Sabres FO looks dumb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Sabres FO looks dumb.

Did you guys read the Buffalo News regarding the Sabres waiting until last week to look into Briere's deal with Philly??? This FO is looking for every excuse to take the blame for how they've screwed this franchise, but they're looking in the wrong place. All they have to do is look in the mirror!

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Sabres FO looks dumb.

They are dumb.

But then again, being hand-cuffed by a poor local economy certainly doesn't help them rise above their stupidity any.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

The team spent to the cap last season, so I don't think it's an issue of money. It's about being afraid to commit to star players long term, unless they're forced to (Vanek).
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Part of it most certainly is money. Neither franchise in this city have the financial means to throw real money around like others in their respective leagues.

We work on a tight budget in WNY, and the results show up on the field and on the ice.

Couple that with less-than-stellar front office personelland it's a nice recipe for failure.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
          Did you guys read the Buffalo News regarding the Sabres waiting until last week to look into Briere's deal with Philly??? This FO is looking for every excuse to take the blame for how they've screwed this franchise, but they're looking in the wrong place. All they have to do is look in the mirror!

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...ry/256160.html

I don't see where you are getting they waited until next week. It's not even the Sabres conducting the investigation. Get your facts straight if you are going to throw accusations around.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Drury deal revisited

For his part, Quinn acknowledged he made a mistake in not accepting a proposal from Chris Drury and watching him walk. Quinn still insisted that the Sabres never reached a tentative agreement. It continues to be a source of debate.

Drury presented a four-year deal worth $21.5 million sometime last fall and waited for the Sabres to send back what he thought was an agreement. While waiting for paperwork that never came, he decided to play the freeagent market. It came up in a discussion about the fact Briere was prepared to sign a five-year deal for $25 million.

“I won’t concede that the Briere [contract] was ever there, but Drury was,” Quinn said. “I think I’ve admitted publicly that [Drury] was a mistake. I like Danny. I don’t ever believe that it was there, I really don’t.”

FYI: The Briere deal was there, too. The Sabres never found out because they never made him an offer until three days before free agency opened. By then, it was too late.

Onward.
            This quote pisses me off the most. Larry Quinn admitted that they made a mistake not taking that really generous offer from Chris Drury. Well, duh! You ****ing moron! You could have had BOTH Drury and Briere for only $5 million a year each.

You are the main reason why this team is nothing like last year. You tore apart the team that was 1 period away from the Stanley Cup Finals a couple years ago, and was in the Eastern Conference Finals last year. Thanks a lot, Darcy Regier, Larry Quinn and Tom Golisano!!!

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Larry is the Beast, and Darcy is his prophet.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Nighthawk
                Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                I don't see where you are getting they waited until next week. It's not even the Sabres conducting the investigation. Get your facts straight if you are going to throw accusations around.
                Read the article...yes, they were the ones to call the NHL to start the investigation. Seriously, you need to get your facts straight.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Read the article...yes, they were the ones to call the NHL to start the investigation. Seriously, you need to get your facts straight.
                  when did they call? Was it last week? yesterday? Several months ago?

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...ry/256160.html

The article is poorly worded for WHEN the investigation was held, but I did find this that might shed some light.

Haney wound up having a threeway conversation with an NHL investigator and a players’ association representative, all because someone supposedly overheard the woman speaking to Sylvie Briere about moving to Philly. Haney didn’t recall any such conversation, which is what she told investigators last fall.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                      • Aug 2002

Good ol' Bucky
                      I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LABillsFan
                        Good ol' Bucky
                        You can say that again...What I don't understand is why the Buffalo snooze doesn't fire this guy. The Buffalo News fired Jim Kelley a HOF Hockey Writer because they didn't like some of the columns that he wrote, Kelley didn't like the team that we had but he didn't come out and attack them Like ****y Gleason does. Yes Kelley did come out and write an article about Hasek though he hated Hasek while he was covering the Buffalo Sabres' first round playoff series against the Ottawa Senators. After Sabres goaltender Dominik Hašek claimed to be injured with a knee pop in game three of the series, Kelley wrote a column the next day that accused Hašek of having "poor mental toughness." After game five of the series, Kelley approached Hašek for an interview. When he saw Kelley, Hašek unexpectedly yelled at him, pushed him and subsequently ripped his shirt off. He later issued a a formal apology to Kelley, and was suspended three games and fined $10,000 for his actions. But Kelley knew how to report and write columns. Not like ****y Gleason making up false accusitions and going after the Sabres front office when he has no proof of what happened in the Sabres front office. Also doesn't it seem funny that when the Sabres were on the 6 game winning streak he had nothing to write about but now that the Sabres are losing he's bashing the Sabres front office.
                        Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 01-20-2008, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Jim Kelley was never fired. He left for a more lucrative offer when FoxSports was started. He became the lead hockey writer for their on-line service...

Now, as far as the Sabres FO? I just won't believe anything they say for one simple reason. They haven't replaced what they lost. Whether they screwed the pooch and lost the two captains, purposely let them go or the two simply didn't want to play for the Sabres is irrelevant. The FO hasn't brought in anybody to replace them...they are trying to do it from within - which might be a good thing down the road but sucks now. There was a plan - they had no intentions of resigning them and they were content letting the kids learn on the job.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                          X