Anybody else baffled by the worship of Gregg Williams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

Anybody else baffled by the worship of Gregg Williams?

With all the talk about open head coaching positions, specifically Washington's, I've heard Gregg Williams' name come up several times. What boggles is my mind is hearing people say things like "he's put in his time and he deserves it, he'll do a great job".

Do none of these people in the media even remember that he has been a Head Coach before??? I just really am not sure what they're seeing that I'm not that makes them so sure he'd be great in that position now.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Anybody else baffled by the worship of Gregg Williams?

Williams will get another chance and probably will do better than he did in Buffalo.

He's a really good coordinator, and I think his experience here and under Joe Gibbs may help him to be a decent head coach.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Jeff1220
      H to the 12:20
      • Jul 2002

JUst because a coach has a bad go-round in his first stint as a HC doesn't mean he won't be a good one at some point. GW has a good football mind, but had issues with the way he handled/motivated his players and with game management. It seemed that he was pretty stubborn in some areas as well. His coaching hires weren't the best either.
      If he learned from his mistakes in Buffalo and got some positive influence from being around HOFer like Gibbs, GW might become a very good hc.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Maybe he will learn from his mistakes here?

Comment

• Buffatexas
          • Aug 2002

well it may not be in Wash. Looks like they are settling on Fassell....

Explore the pulse of the sports world with FanNation, brought to you by Sports Illustrated. Engage with top stories, expert insights, and curated content from all major sports teams and leagues, all in one dynamic platform.

Comment

• Jeff1220
            H to the 12:20
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Buffatexas
            well it may not be in Wash. Looks like they are settling on Fassell....

http://fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/35353
            I think I'd be happier w/GW if I were a skins fan. Fassell couldn't even keep an OC position here in Baltimore.

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

We looked like a better team with him here than we do now.

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

More baffled by the fact Mularkey is still getting interviews in the NFL.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RedEyE
                  More baffled by the fact Mularkey is still getting interviews in the NFL.
                  Yes. Good point.

GW is a great DC. Maybe he deserves another round as a head coach--the list of HCs that tanked their first shot but worked wonders the second time around is long. I wouldn't want him back here, but can't blame someone else for giving him a try.
                  Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

Williams is an *******, and a bad coach. Washington's D is nothing special and should be phenominal for the amount of money they spend on it, he is overratted
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                      Williams is an *******, and a bad coach. Washington's D is nothing special and should be phenominal for the amount of money they spend on it, he is overratted
                      Just goes to show you that money does not = winning. It's all about the front office and how they draft.

Comment

• KO1
                        • Sep 2006

im from the DC area...hes been interviewed 4 times!!! and they still wont hire him, he wont get the job right now its looking like fossel.

-gp
                        KO PROBOWL IN 08

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                          • Jul 2002

Wasn't he promised a big payday if they didn't make him HC when Gibbs left?
                          You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by KO1
                            im from the DC area...hes been interviewed 4 times!!! and they still wont hire him, he wont get the job right now its looking like fossel.

-gp
                            KO PROBOWL IN 08
                            I don't understand- can't they appreciate the best color coded charts out there?

Comment

• Dujek
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Jan 2008

He failed his first time as head coach. So have many others who have gone on to be great coaches elsewhere. Williams has proved to be an excellent DC and has a great football mind, if he's learned from his mistakes in Buffalo he could make a very good HC indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X