
          • Aug 2003

DT and De are overpaid in FA unless the guy is a stud- Haynesworth- .. don't pay big money...Better off getting a vet to rotate and find a guy in the draft watch the Kid from Iowa st in the shrine game .. I hear he may be a good pick in rd 3-5.

Rubin-DT

bMAX

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Justin Gage, WR.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Bryant Johnson or Ernest Wilford would be all I'd ask for. Draft will provide the rest.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Unrealistic but fantastic moves:

Terrell Suggs
                Trade for Roy Williams
                Albert Haynesworth

Realistic:

Karlos Dansby
                Ernest Wilford
                Randy Starks

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

You think TODD COLLINS would want to come back to BUFFALO and play???

You guys must be smoking some good SH##
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                    • Feb 2004

I would love to see SUGGS and WIlford and FA would be a success, and have a good draft...
                    GO Gators!!!!!!
                    GO GATORS!!

Comment

I think Wilford was re-signed to a deal when he was an RFA last year.

Collins is 36 and has more chance of playing in Buffalo behind Edwards than behind Campbell in Washington. He would be excellent veteran backup for a couple of years

Suggs will either re-sign but has made it clear he'd like to play in Phoenix so that is where he'd likely go.

Some extra names I have found who would be good pick ups include:

Marcus Trufant, CB - if not franchised would be a superb signing
                      Jared Allen, DE - but he does like the booze
                      LJ Smith, TE - not the best last year but he was injured

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

I have a few names I'd be interested in coming here....

WR Justin Gage
                        LB Boss Bailey
                        C Jeff Faine
                        CB Dominique Foxworth
                        QB Josh McCown

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

A plan I could see happening and would approve of.

QB Mark Brunnell: The crop of veteran UFAs is very lean and can't see Todd Collins wanting to return to Buffalo but if he did I might take him over Brunell. Either one would fill in as a veteran QB to have behind Trent Edwards. Another option would be Jaime Martin.

WR My first choice is Jerry Porter assuming he voids his contract to be a FA. As he has experience in the WCO and think is the best option as a #2/#1 WR next to Lee Evans. Others worth pursuing in order of preference are Bryant Johnson, Justin Gage, DJ Hackett, Ernest Wilford.

NT Ellis Wyms. While I also like Ian Scott I went with the Wyms as both offer experience in the Tampa 2 NT Wyms was able to play last year while Scott wasn't. Although Scott is two years younger and does offer better size, Wyms might be the safer pick. Russell Davis could also be a factor but think we go with the younger Wyms.

DE Al Wallace, was brought in to replace Hargrove last year and while we didn't get a chance to see him he may get another chance to replace Hargove who's been reportedly suspended for the year and likely never to be seen again.

OLB Landon Johnson. I can't see the Bills spending big time money on a guy like Briggs or Dansby, Johnson has been a reliable WLB for the Spikes and should be an upgrade over Ellison.

CB Travis Fisher. Has played for Ferrell in the past and last year showed he could play an entire season and returned to his rookie form. At worst could be an upgrade over Kiwaukee Thomas, at best could compete with Greer for the starting CB spot opposite McGee.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                            A plan I could see happening and would approve of.

QB Mark Brunnell: The crop of veteran UFAs is very lean and can't see Todd Collins wanting to return to Buffalo but if he did I might take him over Brunell. Either one would fill in as a veteran QB to have behind Trent Edwards. Another option would be Jaime Martin.

WR My first choice is Jerry Porter assuming he voids his contract to be a FA. As he has experience in the WCO and think is the best option as a #2/#1 WR next to Lee Evans. Others worth pursuing in order of preference are Bryant Johnson, Justin Gage, DJ Hackett, Ernest Wilford.

NT Ellis Wyms. While I also like Ian Scott I went with the Wyms as both offer experience in the Tampa 2 NT Wyms was able to play last year while Scott wasn't. Although Scott is two years younger and does offer better size, Wyms might be the safer pick. Russell Davis could also be a factor but think we go with the younger Wyms.

DE Al Wallace, was brought in to replace Hargrove last year and while we didn't get a chance to see him he may get another chance to replace Hargove who's been reportedly suspended for the year and likely never to be seen again.

OLB Landon Johnson. I can't see the Bills spending big time money on a guy like Briggs or Dansby, Johnson has been a reliable WLB for the Spikes and should be an upgrade over Ellison.

CB Travis Fisher. Has played for Ferrell in the past and last year showed he could play an entire season and returned to his rookie form. At worst could be an upgrade over Kiwaukee Thomas, at best could compete with Greer for the starting CB spot opposite McGee.
                            Good post, but who are the Spikes??

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by LEFTY
                              Good post, but who are the Spikes??
                              Good catch. the Spikes are the Bengals aka TKO's former team I guess I subconsciously put that in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X