X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Need to kill the myth now.

Since people are determined to sell everybody on this board the myth that we are only 3 players away from the playoffs I would like you to add those players to this past years roster and ask yourself if we were making the playoffs.

One DT is going to improve our D to top 15 status?

One WR is going to improve our O to top 15 status?

The third addition is the tricky one because I've heard WLB, CB, and center bantered about. So pick your favorite here.

I can tell you that we win maybe one or two games tops. Dallas and Denver.

So that's 9-7. So how are we making the playoffs?

Re: Need to kill the myth now.

Some people just wanna BILL-ieve.

SHHHhhhh! Don't shout, you'll wake them up.

Comment

• don137
      • Jul 2002

I do not put a number on how many players the Bills need to make the playoffs but if the Bills can stay healthy, the young players like Edwards matures and improves and the playcalling is much better on offense I think this team has a foundation good enough to make the playoffs with a few additions. Its not like this team is going to lose big 'playmaker'.
      I think Edwards maturing is critical to this team taking it to the next level. Look at Cleveland, they get a quarterback (not a great one either, just a pretty good one) and they almost made the playoffs.

Comment

See what you did HHURRICANE!!!

SHHHhhhhh......

Comment

• Bulldog
          Top Dog
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Wys Guy
          See what you did HHURRICANE!!!

SHHHhhhhh......
          I thought you divorced the Bills?
          I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by don137
            I do not put a number on how many players the Bills need to make the playoffs but if the Bills can stay healthy, the young players like Edwards matures and improves and the playcalling is much better on offense I think this team has a foundation good enough to make the playoffs with a few additions. Its not like this team is going to lose big 'playmaker'.
            I think Edwards maturing is critical to this team taking it to the next level. Look at Cleveland, they get a quarterback (not a great one either, just a pretty good one) and they almost made the playoffs.
            Do you really believe that we have almost as much talent as Cleveland?

They have a real receiving corps just for starters.

Comment

• mybills
              81 st zoner
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bulldog
              I thought you divorced the Bills?
              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

I noticed that everybody would like to bank on hypotheticals like a "young team maturing".

I asked a real question in the thread. Would have 3 players on this past years roster put us in the playoffs?

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                  I noticed that everybody would like to bank on hypotheticals like a "young team maturing".

I asked a real question in the thread. Would have 3 players on this past years roster put us in the playoffs?
                  Another DE and DT on defense would have made a huge difference. If we had a DT that could rush the passer with more consistency and a DE who was more productive then we would have gotten off the field much more on 3rd down which was a huge problem for our defense. Even 3rd and long which usually favours the defense was a problem due to the lack of pass rush. 2 more DL would have made the D 10X better.

Now if we could have had another threat at WR it would have opened up our offense a lot more. It would free up Evans more on the other side and would also allow Reed and Parrish to play to their strengths in the slot where they should be. Giving our offense 2 more dimensions by adding 1 player to it would have been huge.

Thats how 3 players can make a big difference for a team. And if we had these 3 players we would most likely have just gotten into the playoffs. Probably could have beaten the Browns.

That being said I think the team is more like 4-5 players away from being a very competitive team every week.

The 3 I just mentionned + Poz + a receiving TE.

IMO that would make us a competitive playoff team.

Comment

• jdbillsfan
                    • Oct 2002

Since people are determined to sell everybody on this board the myth that we are only 3 players away from the playoffs I would like you to add those players to this past years roster and ask yourself if we were making the playoffs.

The third addition is the tricky one because I've heard WLB, CB, and center bantered about. So pick your favorite here.

The myth has been killed. Way to go....

I guess some people see some positives with this team and hopefully getting some healthy players back, like Simpson, Poz, that with a few more additions, we can hopefully make a playoff run. We basically did that this past season with a rookie QB and rookie RB, injured defense, etc.

If you do get Simpson and Poz back, with the hopefully development of Trent, O-line gelling, etc. They can win some games and hopefully make a run.

Add in some free agents and high draft picks... why not?

Comment

• mybills
                      81 st zoner
                      • Jul 2002

I haven't seen anyone say we are 3 players away..but your last question isn't as cut & dry as that, either. For example, musical QB's is never a good thing.
                      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                        Another DE and DT on defense would have made a huge difference. If we had a DT that could rush the passer with more consistency and a DE who was more productive then we would have gotten off the field much more on 3rd down which was a huge problem for our defense. Even 3rd and long which usually favours the defense was a problem due to the lack of pass rush. 2 more DL would have made the D 10X better.

Now if we could have had another threat at WR it would have opened up our offense a lot more. It would free up Evans more on the other side and would also allow Reed and Parrish to play to their strengths in the slot where they should be. Giving our offense 2 more dimensions by adding 1 player to it would have been huge.

Thats how 3 players can make a big difference for a team. And if we had these 3 players we would most likely have just gotten into the playoffs. Probably could have beaten the Browns.

That being said I think the team is more like 4-5 players away from being a very competitive team every week.

The 3 I just mentionned + Poz + a receiving TE.

IMO that would make us a competitive playoff team.
                        This is a nice post and I did set myself up for this.

However, DE can't be on the table because there is no way the Bills are replacing either Kelsay or Schobel as a starter. I agree that a DT and a DE would have been huge this past year but the Bills will never make a change on the starting ends, which is really sad.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

From a fellow "realist", I think that it's not much of a myth at all. . Of course, not any 3 players will get it done. But if they get three players at positions that improve that spot, then I do think they are a legitimate playoff team.

In your rant, in which a lot of is correct; you definitely neglect to mention one thing. Don't you think some of our younger, more talented players are going to improve with a year's experience? That alone could translate to more wins.

Trent Edwards will be a better player next year. Marshawn Lynch will definitely be a better runner this year. I expect Poz to be better. I expect McCArgo to matter more. I'm "hoping' Whitner develops into a solid safety (I have my doughts).

Those guys right there alone (and there are more) could improve the win total by a little bit. Get us a better playmaker or two on the offense and a guy or two on defense that makes the front seven better. Combine that with an offensive coordinator with more "guts"-- and I think that making the playoffs is far from a myth.

I am sold on a lot of the young talent we have. I'm also convinced they DO need about 3 quality players in the free agent market. Give me that, and another good draft and I'll throw down on the odds that Buffalo makes the playoff next year.

Way too early though, I'm far from convinced Wilson hasn't thrown in the towel already though.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                            • Jun 2005

Wys I thought you gave up on OUR Bills a long time ago?? Go to the Pats board or something

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jdbillsfan
                              The myth has been killed. Way to go....

I guess some people see some positives with this team and hopefully getting some healthy players back, like Simpson, Poz, that with a few more additions, we can hopefully make a playoff run. We basically did that this past season with a rookie QB and rookie RB, injured defense, etc.

If you do get Simpson and Poz back, with the hopefully development of Trent, O-line gelling, etc. They can win some games and hopefully make a run.

Add in some free agents and high draft picks... why not?
                              Poz and Simpson were big losses, no doubt, but everyone acts like this team is going to play in a vacuum next year. Are we not getting injuries next year?

This is why 3 players isn't getting us over the hump. We lose Poz and the D folds like a cheap suit. Crowell is not enough of a talent to do anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X