PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else baffled by the worship of Gregg Williams?

BlackMetalNinja
01-24-2008, 11:15 AM
With all the talk about open head coaching positions, specifically Washington's, I've heard Gregg Williams' name come up several times. What boggles is my mind is hearing people say things like "he's put in his time and he deserves it, he'll do a great job".

Do none of these people in the media even remember that he has been a Head Coach before??? I just really am not sure what they're seeing that I'm not that makes them so sure he'd be great in that position now.

YardRat
01-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Williams will get another chance and probably will do better than he did in Buffalo.

He's a really good coordinator, and I think his experience here and under Joe Gibbs may help him to be a decent head coach.

Jeff1220
01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
JUst because a coach has a bad go-round in his first stint as a HC doesn't mean he won't be a good one at some point. GW has a good football mind, but had issues with the way he handled/motivated his players and with game management. It seemed that he was pretty stubborn in some areas as well. His coaching hires weren't the best either.
If he learned from his mistakes in Buffalo and got some positive influence from being around HOFer like Gibbs, GW might become a very good hc.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe he will learn from his mistakes here?

Buffatexas
01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
well it may not be in Wash. Looks like they are settling on Fassell....

http://fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/35353

Jeff1220
01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
well it may not be in Wash. Looks like they are settling on Fassell....

http://fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/35353

I think I'd be happier w/GW if I were a skins fan. Fassell couldn't even keep an OC position here in Baltimore.

gr8slayer
01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
We looked like a better team with him here than we do now.

RedEyE
01-24-2008, 12:21 PM
More baffled by the fact Mularkey is still getting interviews in the NFL.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
More baffled by the fact Mularkey is still getting interviews in the NFL.

Yes. Good point.

GW is a great DC. Maybe he deserves another round as a head coach--the list of HCs that tanked their first shot but worked wonders the second time around is long. I wouldn't want him back here, but can't blame someone else for giving him a try.

bigbub2352
01-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Williams is an *******, and a bad coach. Washington's D is nothing special and should be phenominal for the amount of money they spend on it, he is overratted

gr8slayer
01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Williams is an *******, and a bad coach. Washington's D is nothing special and should be phenominal for the amount of money they spend on it, he is overratted
Just goes to show you that money does not = winning. It's all about the front office and how they draft.

KO1
01-24-2008, 01:14 PM
im from the DC area...hes been interviewed 4 times!!! and they still wont hire him, he wont get the job right now its looking like fossel.

-gp
KO PROBOWL IN 08

Gunzlingr
01-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Wasn't he promised a big payday if they didn't make him HC when Gibbs left?

Bill Cody
01-24-2008, 04:10 PM
im from the DC area...hes been interviewed 4 times!!! and they still wont hire him, he wont get the job right now its looking like fossel.

-gp
KO PROBOWL IN 08

I don't understand- can't they appreciate the best color coded charts out there?

Dujek
01-24-2008, 04:27 PM
He failed his first time as head coach. So have many others who have gone on to be great coaches elsewhere. Williams has proved to be an excellent DC and has a great football mind, if he's learned from his mistakes in Buffalo he could make a very good HC indeed.

RockStar36
01-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Although he failed here every coach/player usually gets a second chance, and in some cases a third and a fourth.

If Norv Turner can still get HC jobs I would saw GW deserves a second chance. Just as long as it isn't for my team again.

Ickybaluky
01-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I figured Kevin Gilbride would be a bigger surprise to Bills fans. You guys killed Gilbride when he was here (probably as much as Mularky), but now he is the OC of a Superbowl team and is being credited with developing Eli Manning.

You guys killed Gilbride because you felt he didn't run the ball enough when he was in Buffalo, but the Giants had the NFL's 4th best rushing offense this season. Maybe it was more about the players.

djjimkelly
01-24-2008, 10:22 PM
id take greg back in a heartbeat over dick

jamze132
01-25-2008, 12:40 AM
I just love how Washington is always trying to get a coach with a name. Probably why they draw 90,000+ to each game.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-25-2008, 01:57 AM

I totally agree.

Williams was annointed as a defensive "genius" when he was with Tennessee and, as a result, a lot of people still think of him that way. But the results simply don't add up to that:

He came into Buffalo and with T.Donahoe, tore down what had been a pretty good defense-solely out of arrogance--and was given a virtually free hand--including high-priced talent--to rebuild it in his own image with his own, hand-picked DC. The defense was good, but rarely, if ever, came up with a big stop at the end of games and was prone to taking big penalties.

He, then, went to Washington where, once again, he was given a free hand to rebuild the defense in his own image and was provided with even more high-priced talent. And, what have the results been? The Washington defense has been decent, but by no means great.

This is what a "genius" is supposed to produce?

Sorry, but I'm not buying....

No doubt, however, G.Williams will ultimately get another chance to be a HC somewhere. And, maybe he will be able to prove that he did learn from his failure in Buffalo.

But, I have to seriously wonder what has been going on with him and D.Snyder. According to reports, in order to retain Williams a couple of years ago, Snyder promised him that he would get the HC job when Gibbs left and there is a clause in Williams' contract that he will be paid a nice seven-figure amount if that were not to happen. So, why hasn't Snyder given Williams the HC job as promised? And, why have the two of them met 4 times already to discuss the job?

I don't think that Snyder wants to give Williams the HC job. Maybe it's because Williams isn't willing to let Snyder call a lot of the shots that he has been calling with the HCs that he's hired since buying the team--that would certainly be within keeping of the personality that Williams demonstrated that he has in Buffalo--or maybe it's because Snyder has soured on Williams because Williams hasn't produced the results on defense that Snyyder expected, etc. But, whatever the reason, if Snyder wanted to hired Williams as HC, as he promised that he would, Snyder would have done it already, but he hasn't.

And, that leads me to conclude that at least some of those meetings with Williams have been about how much Snyder would have to actually pay to get Williams to forego the HC job (and perhaps stay as DC or not). If Williams is holding Snyder's feet to the fire about the HC job, Snyder may be discussing who would be acceptable to both of them as OC--because Saunders may not want to work under Williams if he does end up with the HC job--and weighing his options.

What's happening, though, cannot bode well for harmony in the Washington camp at this point: if Williams gets the HC job there could be some unhappy people in the organization, but, if Williams doesn't get the HC job, there could be some unhappy players in the lockerroom (remember that there are some veteran players who came there because they not only liked the money, but wanted to win and felt that they had a good chance of doing so under a HOF HC and two "genius" coordinators--and we all know what can happen if players like that don't like the decisions that come down from the FO or owner).

BillsFever21
01-25-2008, 04:24 AM
I think Williams would do a good job with another chance. The team he took over in Buffalo was totally stripped down and it showed the first year. The second year he brought the team to an 8-8 record. The 3rd year we fell back a little bit but the team was still being built and was still in the process of getting out of salary cap hell.

With some experience that Williams attained from working directly with Joe Gibbs I feel he would be that much improved and ready for another shot.

Also for the poster above. They didn't stip down the defense over arrogance. They did over aging and overpaid players. Any coach is going to bring in his own defense. Most of these guys were not fit to play in the NFL anymore let alone start.

How many of them guys left and amounted to anything at all? Not any of them did. The majority of them couldn't even find another team and were retired shortly after. There wasn't any of them worth a damn anymore especially for the money they were making. Even if we wanted to keep them we couldn't because we were millions and millions over the cap. This had to be done to even field a team. And I mean just to field a team. We were basically an expansion team that first year. Not by choice but because we had to.

The defense that Gregg built in a short amount of time was pretty remarkable. We had some awesome seasons along the way and even saw the rewards of his scheme after he left. For them years him and or Jerry Gray was here we had a very good defense and it showed in it's rankings across the board. We haven't came close to seeing another defense like that since he left. Jauron's certaintly hasn't done the trick.

By using the logic that Gregg arrogantly stripped down a pretty good defense you could say the same thing about Jauron. Our defense was Top 5 every year and Jauron came and forced his Cover 2 down us. Any coach is going to bring in his systems. The difference is that our defense was good after Williams did it and it has been pathetic after Jauron did it. The most our defense can hang it's head on is being a bend but don't break. We have to be because we're not good enough to force the issue.

Jan Reimers
01-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Hopefully, Williams learned a little humility and empathy for his players and fellow coaches under Gibbs, whom I believe is a genuinely good person.

Williams seemed like an arrogant ***** here, with very little to be arrogant about.

don137
01-25-2008, 05:39 AM
Hopefully, Williams learned a little humility and empathy for his players and fellow coaches under Gibbs, whom I believe is a genuinely good person.

Williams seemed like an arrogant ***** here, with very little to be arrogant about.

I truly think he is still just as arrogant today as he was in Buffalo. Last year (2006 season) I read an article where he dumped a lot of key players on Washington's defense because they did not agree with him and how Williams felt the system is what was better then the players and he felt he could succeed with average players playing in his system. Well it backfired and the defense was horrid in 2006.