PDA

View Full Version : What are the pros and cons...

Yasgur's Farm
01-26-2008, 02:21 PM
What is the advantage of trading for Williams vs signing free agents Bryant Johnson or Ernest Wilford?

PROS...
1) A trade would be more in our control over a bidding war for the FA's.

CONS...
1) With Williams signed thru 2009, we'd probably have to re-do his contract pretty close to what it would take to land the FA's.
2) We'd lose our 2nd rounder.

Either way... Unless we both traded for Williams and signed 1 of Johnson or Wilford... We're gonna draft a WR.

streetkings01
01-26-2008, 02:29 PM
I'll pass on Williams! Not worth the contract he would demand and the headache either IMO. I doubt he would come to Buffalo and accept a #2 role especially since he's already publicly stated that he would prefer to play for a team in his home state of Texas(Cowgirls or Texans?)!

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I really do not see many cons to this. We get a great WR to compliment Lee evans and someone big that we can throw to in the endzone. Yes we lose our second rounder but i coukd see us trading our first round pick to someone like washington for their 1st and 2nd round picks so we could draft a good tight end or Dan Connor if he is still their

Philagape
01-26-2008, 03:29 PM
The con on trading for Williams is it isn't gonna happen.

yordad
01-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Did he ask for a trade or something? Or did the Lions ask for a 2nd?

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Theirs a rumor the lions asked for a second

bigbub2352
01-26-2008, 04:43 PM
i would trade a second for him in a second, what if Evans goes back to his 2 slot then we are talkin

SquishDaFish
01-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I would trade a 2nd for him in a heartbeat

yordad
01-26-2008, 05:17 PM
If they want a second for him, it would be a no brainer, IMO.

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Same here i think it would be a great pick up for us especially since we can sign him with all our cap room

m1orenz
01-26-2008, 06:50 PM
What is the advantage of trading for Williams vs signing free agents Bryant Johnson or Ernest Wilford?

PROS...
1) A trade would be more in our control over a bidding war for the FA's.

CONS...
1) With Williams signed thru 2009, we'd probably have to re-do his contract pretty close to what it would take to land the FA's.
2) We'd lose our 2nd rounder.

Either way... Unless we both traded for Williams and signed 1 of Johnson or Wilford... We're gonna draft a WR.

the last yr on his contract is voidable so we would have 1 yr of him. He wants to get the most money possible so i dont think a 1st day pick is worth it

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 06:56 PM
the last yr on his contract is voidable so we would have 1 yr of him. He wants to get the most money possible so i dont think a 1st day pick is worth it

we could always trade for him and reconstruct his contract now

Mr. Pink
01-26-2008, 09:01 PM
The difference between trading for Williams or signing Johnson, Gage or Wilford?

About 4 million dollars per season and about 40 million dollars overall.

On top of losing a draft pick.

Also the guaranteed departure of Lee Evans next year.

yordad
01-26-2008, 09:14 PM
The difference between trading for Williams or signing Johnson, Gage or Wilford?

About 4 million dollars per season and about 40 million dollars overall.

On top of losing a draft pick.

Also the guaranteed departure of Lee Evans next year.So... the glass would still be half empty?

I think the difference would be about 350 yards, 25 catches, and 4 tds. But don't get me wrong, I'd like to have Johnson.

Let me see: take the crap shoot second round draft pick, or take a bona fide stud WR? Don't get me wrong, there are some good prospects, but I don't think I would mind the bona fide stud.

NTM, I find it hard to believe Williams gets 40 million more then Johnson. In fact, wanna bet?

Do I think it is the best thing we could do? Not exactly, but it would be a significant move, so I wouldn't be mad.

Mr. Pink
01-26-2008, 09:20 PM
So... the glass would still be half empty?

I think the difference would be about 350 yards, 25 catches, and 4 tds. But don't get me wrong, I'd like to have Johnson.

Let me see: take the crap shoot second round draft pick, or take a bona fide stud WR? Don't get me wrong, there are some good prospects, but I don't think I would mind the bona fide stud.

NTM, I find it hard to believe Williams gets 40 million more then Johnson. In fact, wanna bet?

Do I think it is the best thing we could do? Not exactly, but it would be a significant move, so I wouldn't be mad.

Johnson doesn't have the body of work to guarantee such a huge payday. He's going to probably be in the neighborhood of 3-4 a year for like 4 years. Meanwhile, Roy Williams is going to want a 7 year deal for like 50 million. Not too mention Williams is going to want more guaranteed money.

Which Williams will get more guaranteed money. Why, you ask? Because he has the proven track record to "justify" it where as Johnson, does not.

gr8slayer
01-26-2008, 09:21 PM
My issue with trading anybody is giving someone a new contract and they just bust like Shaun Alexander.

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
My issue with trading anybody is giving someone a new contract and they just bust like Shaun Alexander.
Regardless of whether he would be a bust or not at least for one year he would draw the cover from lee evans and open him up. Plus as long as he can catch the ball we could always just lob him the ball in the endzone.

gr8slayer
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Regardless of whether he would be a bust or not at least for one year he would draw the cover from lee evans and open him up. Plus as long as he can catch the ball we could always just lob him the ball in the endzone.
I don't think it's that easy, if he were to get traded to us he would either demand an extension or hold out.

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't think it's that easy, if he were to get traded to us he would either demand an extension or hold out.
but IMO it would be worth it. I mean face it the guys a stud and could do great things for the franchise

gr8slayer
01-26-2008, 09:38 PM
but IMO it would be worth it. I mean face it the guys a stud and could do great things for the franchise
It wouldn't be worth it because it would be a waste of a very high draft pick for a one year gamble.

You build through the draft and occasional FA. Now if we could manage to give him what he wants and get him for five years then sure. We also have to remember that there will be other teams asking for his services and he has some power in that process.

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 09:41 PM
It wouldn't be worth it because it would be a waste of a very high draft pick for a one year gamble.

You build through the draft and occasional FA. Now if we could manage to give him what he wants and get him for five years then sure. We also have to remember that there will be other teams asking for his services and he has some power in that process.
But look at all the draft picks we have, and I could see us trading our first for a later first rounder and a second anyway because i really do not think their is a lot to offer for our needs in the position we are picking

gr8slayer
01-26-2008, 09:47 PM
But look at all the draft picks we have, and I could see us trading our first for a later first rounder and a second anyway because i really do not think their is a lot to offer for our needs in the position we are picking
I don't see it, that's not Ralphs style and honestly, I'm kind of glad.

I can't imagine that we'll be very active in FA or trading this year after last year. Ralph seems to have spurts about every three or so years and we're not due.

Look at the elite teams in the league; Greenbay, Dallas, New England (before this year), Indy, NYG (hey, they're in the SB). They all have something about them that's a constant, other than a few FA's here and there their team is largely made up of draft picks.

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't see it, that's not Ralphs style and honestly, I'm kind of glad.

I can't imagine that we'll be very active in FA or trading this year after last year. Ralph seems to have spurts about every three or so years and we're not due.

Look at the elite teams in the league; Greenbay, Dallas, New England (before this year), Indy, NYG (hey, they're in the SB). They all have something about them that's a constant, other than a few FA's here and there their team is largely made up of draft picks.

I agree with you Ralph probably will not do anything along these lines but IMO it would be a great move. I think it takes a little bit of drafting and FA moves to make a good team and the last couple of years we have just been drafting and i think that is what is keeping us back from moving up to the next level

gr8slayer
01-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I agree with you Ralph probably will not do anything along these lines but IMO it would be a great move. I think it takes a little bit of drafting and FA moves to make a good team and the last couple of years we have just been drafting and i think that is what is keeping us back from moving up to the next level
I don't know if I would call our drafting good the past couple of years. We've had some guys who were high draft picks who have been questionable at best so far.

My theory is that you have to give a rookie three years before you can call him a bust so I won't title anyone just yet. But go back and look at our drafts, how many of the guys before 2006 are even with the team anymore or made it past their rookie contracts?

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 10:04 PM
I don't know if I would call our drafting good the past couple of years. We've had some guys who were high draft picks who have been questionable at best so far.

My theory is that you have to give a rookie three years before you can call him a bust so I won't title anyone just yet. But go back and look at our drafts, how many of the guys before 2006 are even with the team anymore or made it past their rookie contracts?
True but our last two drafts IMO have been very good so far especially last year when all of our draft picks except for CJ Ah You or w.e did something for the team. And I really like what i am starting to see from McCargo and Whitner when I thought those were awful draft picks at first.

I think that a couple of proven players and a good draft could push us over the top.

gr8slayer
01-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Did you know that only two of our six 2005 draft picks still play for us? That's terrible.

One out of our six 2004 draft picks still plays for us? This is of course assuming Losman is gone.

Only three of our eight 2003 picks still play for us.

That means that in those three drafts we only have 6 of our 20 draft picks from those three years still playing, that's horrible.

VeggieMan14
01-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Did you know that only two of our six 2005 draft picks still play for us? That's terrible.

One out of our six 2004 draft picks still plays for us? This is of course assuming Losman is gone.

Only three of our eight 2003 picks still play for us.

That means that in those three drafts we only have 6 of our 20 draft picks from those three years still playing, that's horrible.

I agree but the last two drafts we have done well IMO. Those other drafts (not the last two) we also had Mike Mularky as a head coach.

jamze132
01-26-2008, 11:59 PM
The verdict is still out on Marv's draft's but I wouls day he has done a pretty good job. I just hope this upcoming draft is as good as the previous ones he oversaw.

patmoran2006
01-27-2008, 09:35 AM
This trade is never going to happen. Think about this.

If we traded for Roy Williams, we're saying goodbye to Lee Evans after this season. We've also seen that Evans isnt afraid to run his mouth. Imagine how he'd be with the media if he became option #2? We'd have Eric Moulds all over again.

Even more so than that. If we draft a WR early, or we sign a lesser expensive FA like say a Bryant or Gage, then it's conceivable we keep that guy and Evans for the long term.

What's the sense of bringing in one star if it only means you're going to lose another.

I dunno. I guess you can make the arguement either way, but it's pointless because it won't happen anyway.

Personally, I"d rather go after Dallas Clark big-time if Indy doesn't resign/tag him. If not, I'd like to get Johnson or Hackett into the fold; AND draft a WR relatively early.

gr8slayer
01-27-2008, 09:38 AM
This trade is never going to happen. Think about this.

If we traded for Roy Williams, we're saying goodbye to Lee Evans after this season. We've also seen that Evans isnt afraid to run his mouth. Imagine how he'd be with the media if he became option #2? We'd have Eric Moulds all over again.

Even more so than that. If we draft a WR early, or we sign a lesser expensive FA like say a Bryant or Gage, then it's conceivable we keep that guy and Evans for the long term.

What's the sense of bringing in one star if it only means you're going to lose another.

I dunno. I guess you can make the arguement either way, but it's pointless because it won't happen anyway.

Personally, I"d rather go after Dallas Clark big-time if Indy doesn't resign/tag him. If not, I'd like to get Johnson or Hackett into the fold; AND draft a WR relatively early.

Colts GM Bill Polian says Dallas Clark will likely be franchise tagged this offseason.
Polian doesn't expect to reach a long-term accord with Clark before late February. The franchise number for tight ends (likely around $6-7 million) is very manageable for a player of Clark's caliber.

Even if we had the chance to land Clark there's no way we'd pay him what he wants.

don137
01-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I just do not see Buffalo going big money on re-doing Williams contract. Remember Walker, when we got him from Philly Buffalo could not reach an agreement on an extension and Buffalo shipped him out?
Wilford, Bryant and Gage are much more realistic.

patmoran2006
01-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Even if we had the chance to land Clark there's no way we'd pay him what he wants.
I agree. I think he'll be tagged and even if he wasn't I don't think we would pay him that kind of money anway.. I was just pointing out my personal preference.

I don't think there is any way INdy doesn't tag him; he's too important to that potent offense.

gr8slayer
01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
I agree. I think he'll be tagged and even if he wasn't I don't think we would pay him that kind of money anway.. I was just pointing out my personal preference.

I don't think there is any way INdy doesn't tag him; he's too important to that potent offense.
Well, anyone who wouldn't want Clark has a mental issue.