• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

3 Free Agents

Give me Corey Williams (DT), Lance Briggs (LB) and LJ Smith (TE) on day one of free agency and I'll happily say see you on draft day.

Our defense gets ridiculously better in one day.. The tight end position improves (talent wise) immensely and I'm taking the best rookie WR on the board with my first pick (Right now I prefer Kelly but that could easily change)

You now have a legit playoff contender.

We already have 42-45 "role" players on this team.. Dont bother with the Matt Bowens' and Peerless Price's of free agency.. Get me those three guys and I could care less if we sign another player the entire season.

Will Briggs and Williams cost a lot of money? You bet your ass they will. That's because they're great players. Stop for 2 seconds and imagine this defense upfront with Wiliams, Briggs and a healthy Poz. Top 6-7 defense in the league in my opinion. Our secondary will look a lot better when the QB doesnt have an eternity to throw. Schobel and Kelsay would be more effective and McCargo next to Williams could spell trouble for offenses.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: 3 Free Agents

Don't say we're incapable of paying Briggs, because we gave Dockery 49 million over 7 years last year.

Comment

• Jeff1220
      H to the 12:20
      • Jul 2002

Heck, I'd be pretty flippin psyched if they just signed Williams on Day1.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Seriously imagine the front seven with Briggs and Williams on this team. WE'd have the best defense easily in our division, and that includes New England.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

That is nice, but probably a pipe dream. I would speculate that it would be the biggest and most expensive day in FA history, by far.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• raphael120
            Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
            • Oct 2005

Yeah I doubt the Bills could really afford one of those, besides LJ, let alone all 3. Let's keep things reasonable.

If we nab ONE of those guys, it would make that respective unit a whole hell of a lot better, pair that with a very solid draft, and we could be a playoff contender.

Oh, and Jauron has to coach like he's not a little girl.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Briggs will probably get slightly more than Adalius Thomas got from NE last year in the open market (which I believe was about $7 million per)

Williams I can't really think of a comparision to. Probably in the $30-40 million range over 6 years.

LJ Smith won't get that much in the open market.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                That is nice, but probably a pipe dream. I would speculate that it would be the biggest and most expensive day in FA history, by far.
                Briggs and Williams combined will probably not equal the $80 million Clements got.

I do see what you're saying though, because unlike the other 31 teams in the NFL, we're going to spend what we spend and pay everything up front. So if that philosophy continues, no way Wilson spends that much money upfront.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  Briggs and Williams combined will probably not equal the $80 million Clements got.

I do see what you're saying though, because unlike the other 31 teams in the NFL, we're going to spend what we spend and pay everything up front. So if that philosophy continues, no way Wilson spends that much money upfront.
                  I bet they get more than Clements combined and definetly get more guarenteed money combined.

And the great thing about spending to a limit every year is that the Bills can go shopping every year.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Expecting the Bills to sign Williams, Briggs AND Smith is fanciful at best. Williams and Briggs are looking at $7M a year and $15-20M guaranteed, while Smith will want $4M a year, if he's not franchised.

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

What are we 25 mil under the cap? So, paying signing bonuses and the first year of the contract for these guys will total less then 25 mil? I don't think so.

Corey Williams, and an upgrade for Ellison/Digi (ahem, not gonna be Briggs) is about all they will do. And, I would be alright with that. But, I think we have to get one or the other.

Oh, and there is an Eric Johnson (TE) dude that has been very productive in the past. He could be affordable.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Briggs is not necessary here. I think he would be too expensive and we already have good LBs with Poz, Crowell, DiG and Wire. A better DT would be nice, unless we go for Ellis. LJ shouldn't be too expensive, but he has made claims to wanting to stay in Philly.

I'm curious what people think about these guys. From rotoworld:

The Dallas Morning News relays a rumor that the Cowboys are shopping DE Marcus Spears and LB Bobby Carpenter in trade talks.
                        Spears is a solid defensive end, but has never lived up to his first-round draft position. The Cowboys could move Jay Ratliff outside to take his job, with Jason Ferguson and Tank Johnson rotating inside. Carpenter, another first-round pick, just isn't a good fit in a 3-4 defense. He'd be a nice addition for 4-3 team looking to add depth at OLB.

Comment

• B-DON
                          hi
                          • Mar 2004

i dont know one cowboy fan who likes carpenter. i would stay away.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                            • Feb 2005

I like that alot, i would even be satisfied with Karlos Dansby form ARZ he is just as good in my opinion and would come cheaper freeing up more money to sign Corey Williams, i like him alot as well, Smith would be sweet, if he resigns go after Bryant Johnson Ernest Wilford or Porter, and still draft one on day 1, take a TE in round 2
                            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by B-DON
                              i dont know one cowboy fan who likes carpenter. i would stay away.
                              I know a TON of them that do. He just never got a chance in Dallas because he isn't a 3-4 guy.

And in response to Pats post, Corey Williams would be an amazing first day of FA in my books. That is a man that can bring down the hammer on an OL.

I don't want Smiths injuries and I don't want Briggs' *****ing. Just give me Williams and I'll be happy.

BTW Pat, you say "imagine the defense with a healthy Posluszny." You act like the guy has done something, so far he has proven nothing and until he does please refrain from saying things like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X