PDA

View Full Version : Who should we look to in FA?

kernowboy
01-19-2008, 07:04 AM
I know this market will not shake up until after the draft and a number of players will be resigned, but looking at the Kffl.com website, who would you like to see the front office going after to improve the team? I have broken down by position who I'd like to see being picked up

QB: If JP leaves we cannot rely on Hamdan or maybe a latter round pick up to be Trent's bag man. There are some interesting names like Grossman and McCown but at this moment, picking up Todd Collins again might be the best way to go. Veteran depth, played in cold weather, not a threat.

WR: The standout here is Bryant Johnson. Only 26, the right size at 6ft3, 218lbs, and keen to be a No2. There are some one season wonders but no-one else IMO who could bring as much

FB: Dan Kreider is available and I think he'd really help Marshawn

TE: Jerramy Stevens anyone? I think this need will be addressed in the draft

OL: Justin Smiley is an UFA, but lacks power. Faneca will be too expensive but Jake Scott makes a nice RG. And I think a flyer on Nick Leckey to play C, would be a good idea. He's 25, 6ft3, 300lbs and could grow into the role.

DL: Suggs will either stay with Baltimore or move to Phoenix. Haynesworth will likely be resigned, but I'd like to see Randy Starks in a Bills uniform. One of Travis LaBoy or Antwan Odom would also be nice to see.

LB: I'm a fan of Teddy Lehman, and think signing him to a big contract will be money well spent.

DB: There are one or two interesting names here like Charles Tillman, but I think we will stand pat here and make draft someone in the first 4 rounds.

So ideally my FA list goes like this

1. Teddy Lehman
2. Bryant Johnson
3. Todd Collins (we need a back up)
4. Randy Starks
5. Antwan Odom
6. Nick Leckey
7. Dan Kreider

All will, with the addition of 9/10 rookies, significantly improve the quality of the team

Thoughts?

Night Train
01-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Everyone may differ a bit on certain players. You could add Ernest Wilford to the mix at WR. I agree about finding a TE in a draft loaded with quality at that position.

Those are pretty solid thoughts. Nice job.

Jan Reimers
01-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Good post, kernowboy. The only place I would disagree a little is with Jake Scott at RG. I think that Brad Butler will become one of our very best O linemen in the next couple of years.

jdbillsfan
01-19-2008, 12:35 PM
I like Antwan Odom. He would be an upgrade over Kelsay.

I am not really sold on Bryant Johnson. I think he has had his chances with Fitz and Anquan being injured and he hasn't really done much. Jeremy Urban or whatever his name is, seems to produce more when Boldin or Fitz is out.

Bmax
01-19-2008, 01:43 PM
DT and De are overpaid in FA unless the guy is a stud- Haynesworth- .. don't pay big money...Better off getting a vet to rotate and find a guy in the draft watch the Kid from Iowa st in the shrine game .. I hear he may be a good pick in rd 3-5.

Rubin-DT

bMAX

YardRat
01-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Justin Gage, WR.

Yasgur's Farm
01-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Bryant Johnson or Ernest Wilford would be all I'd ask for. Draft will provide the rest.

X-Era
01-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Unrealistic but fantastic moves:

Terrell Suggs
Trade for Roy Williams
Albert Haynesworth

Realistic:

Karlos Dansby
Ernest Wilford
Randy Starks

tampabay25690
01-19-2008, 04:23 PM
You think TODD COLLINS would want to come back to BUFFALO and play???

You guys must be smoking some good SH##

tampabay25690
01-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I would love to see SUGGS and WIlford and FA would be a success, and have a good draft...

kernowboy
01-19-2008, 04:51 PM
I think Wilford was re-signed to a deal when he was an RFA last year.

Collins is 36 and has more chance of playing in Buffalo behind Edwards than behind Campbell in Washington. He would be excellent veteran backup for a couple of years

Suggs will either re-sign but has made it clear he'd like to play in Phoenix so that is where he'd likely go.

Some extra names I have found who would be good pick ups include:

Marcus Trufant, CB - if not franchised would be a superb signing
Jared Allen, DE - but he does like the booze
LJ Smith, TE - not the best last year but he was injured

Mr. Pink
01-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I have a few names I'd be interested in coming here....

WR Justin Gage
LB Boss Bailey
C Jeff Faine
CB Dominique Foxworth
QB Josh McCown

The Jokeman
01-19-2008, 08:21 PM
A plan I could see happening and would approve of.

QB Mark Brunnell: The crop of veteran UFAs is very lean and can't see Todd Collins wanting to return to Buffalo but if he did I might take him over Brunell. Either one would fill in as a veteran QB to have behind Trent Edwards. Another option would be Jaime Martin.

WR My first choice is Jerry Porter assuming he voids his contract to be a FA. As he has experience in the WCO and think is the best option as a #2/#1 WR next to Lee Evans. Others worth pursuing in order of preference are Bryant Johnson, Justin Gage, DJ Hackett, Ernest Wilford.

NT Ellis Wyms. While I also like Ian Scott I went with the Wyms as both offer experience in the Tampa 2 NT Wyms was able to play last year while Scott wasn't. Although Scott is two years younger and does offer better size, Wyms might be the safer pick. Russell Davis could also be a factor but think we go with the younger Wyms.

DE Al Wallace, was brought in to replace Hargrove last year and while we didn't get a chance to see him he may get another chance to replace Hargove who's been reportedly suspended for the year and likely never to be seen again.

OLB Landon Johnson. I can't see the Bills spending big time money on a guy like Briggs or Dansby, Johnson has been a reliable WLB for the Spikes and should be an upgrade over Ellison.

CB Travis Fisher. Has played for Ferrell in the past and last year showed he could play an entire season and returned to his rookie form. At worst could be an upgrade over Kiwaukee Thomas, at best could compete with Greer for the starting CB spot opposite McGee.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-20-2008, 07:44 AM

QB Mark Brunnell: The crop of veteran UFAs is very lean and can't see Todd Collins wanting to return to Buffalo but if he did I might take him over Brunell. Either one would fill in as a veteran QB to have behind Trent Edwards. Another option would be Jaime Martin.

WR My first choice is Jerry Porter assuming he voids his contract to be a FA. As he has experience in the WCO and think is the best option as a #2/#1 WR next to Lee Evans. Others worth pursuing in order of preference are Bryant Johnson, Justin Gage, DJ Hackett, Ernest Wilford.

NT Ellis Wyms. While I also like Ian Scott I went with the Wyms as both offer experience in the Tampa 2 NT Wyms was able to play last year while Scott wasn't. Although Scott is two years younger and does offer better size, Wyms might be the safer pick. Russell Davis could also be a factor but think we go with the younger Wyms.

DE Al Wallace, was brought in to replace Hargrove last year and while we didn't get a chance to see him he may get another chance to replace Hargove who's been reportedly suspended for the year and likely never to be seen again.

OLB Landon Johnson. I can't see the Bills spending big time money on a guy like Briggs or Dansby, Johnson has been a reliable WLB for the Spikes and should be an upgrade over Ellison.

CB Travis Fisher. Has played for Ferrell in the past and last year showed he could play an entire season and returned to his rookie form. At worst could be an upgrade over Kiwaukee Thomas, at best could compete with Greer for the starting CB spot opposite McGee.

Good post, but who are the Spikes??

The Jokeman
01-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Good post, but who are the Spikes??
Good catch. the Spikes are the Bengals aka TKO's former team I guess I subconsciously put that in there.

Confused
01-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Trade JP and a third for Roy Williams
Fred Davis or Martellus Bennett
Boss Bailey at LB
Owen Schmitt at FB (youtube this guy....what a ****** beast!!!)
Draft Rogers-Cromaterie (big, fast, ballhawk, also a sick KR)
and our surprise no1 pick.......DeSean Jackson (to replace Evans when he asks for more than Ralphy will pay. Plus in the meantime, a 4 receiver set of Evans, Williams, Jackson and Parrish is about as good as it gets....)
Sign, gulp, Daunte Culpepper, but still draft a project QB in rounds 5-7.

HHURRICANE
01-20-2008, 09:57 AM

Never, ever, bring a former starter in as a backup. Edwards, like Eli, Ben, Phillip and Vince will struggle at some point. I don't need Brunnell lobbying to start.

We need a guy like Collins who likes getting overpaid to sit on the bench. My favorite kind of backup. A guy that can win you a game, maybe two, while the starter recovers.

The Jokeman
01-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Never, ever, bring a former starter in as a backup. Edwards, like Eli, Ben, Phillip and Vince will struggle at some point. I don't need Brunnell lobbying to start.

We need a guy like Collins who likes getting overpaid to sit on the bench. My favorite kind of backup. A guy that can win you a game, maybe two, while the starter recovers.
Do you honestly believe that Todd Collins would ever return here to play? I highly doubt it then the only other viable option I see be Jaime Martin.

Confused
01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
cough, culpepper, cough cough.

bigbub2352
01-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Karlos Dansby
Bryant Johnson/ Ernest Wilford/ Jerry Porter
Haynsworth/ Kelly

YardRat
01-20-2008, 11:30 AM
**** Culpepper. He still has 'phin-stank on him.

bflojohn
01-20-2008, 05:29 PM
In a reasonable sense, the Bills could make a splashy signing and 3 or 4 mid-level additions. As an example, signing Corey Williams at DT with a push to add a WR such as Ernest Wilford would set the tone. The Indianapolis Colts are up against it for keeping everyone, so make a restricted free agent contract offer to TE Ben Utecht. Strictly a hit or miss proposition, but I think that it would work!! Finally, Drayton Florence is 26 years old and an unrestricted FA, so he could be the final piece in the free agency puzzle.
Then the draft yields OLB Keith Rivers in the first, RB Ray Rice in the second ( because it becomes Best Player Available!!). Follow up with Steve Justice the center out of Wake Forest and DE Tommy Blake in the third and I'd say that this offseason would be considered a unqualified success!!!

BillsFanInNM
01-20-2008, 08:42 PM
I was just wondering, who was the last FA offensive playmaker the Bills have brought in that has acctually made any kind of significant impact? I'm honestly stumped by this. :confused:

As for who I'd like to see brought in

at WR either Bryant Johnson or Ernest Wilford, LB's Karlos Dansby or Boss Bailey, and I think just about any DT we bring in would be an upgrade over Jefferson.

The Jokeman
01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
I was just wondering, who was the last FA offensive playmaker the Bills have brought in that has acctually made any kind of significant impact? I'm honestly stumped by this. :confused:

As for who I'd like to see brought in

at WR either Bryant Johnson or Ernest Wilford, LB's Karlos Dansby or Boss Bailey, and I think just about any DT we bring in would be an upgrade over Jefferson.
If not counting Dockery and Langston Walker. I would have to go with Larry Centers.

BillsFanInNM
01-21-2008, 12:30 PM
If not counting Dockery and Langston Walker. I would have to go with Larry Centers.

Thanks Jokeman, I did mean "skill position" players...its hard to believe its been 7 years since then...you'd think we'd have stumbled into atleast one in that amount of time, but so goes our luck as Bills fans. :sigh: