PDA

View Full Version : Over aggressive defense?

Herdwatcher
04-06-2003, 01:36 PM
With all the big moves this offseason on the defensive side of the ball, I'm wondering if the defense is going to be too aggressive on the attack. I really didn't think about it until the Bills signed Dick LeBeau. then I thought this is good, because the players the team picked up are very aggressive players, something I think DC Jerry Gray and HC Williams wouldn't have been able to harness so to speak. LeBeau puts some ease to the worry over it. I still have this thought that keeps popping into my head. I know I shouldn't worry about it, but I sure don't want all this talant to out play it's self which can happen. I guess what I'm trying to say is...it's up to LeBeau to help Jerry keep the reins on the projected potent defense. With all the hype they must improve to a top 5 defense or it will be a bust.

Thoughts?

ublinkwescore
04-06-2003, 01:41 PM
MARK MY WORDS!

THIS WILL BE A TOP 7 DEFENSE.

Ingtar33
04-06-2003, 02:58 PM
I doubt anyone ever complained about an "over aggressive defense" before... this is a new one to me. BB might be one of the most aggressive defensive guys ever, and it never seems to be a problem for him... Lebeau is one of the most aggressive DC's the league has seen since Buddy Ryan... and Ryan made the 46 defense...

imbondz
04-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
I doubt anyone ever complained about an "over aggressive defense" before... this is a new one to me. BB might be one of the most aggressive defensive guys ever, and it never seems to be a problem for him... Lebeau is one of the most aggressive DC's the league has seen since Buddy Ryan... and Ryan made the 46 defense...

I'm trying to figure out what an over aggressive defense is too-
When I think of the best defenses over the past 20 years, the Bears of '85 and the Ravens of 2001 come to mind. It always seemed like it was 11 against 13 when I watched them play. Their defense was always on the football or about to be- If that's over aggressive, then I want the Bills 2003 to be that-

Herdwatcher
04-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by imbondz

When I think of the best defenses over the past 20 years, the Bears of '85 and the Ravens of 2001 come to mind. It always seemed like it was 11 against 13 when I watched them play. Their defense was always on the football or about to be- If that's over aggressive, then I want the Bills 2003 to be that-

I don't know, maybe loss of focus on schemes. Break downs in assignments. Seems like a lot of that went on last season, no focus, over play, plain ol blowing it! As I said, the HC and DC couldn't get things right for most of last season. I really don't think they can handle it this season. When you play on full aggression you take away from your game. Now, without Dick LeBeau I wouldn't feel all that comfortable about the defensive play even with all the additions. true! You need aggression, I love the aggression this unit will have. And what I have been saying is exactly what is in the replys, a great defensive mind behind the controls. ie: Buddy Ryan and the Bears Marvin Lewis with the Ravens. Without LeBeau, it's the same ol defense as last year.

XNOUGHT
04-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by imbondz

I COMPLETELY AGREE!

You know it s great defense when it seems like your playing 15 guys instead of 11.

And speed and scheme are what makes a defense like that.

G. Host
04-06-2003, 08:22 PM
When a defense is too aggressive it overpersues and is vulnerable to such things as play action and trick plays.

Just because our team doesn't use this type of play, it doesn't mean that opposing teams won't and IMO the less a team uses such plays in its offense, the easier its defense is fooled because it is not used to watching them in practice.