PDA

View Full Version : Stock piling picks

JPFBillsFan
01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm all for it.
We can start by moving our #11 to Dallas for #22 and #28....
I'd even consider sliding back to #16 with Detroit for something worth while...
thoughts?

gr8slayer
01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I was thinking about that earlier. I would much rather have the #22 & #28 than our #11. Problem is, Jerry is looking to move into the top four not the top twelve so I doubt it happens.

Jan Reimers
01-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I was thinking about that earlier. I would much rather have the #22 & #28 than our #11. Problem is, Jerry is looking to move into the top four not the top twelve so I doubt it happens.
Yeah, I think that would give us 5 picks among the first 78 players, which would be pretty nice.

bigbub2352
01-25-2008, 12:26 PM
If we did a trade down like that i would certainly be looking at Melcom Kelly at WR if he was there, and gettin picks would just be gravy

don137
01-25-2008, 03:17 PM

The funny thing is that Dallas thought they were getting a top 4 pick when they traded their pick to Cleveland last year especially after week one when they were blown out by Pittsburgh.

gr8slayer
01-25-2008, 03:21 PM
The funny thing is that Dallas thought they were getting a top 4 pick when they traded their pick to Cleveland last year especially after week one when they were blown out by Pittsburgh.
Well could you blame them? Cleveland has sucked just as bad as Buffalo till this year.

Night Train
01-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm all for trading down and picking up extra picks. I don't see more than 2-3 Blue chip players that will go in the top 5 and we'll never trade up.

Yasgur's Farm
01-25-2008, 07:07 PM
It would be a sweet draft if we could walk away with WR Malcolm Kelly and DE Calais Campbell in round 1.

Follow that up with TE Martin Rucker or TE Martellus Bennett round 2.

Trade both 3rds to get back into round 2 and grab DT Pat Sims.

Then choose CB Charles Godfrey in the 4th.

Goodnight... everything else is gravey.

im4bflo
01-25-2008, 07:19 PM
I used to be against trading down for more picks, but now I see if you bust with your top pick, it really puts you back. So the more the better approach, looks great to me now! It's just a crapshoot anyway.
A guy can be great in college, and then suck as a dolphin, uh I mean pro :snicker2:
So let's load up! :gobills:

Bmax
01-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Depends.. If Ellis is there at 11 you can't pass him up. High unlikely he will be there for the Bills... Much like Willis last year his stock is zooming up boards.

Gholston is another guy who will move up boards after workouts...Even though the Bills have schobel , Kelsey and Denney.. they need to think about the end position...The quality of a player like Gholston is hard to find... The difference is having a Freeney type player on your roster..

Bmax

raphael120
01-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Doesn't matter how many picks we seem to have, we always fall short on filling positions.

McCargo, Whitner...def not worth the first round picks we gave.
Youboty, bust.
Ko Simpson is still a question mark.
Dwayne Wright was a waste of a pick.
Out of all the draft picks we've had in the past 2 years, the only star we have is Lynch. And even his stat status isn't fully realized yet, so even that is a questionmark of how good he can be.
Edwards is still a ?....same with Poz.

With a team like we have, only way we can get good players and afford them is to get them from the draft.

We can't afford to get a very average player like Whitner with a #1 pick, we can't afford to pick a bust like Youboty when we're in dire need of a capable CB. We cant afford to trade up into the first round to get a DT that hasn't solved any problems in that area.

Then again, the more picks we have the more chances we have to "luck out" and mistakenly pick a great player.

gr8slayer
01-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Bennett at TE would be like a dream come true for me, almost as much as Marshawn was last year for me.

gr8slayer
01-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Doesn't matter how many picks we seem to have, we always fall short on filling positions.

McCargo, Whitner...def not worth the first round picks we gave.
Youboty, bust.
Ko Simpson is still a question mark.
Dwayne Wright was a waste of a pick.
Out of all the draft picks we've had in the past 2 years, the only star we have is Lynch. And even his stat status isn't fully realized yet, so even that is a questionmark of how good he can be.
Edwards is still a ?....same with Poz.

With a team like we have, only way we can get good players and afford them is to get them from the draft.

We can't afford to get a very average player like Whitner with a #1 pick, we can't afford to pick a bust like Youboty when we're in dire need of a capable CB. We cant afford to trade up into the first round to get a DT that hasn't solved any problems in that area.

Then again, the more picks we have the more chances we have to "luck out" and mistakenly pick a great player.
Whitner and McCargo have been terrible so far but in my book all rookies get three years. I'll call them busts after this year if they continue.....

yordad
01-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Here is a link to draft points.....
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html

Here is the order we pick.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft

If someone has a better seven round draft order list, it would probably be easier.

But, I figure now we can come up with accurate trade senerios. I would but I got company.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-26-2008, 02:02 AM
It is always tough to figure--let alone count on--trades in the draft. There are usually more teams that want to trade down than teams that want to trade up (at least at the value that they should have to give up) and simply making a trade can be more difficult than most fans realize.

Given the nature of this year's draft class and the needs of the teams at the top of the draft, I think that there are going to be even more teams looking to trade down than usual and there may be less teams looking to trade up than usual. But, with there being very little depth at some positions and a lot of depth at others, there are situations that could develop as the draft progresses where teams will have the opportunity to make a decent deal if they want to make one.

As much as some Bills fans see a need for the Bills to take an OLB, given the way that I see that T-2 teams look at their OLBs and how I think that the Bills coaches view K.Ellison, I can envision a scenario where the Bills trade down with a team that really wants a MLB like Conner or a OLB like Rivers, if one or both are still on the board, to take a DE/WR/TE/CB later in the first round and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.

However, if by some miracle, S.Ellis is still sitting on the board at # 11, I wouldn't consider a tradedown no matter what was offered: if he's there, I think he is a guy that the Bills absolutely would have to take.

At 308, Ellis is a guy who could play the 1-tech, as well as the 3-tech for the Bills. IMHO, he and McCargo together, in two years, would give the Bills as good a DT combo in their T-2 as Jacksonville has with Stroud and Henderson.