PDA

View Full Version : I'm beginning to see where...

Yasgur's Farm
01-28-2008, 07:59 AM
I've been reallizing lately that a big WR in the draft isn't necessary.

I've thought all along that we needed to sign a big #2 FA... That hasn't changed.

What's changed is my thinking that we need to draft a big WR for a future starter.

Here's a 14 step off season plan I've been mulling over. It's the only scenario I can think of (other than trade down) that has us going WR in round 1.

1) Sign Bryant Johnson.
2) Extend Lee Evans.
3) Draft WR Desean Jackson round 1 (Evans, Johnson, Jackson, Reed, Parrish, Hubbard).
4) Draft DT Pat Sims round 2 (McCargo, Tripplett, Sims, Williams).
5) Draft TE Brad Cottam round 3a (Royal, Cottam, Gaines, Schouman).
6) Draft CB Charles Godfrey round 3b (McGee, Greer, Godfrey, Youboty).
7) Draft FB Owen Schmitt round 4 (Schmitt, Barnes).
8) Draft DE Tommy Blake round 5a (Schobel, Kesay, Denney, Blake, Neill).
9) Draft WR Paul Hubbard round 5b.
10) Extend Angelo Crowell.
11) Move DiGiorgio to OLB.
12) Draft ILB Ben Moffitt round 6 (Posluszny, Crowell, DiGiorgio, Wire, Ellison, Moffitt).
13) OG Shannon Tevage round 7a (Dockery, Butler, Whittle, Tevage).
14) OT Breno Giacomini round 7b (Peters, Walker, Merz, Giacomini).

DraftBoy
01-28-2008, 08:19 AM
-Hate the Jackson pick, really I do, maybe hate is a strong word, but greatly despise at least
-Sims would be good in Rd 2, in fact Id love it!
-Cottam is Rd 3 is a big reach, rather Martin Rucker, who should be there
-There are going to be better CB's then Godfrey avail at that pick maybe Trae Williams out of South Florida
-Still dont see a reason to take Schmitt in Rd 4, he can break face masks, when that equates to points, Ill care about it
-Like Blake alot, but he's way over weight and Im not sure where his head is at
-Hubbard is a solid pick!
-Moffit, Tevaga are good picks
-Not sold on Giacomini

Overall Im not a big fan of your draft, really we dont need to add nor do we have the room for 3 WR's this off season. We dont get a project QB which I am a big proponent of doing, and we really dont take many impact players. Id be very disappointed if this were the Bills draft. Overall Id say its a C-

gr8slayer
01-28-2008, 08:29 AM
We don't need another midget at WR, we need a guy who can score points in the redzone. I still fail to understand everyone's obsession with Schmitt, so he's a hard runner, you can find those in round seven and even rookie FA. Unless he's Mike Alstott I don't see the big deal.

EDS
01-28-2008, 08:30 AM
I've been reallizing lately that a big WR in the draft isn't necessary.

I've thought all along that we needed to sign a big #2 FA... That hasn't changed.

What's changed is my thinking that we need to draft a big WR for a future starter.

Here's a 14 step off season plan I've been mulling over. It's the only scenario I can think of (other than trade down) that has us going WR in round 1.

1) Sign Bryant Johnson.
2) Extend Lee Evans.
3) Draft WR Desean Jackson round 1 (Evans, Johnson, Jackson, Reed, Parrish, Hubbard).
4) Draft DT Pat Sims round 2 (McCargo, Tripplett, Sims, Williams).
5) Draft TE Brad Cottam round 3a (Royal, Cottam, Gaines, Schouman).
6) Draft CB Charles Godfrey round 3b (McGee, Greer, Godfrey, Youboty).
7) Draft FB Owen Schmitt round 4 (Schmitt, Barnes).
8) Draft DE Tommy Blake round 5a (Schobel, Kesay, Denney, Blake, Neill).
9) Draft WR Paul Hubbard round 5b.
10) Extend Angelo Crowell.
11) Move DiGiorgio to OLB.
12) Draft ILB Ben Moffitt round 6 (Posluszny, Crowell, DiGiorgio, Wire, Ellison, Moffitt).
13) OG Shannon Tevage round 7a (Dockery, Butler, Whittle, Tevage).
14) OT Breno Giacomini round 7b (Peters, Walker, Merz, Giacomini).

If the Bills sign a guy like Johnson then I think drafting a wide receiver in round 1 is a mistake given the amount of money that will be invested in the position already and the other deficiencies in the roster. I would much rather get a LB at 11 rather then reach for a WR. Sims I would be very happy with but think the Bills need to address offensive line depth before the seventh round, most notably at tackle.

hydro
01-28-2008, 08:44 AM
If the Bills sign a guy like Johnson then I think drafting a wide receiver in round 1 is a mistake given the amount of money that will be invested in the position already and the other deficiencies in the roster. I would much rather get a LB at 11 rather then reach for a WR. Sims I would be very happy with but think the Bills need to address offensive line depth before the seventh round, most notably at tackle.

We need a OT? Thats news to me. I am pretty sure Walker was solid all year and I know you don't want to replace Peters.

DraftBoy
01-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Getting a RG to replace Butler (like a Jordan Grimes) gives us the depth we need at both OG and OT as Butler is that versatile. Just saying...

Lone Stranger
01-28-2008, 10:06 AM
The Bills are going defense in the first round; I will guarantee it.

EDS
01-28-2008, 10:09 AM
We need a OT? Thats news to me. I am pretty sure Walker was solid all year and I know you don't want to replace Peters.

I wrote that we need DEPTH at OT. As in Chambers stinks and the Bills need a passable reserve in the event that either Walker or Peters get injured. I am thinking a 5th rounder.

EDS
01-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Getting a RG to replace Butler (like a Jordan Grimes) gives us the depth we need at both OG and OT as Butler is that versatile. Just saying...

That would work for me as well. I think Butler would be a more natural fit at tackle anyway.

hydro
01-28-2008, 10:18 AM
I wrote that we need DEPTH at OT. As in Chambers stinks and the Bills need a passable reserve in the event that either Walker or Peters get injured. I am thinking a 5th rounder.

Ah, alright gotcha. Yeah I would agree that we have less than admirable backups for almost all of our lineman.

VeggieMan14
01-28-2008, 01:46 PM
We need a big WR not fast small ones

Confused
01-28-2008, 04:56 PM
hmmmmmm i read something about this elsewhere........

Jackson is ok if we dont extend Lee, and if we sign a roy williams err i mean a wideout in FA. I'm not opposed to not resigning Lee, he aint THAT great. Maybe see what he is worth on the trading block.

distinct lack of tight ends in your draft.

Yasgur's Farm
01-28-2008, 04:57 PM
We need a big WR not fast small onesBryant Johnson is small?

1) Sign Bryant Johnson.Of course if we don't sign a big FA there is no room for even a 6 footer like Jackson.

gr8slayer
01-28-2008, 04:58 PM
And didn't Crowell recently get an extension?

Yasgur's Farm
01-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Crowell is a FA after 2008... Same as Evans if he chooses.

Oaf
01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Reed and parrish are great #3 and #4 options, so signing Bryant AND drafting a WR round 1 would be a serious waste of value.

All we need to do is sign ONE bonafide WR, meaning someone that can start immediately at #2. Whatever is takes to get that, we have got to accomplish.

patmoran2006
01-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Crowell is a FA after 2008... Same as Evans if he chooses.
Evans is signed until 2009.

What the BIlls do in the draft in terms of getting a WR depends on what if anything they do in free agency.

They know they probably have the extend Evans. They already gave Parrish a nice raise. Even assuming they cut Price, Reed still makes $2 million per year.

If they sign a significant WR in FA, like say a Gage, Johnston or whomever, then they're not going to spend a draft pick that high on a WR with all these investments.

If they don't sign a good FA WR, then you can bet they will take a WR at #11, and my money is on Kelly or Sweed.

Yasgur's Farm
01-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Evans has an option for 2009... He can opt out after the 2008 season.

Contract Details... (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=26)

7/14/2004: Signed a five-year, $12.6 million contract. The deal included a $2.25 million signing bonus and contains $7.17 million in total guarantees. 2008: $2.25 million, 2009: $1,236,250 (Voidable Year), 2010: Free Agent

mysticsoto
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Evans has an option for 2009... He can opt out after the 2008 season.

Contract Details... (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=26)

I'm kind of surprised Evans hasn't been signed long term yet. I wonder if he's playing hard ball and declining offers presented to him to test the market next year...

Confused
01-31-2008, 04:23 PM
he'll get paid what he is worth WHEN he leaves Buffalo. Of course he's playing hardball.....