PDA

View Full Version : Official Free Agent News Thread

patmoran2006
01-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Some free agent news, as on Ben Maller's NFL Rumors page. I'll try to post some links to articles he has online that would interest the Bills fans, as opposed to every link he has. We'll call this the official "Free Agent News" page and people can update it with news of their own.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl#3

BRIGGS to 49er's?
For the 49ers the rumored interest in Bears Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs persists. Reports out of Chicago said the 49ers tried to trade for Briggs before the trade deadline, which 49ers coach Mike Nolan would neither confirm nor deny. -- SF Chronicle

BRONCOS WORKING ON TRADE FOR DT ROGERS?
The Broncos should pay attention to reports that Detroit will either trade or release defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. The Broncos have been enamored of Rogers. A potential stumbling block is Denver wanting to hold onto its high draft picks. Denver has dealt well with his agents, so it wouldn't be a surprise if they try to work a deal for Rogers. -- Denver Post

LB AL WILSON CLEARED TO RETURN
The Al Wilson watch should heat up after the Super Bowl. After the Broncos' former middle linebacker and defensive captain was cleared to return to the NFL last month, his Denver-based agent Peter Schaffer received several calls about Wilson's availability. Wilson is working out and is expected to try to decide on his future in February before the free-agency period begins Feb. 29. Because Wilson was cut by Denver last April, he is free to sign with any team. -- Denver Post

jamze132
01-27-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't see us being huge players in FA this year. I think we are going to try and save some money to sign Evans longterm while picking up some mediocre players in their prime hoping the light turns on for them.

Scumbag College
01-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Do the Broncos have to pick up every big name DL?

venis2k1
01-28-2008, 07:14 AM

Cant argue with Success :rolleyes: ...Those bums were worse than the bills against the run this year.

HHURRICANE
01-28-2008, 07:33 AM
It's safe to say that the Bills will not bring anybody in that is a star in this league. Too risky to the rest of the "blue collar" guys on the team.

Mr. Miyagi
01-28-2008, 07:38 AM
They like to think of themselves as a retirement home for declining DLs, ala the Dolphins for linebackers.

Romes
01-28-2008, 07:52 AM
It's safe to say that the Bills will not bring anybody in that is a star in this league. Too risky to the rest of the "blue collar" guys on the team.

How many of the stars of this league are free agents?

hydro
01-28-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't see us being huge players in FA this year. I think we are going to try and save some money to sign Evans longterm while picking up some mediocre players in their prime hoping the light turns on for them.

This sounds familiar...

don137
01-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Sounds like Pat Bowlen is talking our of both sides of his mouth. In a different aricle he says how the current labor agreement is hurting mid-size teams just like little teams and how they need to be very frugal with their money and spend wisely since they need to make every dollar count yet here you see how they are going after trading for Rogers instead of seeing if they can get him cheaper in FA (unless they feel he will not come any cheaper).

raphael120
01-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Ralph already said we weren't going to be big FA players this season. I expect your who's who of backups and role players signed in FA.

We have enough picks, and hopefully more from a Losman trade, that we can try to fill all the major need positions (DT, WR, TE, CB) in the draft. It comes down to smart drafting, and this past season shows we found potentially have a good RB, QB, and LB.

We just need to be smart meaning no drafting two of the same damn skill position like the Lynch/Wright pick. Wright was a waste and I'd rather them have taken a chance at a WR or CB at that spot. It's amazing if you look at certain teams and what kind of gems teams found at lower draft spots. Look at the Giants! But my take is if you have a chance to screw up in the draft, might as well screw up in a position you need, and not some backup RB position. Wright is a bust, and Im pissed at the waste of a pick. If we wouldve drafted a CB or DT, or WR, and he was a bust, at least we tried to fill that position. You never know if you luck out and you find a decent starter at one of those positions.

gr8slayer
01-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Ralph already said we weren't going to be big FA players this season. I expect your who's who of backups and role players signed in FA.

We have enough picks, and hopefully more from a Losman trade, that we can try to fill all the major need positions (DT, WR, TE, CB) in the draft. It comes down to smart drafting, and this past season shows we found potentially have a good RB, QB, and LB.

We just need to be smart meaning no drafting two of the same damn skill position like the Lynch/Wright pick. Wright was a waste and I'd rather them have taken a chance at a WR or CB at that spot. It's amazing if you look at certain teams and what kind of gems teams found at lower draft spots. Look at the Giants! But my take is if you have a chance to screw up in the draft, might as well screw up in a position you need, and not some backup RB position. Wright is a bust, and Im pissed at the waste of a pick. If we wouldve drafted a CB or DT, or WR, and he was a bust, at least we tried to fill that position. You never know if you luck out and you find a decent starter at one of those positions.
So we do think alike!