PDA

View Full Version : SI's DonBanks does first mock draft

Jeff1220
01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
11 WR/PR DeSean Jackson Cal Jr. 6-0 179
The Bills need more offensive weapons, and taking a first-rounder out of Cal worked out pretty well for Buffalo last year. Jackson has speed to burn, and while he's not a finished product by any means, his upside is higher than any other receiver in this year's draft.

The rest can be seen here:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/23/mock.draft1.part2/index.html

The King
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
I would hate this. Without Hargrove and with a declining Schobel. We need to address that D-Line.

Do it. Do it, now!

gr8slayer
01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
God, not another midget WR; and like Banks says he's not a finished product. We need someone who is close to being a finished product right now.

bigbub2352
01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
i could see us doin this and not signing Evans, it would be a mistake, we need size we got speed

gr8slayer
01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
i could see us doin this and not signing Evans, it would be a mistake, we need size we got speed
Yeah, we already have a TON of speed, now we need some size.

mysticsoto
01-24-2008, 12:53 PM
God, not another midget WR; and like Banks says he's not a finished product. We need someone who is close to being a finished product right now.

6'0" is not a midget receiver, but I agree, he would not be right for us...and at 179, he weighs barely more than Parrish...

gr8slayer
01-24-2008, 12:54 PM
6'0" is not a midget receiver, but I agree, he would not be right for us...and at 179, he weighs barely more than Parrish...
You get my point though, we need a 6'3+ guy who has a 40 inch vertical.

And you know just like I do that if it says 6'0 he's likely 5'10 or 5'9.

raphael120
01-24-2008, 12:55 PM
We need big/physical. over 6' and over 210 pounds please.

ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
If Gholston is still on the board as he suggests and we don't take him, and on top of that, take another smallish WR, I will think Donahoe is back making the picks.

mysticsoto
01-24-2008, 01:07 PM

There were alot of inconsistencies in this mock draft. Quentin Groves going so highly at #6? He's done nothing. Injury or not, that would be absurd! Limas Sweed that highly...not if he doesn't have a good combine. Early Doucet so low - he might arguably be the #1 taken WR come draft day...Fred Davis taken so highly? Even now that it was released he's really 6'2"? No way. And Dan Connors and Keith Rivers not going until the very end of the 1st rd? Highly unlikely given the specimens that they are.

Some of the picks are good, but I would laugh hysterically (like I did with Miami last year) if the Jets took Groves. Then I would cry if we took Jackson and wonder why I am a fan of such a clueless team. :(

gr8slayer
01-24-2008, 01:09 PM
There were alot of inconsistencies in this mock draft. Quentin Groves going so highly at #6? He's done nothing. Injury or not, that would be absurd! Limas Sweed that highly...not if he doesn't have a good combine. Early Doucet so low - he might arguably be the #1 taken WR come draft day...Fred Davis taken so highly? Even now that it was released he's really 6'2"? No way. And Dan Connors and Keith Rivers not going until the very end of the 1st rd? Highly unlikely given the specimens that they are.

Some of the picks are good, but I would laugh hysterically (like I did with Miami last year) if the Jets took Groves. Then I would cry if we took Jackson and wonder why I am a fan of such a clueless team. :(
If we take Jackson that high it's no better than the Dolphins taking Ginn early last year. Both are stupid picks that early.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM

Yes, someone who can get up in the air in the red zone.

Night Train
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM
These mocks are terrible. I bet they're not even close to who we eventually pick.

The Jokeman
01-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I would hate this. Without Hargrove and with a declining Schobel. We need to address that D-Line.

Do it. Do it, now!
Why does everyone treat Hargrove like he's more then just the depth player he was? While we do need to replace him it's not going to be overly difficult in my opinion as could be done with a inexpensive veteran free agent or someone in round 3 or even the early part of day two of the draft. Granted with the way that draft went down I'd hate passing on a game like Vernon Gholston for the sake of taking Jackson.

mysticsoto
01-24-2008, 01:18 PM
If we take Jackson that high it's no better than the Dolphins taking Ginn early last year. Both are stupid picks that early.

If Baltimore indeed wants a QB (which I think they do) they should not mind trading with us since neither team in #9 (Cincinnati) and #10 (New Orleans) will want a QB and they can still get Brohm or whoever they are targeting while gaining an extra...3rd rd pick likely. If we have to trade them our higher 3rd rd pick then so be it...they should get it done so we can get Ellis before the Bengals. This should be SO DOABLE!!! We should be able to steal Ellis and the Bengals would likely comfort themselves with Gholston...afterward. And Ellis would be worth every bit of losing that 3rd!!! Take a top WR in the 2nd that is tall, and then from 3rd onward best player available paying close attention to LB/CB/TE and C/OL. That would be my recipe. In the mean time, I would also be pursuing a WR and TE in FA which could minimize our needs vs our wants on draft day.

gr8slayer
01-24-2008, 01:19 PM
If Baltimore indeed wants a QB (which I think they do) they should not mind trading with us since neither team in #9 (Cincinnati) and #10 (New Orleans) will want a QB and they can still get Brohm or whoever they are targeting while gaining an extra...3rd rd pick likely. If we have to trade them our higher 3rd rd pick then so be it...they should get it done so we can get Ellis before the Bengals. This should be SO DOABLE!!! We should be able to steal Ellis and the Bengals would likely comfort themselves with Gholston...afterward. And Ellis would be worth every bit of losing that 3rd!!! Take a top WR in the 2nd that is tall, and then from 3rd onward best player available paying close attention to LB/CB/TE and C/OL. That would be my recipe. In the mean time, I would also be pursuing a WR and TE in FA which could minimize our needs vs our wants on draft day.
I just want to win...... I don't care what it takes......

dannyek71
01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
trade down. Get another 2nd round pick. Get that WR from Oklahoma

1) WR
2) DE
2) TE
3) LB
3) CB

DraftBoy
01-24-2008, 02:02 PM
ok this pisses me off to see such a crappy ass mock, its time for v 7.0, be posted in an hour

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2008, 02:11 PM
The rest can be seen here:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/23/mock.draft1.part2/index.html
**** this guy. Another small speedster. WE DON'T NEED THIS.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
The more I read the more I want Conner out of Penn State.

patmoran2006
01-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Malcomb Kelly.. Thank you

Oaf
01-24-2008, 02:45 PM
:puke:

Ickybaluky
01-24-2008, 03:41 PM
There were alot of inconsistencies in this mock draft. Quentin Groves going so highly at #6? He's done nothing. Injury or not, that would be absurd!

He is one of my favorite players in this draft, though. I think he will make a great 3-4 rush LB.

That does seem high, though, given his down senior season. I think Banks point is he will fly up the board because he will test well. I agree with that, but I don't see him going that high.

Nighthawk
01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Taking a WR at #11 seems like a crapshoot at this point. There doesn't seem to be one standout WR in the bunch. The Bills can definitely grab somebody in the 3rd. Take a LB or DL with that pick!

TigerJ
01-24-2008, 07:59 PM
He wouldn't be my choice, and I really don't expect Buffalo to go that way, but there are worse things Buffalo could do with #11 overall than pick Desean Jackson. As some have said, he's better than Ted Ginn and Buffalo would be getting him a few picks later.

mysticsoto
01-25-2008, 08:44 AM
He is one of my favorite players in this draft, though. I think he will make a great 3-4 rush LB.

That does seem high, though, given his down senior season. I think Banks point is he will fly up the board because he will test well. I agree with that, but I don't see him going that high.

Actually, I agree with this. I have him listed in my book as a 3-4 LB and will likely place him as such whenever I do my next mock draft...

clumping platelets
01-26-2008, 02:34 AM
:no:

We need a big, physical WR opposite Evans

LifetimeBillsFan
01-26-2008, 03:53 AM
Desean Jackson is a game-breaker and one of the more polished receivers in the draft, but he plays smaller than he is and is going to need time to get stronger. I don't think that he would be the answer that the Bills need if they are planning on keeping L.Evans (which I think they should).

I would rather see them go for a guy like M.Kelly--who is also a game-breaker who needs work, but is so much bigger than D.Jackson--if they go for a WR in the first round.

If the Bills are going to go WR in the first round, I would hope that they would be able to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick to do so.

If S.Ellis gets to # 9, I would not be unhappy if the Bills were to trade up to get him before Cincy or NO can take him, even if it cost them a 3rd round pick. But, I don't know if they would do that, given the needs that the team has (I think it would depend on what they do in free agency--which I have a feeling will greatly impact what the Bills look to do at the top of the draft).