PDA

View Full Version : Lions may be parting ways with Shaun Rogers

gr8slayer
01-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Booth Newspapers' Tom Kowalski disputes reports that the Lions have decided to part ways with two-time Pro Bowl DT Shaun Rogers.
Kowalski concedes that coach Rod Marinelli was extremely displeased with Rogers' decline in play last season, but notes that GM Matt Millen makes the personnel decisions in Detroit. The team has so many other defensive needs that giving up Rogers for little or nothing would be counterproductive.

Talk about a guy who could fill a position of need.

grrr....... Will someone change the title to "May part ways?"

DraftBoy
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Got it

EDS
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Rogers would be a good acquisition by the Bills.

RockStar36
01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Talk about a guy who could fill a position of need.

grrr....... Will someone change the title to "May part ways?"

You can say that again.

Bone
01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Please and thank you.

FlyingDutchman
01-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Larry Triplett chapter 2

bigbub2352
01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Rodgers would be a huge upgrade to what we have, i would take him in a second for the right price

gr8slayer
01-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Got it
Thanks for fixing it.

colin
01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
i like that DJ has coached this guy. he'll know if he can be motivated enough to get it done for us.

i feel the same way with roy williams. if we trade for the two of them then i'd be super extra happy, and even tho i want briggs, those two and drafting/signing any decent LB + corner + TE +og/OC i'd pretty much think we are in the best possible situation.

Bert102176
01-23-2008, 04:19 PM
I would really love to get him and Roy Williams both our 3rds and a 6th and we could prob get both of them then trade JP since the Bills screwed him over and get a 3rd rounder back.

Mr. Pink
01-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Let me get this straight, you all want to add someone onto the roster who's play is declining? Good idea.

We have enough has-beens and never-wills on this team, we don't need more.

Pass.

Jaybird
01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
we need him in a bad....

btw no chance of getting rogers and roy from detroit for 2 third rounders

Bmax
01-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I say go for it.. If he is cut then we will be able to get him under a contract that's friendly for us....

A trade for him ...should cost us a 3-or 4 th rd pick.. That's all i'm willing to give up....

Bmax

gr8slayer
01-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Larry Triplett chapter 2
Tripplett, at no point in his career was ever a Pro Bowler and never once dominated a single game. You need to explain your point of view on this better.

Michael82
01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
I would love this addition. :drool:

Mitchy moo
01-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Previous Pro bowl DT?? I like it, bring him in a let get him dicked.

:drool:

BTW Mikey, your a little to heavy in ZB's right now. Wanna lighten the load??

DraftBoy
01-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Previous Pro bowl DT?? I like it, bring him in a let get him dicked.

:drool:

BTW Mikey, your a little to heavy in ZB's right now. Wanna lighten the load??

:wtf:

hydro
01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I would really love to get him and Roy Williams both our 3rds and a 6th and we could prob get both of them then trade JP since the Bills screwed him over and get a 3rd rounder back.
Drop and slowly back away from the controller. Madden 08 has fried your brain...

Philagape
01-23-2008, 09:28 PM
There should be a BZ rule that whenever anyone starts a thread about potentially picking up a player who's getting dumped, to first state the reasons why that player is being dumped.

clumping platelets
01-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Trade for him and you guarantee his acquisition

Night Train
01-24-2008, 05:09 AM
There should be a BZ rule that whenever anyone starts a thread about potentially picking up a player who's getting dumped, to first state the reasons why that player is being dumped.

Thank You.

It's probably because Rodgers is a Sam Adams motivational issue all over again. Gets fat and shows his God given talent in spurts. Yet he still wants the big $$.

" I'll let you know when I feel like leaving the buffet table and making a difference in a football game. Meanwhile, pay me ! "

Sounds like a keeper.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Let me get this straight, you all want to add someone onto the roster who's play is declining? Good idea.

We have enough has-beens and never-wills on this team, we don't need more.

Pass.

Yeah, he can't seem to stay at the weight the Lions wanted him to be, and has a pretty inconsistent motor. Inconsistent motor is not something that attracts our front office. Maybe he'd be a good 3-4 nose tackle, but I'm not sure I want to invest in him for this team.

ROY WILLIAMS on the other hand, would be just what the doctor ordered. Is he on the block?

gr8slayer
01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Yeah, he can't seem to stay at the weight the Lions wanted him to be, and has a pretty inconsistent motor. Inconsistent motor is not something that attracts our front office. Maybe he'd be a good 3-4 nose tackle, but I'm not sure I want to invest in him for this team.

ROY WILLIAMS on the other hand, would be just what the doctor ordered. Is he on the block?
There was talk at one time but I think that's been put to rest.

MLive.com's Tom Kowalski believes the Lions will dangle Roy Williams in trade talks leading up to April's NFL Draft.
Williams will enter a contract year in 2008 and Kowalski expects him to leave in 2009 if the Lions can't execute a trade. If Williams is dealt, Calvin Johnson would take over as Detroit's "No. 1" receiver. Williams, the No. 7 overall pick in 2004, should at least command a second-round pick as compensation.

Ickybaluky
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Rogers definitely has talent, but he is a risky proposition. He is a very athletic, big player who has top-notch talent, making the Pro Bowl twice. He can do a great job against both the run and pass. He has blocked a bunch of kicks as well.

However, the risk is because he ihas already been suspended for 4 games (2006) for violating the steroid policy. He blamed the test on an appetite suppressant. If he tests positive again he will be suspended for a year.

There are also the concerns about his weight, although that is overblown, IMO. A lot of DT struggle with weight, but it doesn't keep them from playing effectively. Rogers has played effectively at 340 lbs. for a lot of his career, and his weight isn't any bigger concern than it is for Pat Williams.

I do think he has attitude issues, though. He can be difficult to coach, which is part of the reason he fell in the draft when he came out. However, Detriot isn't exactly the best situation in the NFL, and a change of scenery with the right coach would probably help his career.

I would definitely take a chance on the guy, although his previous suspension makes it somewhat risky. It could pay off big, however, as there are few big guys as athletic as Rogers.

Nighthawk
01-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Rogers definitely has talent, but he is a risky proposition. He is a very athletic, big player who has top-notch talent, making the Pro Bowl twice. He can do a great job against both the run and pass. He has blocked a bunch of kicks as well.

However, the risk is because he ihas already been suspended for 4 games (2006) for violating the steroid policy. He blamed the test on an appetite suppressant. If he tests positive again he will be suspended for a year.

There are also the concerns about his weight, although that is overblown, IMO. A lot of DT struggle with weight, but it doesn't keep them from playing effectively. Rogers has played effectively at 340 lbs. for a lot of his career, and his weight isn't any bigger concern than it is for Pat Williams.

I do think he has attitude issues, though. He can be difficult to coach, which is part of the reason he fell in the draft when he came out. However, Detriot isn't exactly the best situation in the NFL, and a change of scenery with the right coach would probably help his career.

I would definitely take a chance on the guy, although his previous suspension makes it somewhat risky. It could pay off big, however, as there are few big guys as athletic as Rogers.

He wasn't suspended for steroids, it was banned dietery substance. Still, it is risky given that and his weight issue. However, if you get him for the right price, it would be worth it to upgrade this defense.

Ickybaluky
01-24-2008, 10:06 PM
He wasn't suspended for steroids, it was banned dietery substance.

I didn't say he tested positive for steroids. I said he violated the steroid policy, which covers all related performance enhancers. He claims the test was because of ephedrine, an appetite suppressant which is banned. However, we do not know what substance he actually tested for, only that he violated the policy. If he were to test positive again for anything in the policy, he would be suspended a year.

That said, I agree with you the risk might be worth it. I'm less concerned by his weight problems than most. Ted Washington and Pat Williams had weight problems as well, but Buffalo fans know how good those guys were. Rogers has proven he can play.

I think his attitude would give me more pause. He is supposed to be a hard guy to coach, something of a petulant, brooding personality -- reputed to be immature and me-first. That is a concern, but he would probably be OK in the right environment. I think the losing that Detroit has been mired in since he was drafted hasn't helped him, so a change of scenery might allow him to be the dominating player he is capable of being. Winning cures a lot.

Despite that, I'm surprised Detroit is trading him and wonder what they want in return. Who are they going to replace him with, Shaun Cody? Granted, Detroit isn't known for making great moves, but how can they trade Rogers unless they get real value back (which they won't because everyone now knows they are going to get rid of him).

You guys may be frustrated by the Bills in recent seasons, but you have to be happy that Matt Millen isn't running the team.

jamze132
01-25-2008, 12:46 AM
I didn't say he tested positive for steroids. I said he violated the steroid policy, which covers all related performance enhancers. He claims the test was because of ephedrine, an appetite suppressant which is banned. However, we do not know what substance he actually tested for, only that he violated the policy. If he were to test positive again for anything in the policy, he would be suspended a year.

That said, I agree with you the risk might be worth it. I'm less concerned by his weight problems than most. Ted Washington and Pat Williams had weight problems as well, but Buffalo fans know how good those guys were. Rogers has proven he can play.

I think his attitude would give me more pause. He is supposed to be a hard guy to coach, something of a petulant, brooding personality -- reputed to be immature and me-first. That is a concern, but he would probably be OK in the right environment. I think the losing that Detroit has been mired in since he was drafted hasn't helped him, so a change of scenery might allow him to be the dominating player he is capable of being. Winning cures a lot.

Despite that, I'm surprised Detroit is trading him and wonder what they want in return. Who are they going to replace him with, Shaun Cody? Granted, Detroit isn't known for making great moves, but how can they trade Rogers unless they get real value back (which they won't because everyone now knows they are going to get rid of him).

You guys may be frustrated by the Bills in recent seasons, but you have to be happy that Matt Millen isn't running the team.
Are you sure you aren't referring to the NFL's "Banned Substance Policy" and not their "Steroid Policy"? I am pretty sure they are two seperate policies.

Ickybaluky
01-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Are you sure you aren't referring to the NFL's "Banned Substance Policy" and not their "Steroid Policy"? I am pretty sure they are two seperate policies.

The official name is "Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances", however it is usually referred to as just the Steroid Policy (including on the NFLPA website (http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/SteroidPolicy.aspx)).

There is also a Drug Policy (Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse), which covers illegal drugs, precription and over-the-counter drug abuse and alcohol abuse.

Finally, there is the Conduct Policy, which covers criminal violations.

Each policy has it's own rules and consquences.

jamze132
01-26-2008, 01:38 AM
The official name is "Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances", however it is usually referred to as just the Steroid Policy (including on the NFLPA website (http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/SteroidPolicy.aspx)).

There is also a Drug Policy (Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse), which covers illegal drugs, precription and over-the-counter drug abuse and alcohol abuse.

Finally, there is the Conduct Policy, which covers criminal violations.

Each policy has it's own rules and consquences.
I am the confused one, my bad. I was thinking of MLB.