PDA

View Full Version : I said it last year and I'm saying it now, we need leaders!!

HHURRICANE
01-20-2008, 09:38 AM
This team is lacking intensity and leadership on both sides of the ball!! I said it last year and it was so evident on the field that it was really sad.

Look at how much better the D played once Hargrove got back on the field. Sad that this guy brought the most enthusiasm on the D.

Schobel is the highest paid guy on the field and he's a total introvert. When Bruce was here he wasn't mister "rah-rah" with the other players. Matter-of-fact he was an arrogant SOB. I knew him fairly well at the time. However, he was a monster and guys loved playing next to him even if they didn't like him.

Lynch is the first guy in a long time who makes everyone play harder. We need guys like this desperately!!!! I think Poz could be another one in time.

We need intensity and leadership. We need it badly!! Drafting a bunch of boy scouts isn't going to win us a SB. That's for sure.

jchild178
01-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Awesome post couldnt agree more! Leaders on this team are big time needed....

LABillsFan
01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I agree with you to a certain extent. In player interviews, there has been talk how TE has a presence in the huddle. One was done by Royal. I also like how Whitner runs his pressers, I see him having the quality as well. Is there a true "leader" on the team right now, I can't say there is but this will be a defining year and I can see some stepping up especially if they are not ham strung in the game plan. That being said, a smart WR with a track record can do wonders for the teams confidence but the leader will have to emerge from the players the Bills have on the roster right now, whether it be Poz or Whitner or TE, we'll have to wait and see.

X-Era
01-20-2008, 12:27 PM
This team is lacking intensity and leadership on both sides of the ball!! I said it last year and it was so evident on the field that it was really sad.

Look at how much better the D played once Hargrove got back on the field. Sad that this guy brought the most enthusiasm on the D.

Schobel is the highest paid guy on the field and he's a total introvert. When Bruce was here he wasn't mister "rah-rah" with the other players. Matter-of-fact he was an arrogant SOB. I knew him fairly well at the time. However, he was a monster and guys loved playing next to him even if they didn't like him.

Lynch is the first guy in a long time who makes everyone play harder. We need guys like this desperately!!!! I think Poz could be another one in time.

We need intensity and leadership. We need it badly!! Drafting a bunch of boy scouts isn't going to win us a SB. That's for sure.

I think the intensity is there but we do lack the leadership.

Edwards isnt the blow-hard that JP was, but I think he will develop into a solid leader.

I think its critical that we add players who are rah rah guys. Dont know who it might be though.

Mr. Pink
01-20-2008, 01:00 PM
The team missed Fletch's leadership last year no doubt.

There's nothing wrong with out with the old and in with the new, but you still need a happy medium of guys who have been around, know the ropes and are leaders in the lockerroom.

We jettisoned the last of those guys last year....Spikes and Fletch and had NO one to replace them on the leadership side of things. Before that EMo was jettisoned, Sam Adams, Milloy.

It's safe to say this team basically quit the last three weeks, in part because of no leaders to step up and keep the guys motivated.

jamze132
01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
We need some NCOs on the team...

Oaf
01-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I think that no one being the clear cut leader actually helped our young players take on the leadership on this team as a whole.

I see what you're saying though.

R. Rich
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Get ready to say it next year too, right after the Bills announce some changes to shake things up and get the team back into the playoffs.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-22-2008, 03:17 AM
I think that you are ignoring the fact that, after the injuries that they suffered in week 1 and 2, Whitner took it on himself to invite the entire team to his house every week for the rest of the season on their "off" day, to study their playbooks, watch film and bond together as a team. That is leadership. You may not have seen it, but it was there and players remarked about it to the press, crediting the weekly get togethers for helping them get through all of the adversity that the team had during the season.

It is hard for rookies and new players to a team to assume leadership roles: they have to prove themselves to their teammates first. The Bills have turned over a lot of their roster over the last two seasons, which means that its going to take time for some of the potential leaders on the team to emerge.

But, leaders have emerged and will continue to emerge. A player doesn't have to jump around and yell a lot on the field to be a leader (the Bills had a lot of guys who jumped around, pumped their chests and yelled a lot in 2005, but nobody listened to them in the lockerroom when the team fell apart). But, he has to be someone who has the respect of his teammates and will be followed when he steps forward to lead.

Whitner has already established himself as a leader on the defense. Kelsay, too. And, I expect that Posluzny will also if he is able to return to form and plays well when the season starts. D.Dockery started to be more vocal on the offense--Peters, too--and I expect that he and Peters will become leaders on the offense. If Edwards can establish himself as being worthy of the starting QB job in TC and the preseason, I think that he will start to emerge as more of a leader as he solidifies the respect of his offensive teammates. M.Lynch also appears to be a potential leader who may feel that he can step forward more now that he is no longer a rookie.

I wouldn't worry about the Bills having leaders. As long as they keep bringing in quality, high-character people, leaders will emerge in the lockerroom. Maybe not guys who jump around and yell a lot on the field, but guys who the others on the team will listen to and follow.

(J.Unitas was not a very vocal, emotional leader, but was a guy that his teammates had complete confidence in and would follow on the field.)

Oaf
01-22-2008, 02:12 PM
I did not even realize Whitner did that. Once the D is healthy and we get a few more starting caliber players, the pressure on him should be alieviated a bit. If he doesn't become a playmaker then, he likely never will.

patmoran2006
01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
I think guys like Trent, Marshawn, Poz and Whitner are/will develop into leaders of this team.... If you ask me, more than anything they simply need more TALENT, especially on the offensive side with guys who can actually make plays more than once a month.

Whitner is probably the team "leader" right now.. The problem with him is I'm not sure at this point he'll amount to much more than a dime a dozen safety in this league. Two years running and I've seen very little impact, and very few plays made that really mattered.

gr8slayer
01-22-2008, 08:25 PM
I think guys like Trent, Marshawn, Poz and Whitner are/will develop into leaders of this team.... If you ask me, more than anything they simply need more TALENT, especially on the offensive side with guys who can actually make plays more than once a month.

Whitner is probably the team "leader" right now.. The problem with him is I'm not sure at this point he'll amount to much more than a dime a dozen safety in this league. Two years running and I've seen very little impact, and very few plays made that really mattered.
Crowell......

R. Rich
01-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Crowell......

......needs to bullk up and shed more blocks?

gr8slayer
01-22-2008, 09:00 PM
......needs to bullk up and shed more blocks?
So do all of our LB's, that doesn't mean that he isn't a leader.....

HHURRICANE
01-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Crowell and Whitner are not going to lead this team anywhere. They are not talented enough to be the kind of leaders I'm talking about.

You need some guys that carry this team on their back. Crowell and Whitnber on another team wouldn't even be discussed as team leaders.

John Doe
01-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Crowell and Whitner are not going to lead this team anywhere. They are not talented enough to be the kind of leaders I'm talking about.

You need some guys that carry this team on their back. Crowell and Whitnber on another team wouldn't even be discussed as team leaders.

What you seem to be saying now is that we need superstars.

Players like Kelsay and Whitner can be leaders without being superstars.

Hargrove is/was neither.

venis2k1
01-28-2008, 04:40 PM
The problem with leaders is....they need credability. You wanna follow someone who has been there before. Just off the top of my head, how many players on the bills 53 man roster APPEARED in a single playoff game????

Off the top of my head...A-train his rookie year in 01...Dockery and Royal played in a loss in 05...Jerametrius Butler in ST. Louis...Larry Tripplett is the only one with any real postseason experiance in INDY. Thats it.

Wally The Barber
01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
I agreed with you last year and I am agreeing with you now!

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Sabres have the same problem

jmb1099
01-29-2008, 04:50 AM
Lots of youth, lots of injuries, and on offense a micro managing obstinate, incompetent OC. I agree with FTY that the team basically gave up in the last few games, but some of that was emotional fatigue. When you think about all the injuries, the QB controversy, the players calling out the OC, it was a mess of a year.
I think we've already identified potential leaders for this year coming. Lynch is a lead by example kind of guy so I'm not convinced he can be the team leader. His work ethic will inspire, but early indications suggest he isn't going to hold anyone accountable. On offense you really need your QB to step up and take on that responsibility. Now that Edwards has a year under his belt, I think we'll some maturity set in. Time will tell.
On Defense it looks like Poz will be the guy. He continued to show up at games and watch film with the team. That is a leader in the making. Whitner is overwhelmed. It seemed like he was playing with different squad members every other week. That being said I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw. Crowell is still living in the shadow that Takeo and Fletch left. Poz and Edwards are my predictions.