PDA

View Full Version : My Opinion on the FO moves

User Manuel
01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Ok, I have been away in the great white north(IE Watertown, Ogdensburg, Champlain) and all hell breaks loose. so, instead of responding to all the various threads, here is my two cents (if you care)

First, I find it no surprise at all that we promoted from within. Brandon was a bit of a surprise in my eyes, I thought it would be Overdorf. what this signals to me is this: Ralph is comfortable with the direction Marv has set the team and is loathe to cede control to any one person again. Is this good? It is IF you believe that Marv has us on the right track. I do. It certainly pales in contrast to a Parcells type move. Say what you will, but I think the Bills front office has been very competent since the departure of Donahoe and I am willing to accept this structure if it means following the same path Marv began. They have a good array of talent here Brandon has doen a fine job of marketing and obviously knows how to run an office and he has played the game. Frankly, I think Marv was more of an overseer and ceded much of his authority to Overdorf, Guy and Modrak. I doubt this changes, I doubt we will see unilateral decisions from Brandon. Therefore, all said I am fine with the move because I am fine with the front office staff the way it is.

As for Turk. Hmmmm, I am not a sure on him. Frankly, it can't get much worse. Fairchild always seemed stuck in the middle in my opinion. He had pieces for a power game, but he also had pieces for a wideout attack and could never arrive at an identity. I hope Schoenert decides on an identity and sticks with it. I think that has been half of JP and even Trants problem. We start the year with this "tough running mentality and then we are suddenly running a 3 WR set with no FB. Then without a FB we are running power sets with TE as wing backs and blocking schemes that dont seem to fit. Scatterbrain. It drives us all crazy. If Turk picks an identity and the FO fills to order things will improve tenfold.

Of course, I might be wrong and if Ralph isn't at least competitive in the free agent market it is pointless anyways.

bigbub2352
01-22-2008, 10:39 AM
This is as critical a year as the last 8, we have the cap space and the draft postion and picks to really make a statment this year, we should also extend Evans and keep this offense together, while addin weapons it worked pretty well for INdy,
Moves need to be made and the players are out there
Schonert is scary at OC, but being a player and coach in the NFL should make him more suitable for playcalling

patmoran2006
01-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Ok, I have been away in the great white north(IE Watertown, Ogdensburg, Champlain) and all hell breaks loose. so, instead of responding to all the various threads, here is my two cents (if you care)

First, I find it no surprise at all that we promoted from within. Brandon was a bit of a surprise in my eyes, I thought it would be Overdorf. what this signals to me is this: Ralph is comfortable with the direction Marv has set the team and is loathe to cede control to any one person again. Is this good? It is IF you believe that Marv has us on the right track. I do. It certainly pales in contrast to a Parcells type move. Say what you will, but I think the Bills front office has been very competent since the departure of Donahoe and I am willing to accept this structure if it means following the same path Marv began. They have a good array of talent here Brandon has doen a fine job of marketing and obviously knows how to run an office and he has played the game. Frankly, I think Marv was more of an overseer and ceded much of his authority to Overdorf, Guy and Modrak. I doubt this changes, I doubt we will see unilateral decisions from Brandon. Therefore, all said I am fine with the move because I am fine with the front office staff the way it is.

As for Turk. Hmmmm, I am not a sure on him. Frankly, it can't get much worse. Fairchild always seemed stuck in the middle in my opinion. He had pieces for a power game, but he also had pieces for a wideout attack and could never arrive at an identity. I hope Schoenert decides on an identity and sticks with it. I think that has been half of JP and even Trants problem. We start the year with this "tough running mentality and then we are suddenly running a 3 WR set with no FB. Then without a FB we are running power sets with TE as wing backs and blocking schemes that dont seem to fit. Scatterbrain. It drives us all crazy. If Turk picks an identity and the FO fills to order things will improve tenfold.

Of course, I might be wrong and if Ralph isn't at least competitive in the free agent market it is pointless anyways.
Last line says it all. It all comes down to how competitive we are in the free agent market. THere is a lot of youth on this team; probably too much. They have the money to spend, some gaping needs on the roster and if they want to be taken seriously as a playoff contender they need to go out and fill up a few of these holes. And by by filling them I'm not talking RObert Royal and Peerless Price types either.

Give me 2-3 GOOD signings like last year (Dockery, Walker) WITHOUT losing talent to compensate for it (Fletch, Clements) and I think it's a good spring.

yordad
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Nicely put. I made a thread on Ralph's "trust" issues. So I see wher your coming from with the "loathe to cede control to any one person again". http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=144210

And, at first I was really unhappy with the move to promote an OC from within. But, Schonert talks a good game. And seeing as how you were "away", I will provide a good link.....
http://www.kffl.com/article.php/85194/74

As far as free agents go, I want a DT. An upgrade at WLB would be alright too. But, Digi might unseed Ellison, and could be good. Other then that, I think they will have enough peices after a solid 11 pick draft.
http://www.nfl.com/players/coreywilliams/profile?id=WIL204494

jamze132
01-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Definetly need to be major players in FA. No more 2nd tier guys in their prime who we hope figure out how to play football all of the sudden.