PDA

View Full Version : Peter King likes promotion of Schonert

Goobylal
01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Saw this posted elsewhere, so I thought I'd post it here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/01/27/superbowlweek/4.html

"9. I think the Bills made a very good choice in Turk Schonert as offensive coordinator. His appointment means more of a power running style, which will help Marshawn Lynch rush for more yards, but it also means great things for Trent Edwards. Schonert's an underrated pass-game brain."

MikeInRoch
01-28-2008, 01:14 PM
That just proves that we are screwed.

venis2k1
01-28-2008, 01:22 PM
well peter king is usually pretty on the ball :rolleyes:

gr8slayer
01-28-2008, 01:27 PM
That just proves that we are screwed.
:rofl: I was thinking the same thing when I read the thread title. Anytime King says it's true it's not so.

Buckets
01-28-2008, 01:27 PM
How would he know? Based on what?

Jaybird
01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
let's not jump the gun!!!!!!

Devin
01-28-2008, 02:12 PM
LOUD NOISES!!!!!

Romes
01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
let's not jump the gun!!!!!!

I was about to jump the gun but the 5th exlcamation point convinced me not to.

Mitchy moo
01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I was about to jump the gun but the 5th exlcamation point convinced me not to.

lol, i need 6 to convince me. King is a jackoff & we all know it.

Jan Reimers
01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I actually like seeing positives from the national media, even if this one contradicts the Wys viewpoint.

tat2dmike77
01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
LOUD NOISES!!!!!

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!

PECKERWOOD
01-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!

CLANK

CLANK

CLANK

LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!!

mayotm
01-28-2008, 05:38 PM
How would he know? Based on what?Probably based on the same information people around here use to claim he is going to suck.

YardRat
01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Nice to see some positive press, but it doesn't make King any less of a tool.

Philagape
01-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Probably based on the same information people around here use to claim he is going to suck.

While that information doesn't predict the future, it's indicative of sucking a lot more than succeeding.

Night Train
01-29-2008, 02:02 AM
What doesn't make sense is the power running theory. Our OL is clearly set up for the QB to throw first in order to set up draws,delays, inside traps etc. In other words, a west coast offense.

We couldn't blow teams off the line but our pass blocking was exceptional. This is a clear example of King not watching our games and knowing our team.

Jeff1220
01-29-2008, 07:29 AM
What doesn't make sense is the power running theory. Our OL is clearly set up for the QB to throw first in order to set up draws,delays, inside traps etc. In other words, a west coast offense.

We couldn't blow teams off the line but our pass blocking was exceptional. This is a clear example of King not watching our games and knowing our team.

I don't think that the system is set up to be pass-first, I just think that the run blocking was weak, so they sort of leaned on the pass more than they should have.
Marshawn Lynch was one of the top RB in number of carries. That tells me that running is what they wanted to do, they just didn't do it as well as we'd all like.

mayotm
01-29-2008, 07:29 AM
While that information doesn't predict the future, it's indicative of sucking a lot more than succeeding.The fact of the matter is that nobody knows what kind of OC Schonert is going to be. Unlike many, I'm simply willing to see a few games next year before casting judgement.

Buckets
01-29-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't think that the system is set up to be pass-first, I just think that the run blocking was weak, so they sort of leaned on the pass more than they should have.
Marshawn Lynch was one of the top RB in number of carries. That tells me that running is what they wanted to do, they just didn't do it as well as we'd all like.

What system?

madness
01-29-2008, 07:52 AM
King is just playing off the facts.

1. His appointment means more of a power running style, which will help Marshawn Lynch rush for more yards,... TS is adding a FB into the scheme.

2. but it also means great things for Trent Edwards. Schonert's an underrated pass-game brain."... While TS played for Walsh he led the nation in TD passes and passing efficiency and has a very good understanding of Walsh's WCO.

gr8slayer
01-29-2008, 09:56 AM
King is just playing off the facts.

1. His appointment means more of a power running style, which will help Marshawn Lynch rush for more yards,... TS is adding a FB into the scheme.

2. but it also means great things for Trent Edwards. Schonert's an underrated pass-game brain."... While TS played for Walsh he led the nation in TD passes and passing efficiency and has a very good understanding of Walsh's WCO.
Facts based on what? Unless I'm mistaken the man has never been a play caller.

raphael120
01-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Uh...so Schonert is known for his power running style?

Based on what..where?

Goobylal
01-29-2008, 10:05 AM
What is the opinion on Don Banks?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/28/Day1/1.html

"• I covered Turk Schonert when he was a Bucs quarterbacks coach under Sam Wyche in the early-to-mid-90s, and if there's something that Bills fans should know about their new offensive coordinator and play-caller it's that he's never been afraid to take chances. If my hunch is right, boring will no longer be a word used to describe Buffalo's attack.

Schonert is convinced that Buffalo quarterback Trent Edwards can win in this league, and he thought the ex-Stanford star was one of the steals of the 2007 draft when the Bills took him in the third round."

gr8slayer
01-29-2008, 10:06 AM
What is the opinion on Don Banks?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/28/Day1/1.html

"• I covered Turk Schonert when he was a Bucs quarterbacks coach under Sam Wyche in the early-to-mid-90s, and if there's something that Bills fans should know about their new offensive coordinator and play-caller it's that he's never been afraid to take chances. If my hunch is right, boring will no longer be a word used to describe Buffalo's attack.

Schonert is convinced that Buffalo quarterback Trent Edwards can win in this league, and he thought the ex-Stanford star was one of the steals of the 2007 draft when the Bills took him in the third round."
We're all hopeful, we just haven't seen anything with our own eyes yet so how can we be overly optimistic?

Goobylal
01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
We're all hopeful, we just haven't seen anything with our own eyes yet so how can we be overly optimistic?
True. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach myself. I just wanted to post some actual "experts's" opinions on the Schonert promotion, to counter the so-called "experts's" opinions here.

Philagape
01-29-2008, 01:59 PM
The fact of the matter is that nobody knows what kind of OC Schonert is going to be. Unlike many, I'm simply willing to see a few games next year before casting judgement.

King's already passed judgment, I was referring to him.

Michael82
01-29-2008, 02:02 PM
He still is known as Shirley Temple to me. :::

madness
01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Facts based on what? Unless I'm mistaken the man has never been a play caller.

You're mistaken....partially.

gr8slayer
01-29-2008, 10:26 PM
You're mistaken....partially.
At the NFL level? I can't find anything that indicates he's been an OC as an NFL coach.

Romes
01-30-2008, 01:00 AM
At the NFL level? I can't find anything that indicates he's been an OC as an NFL coach.

He has never been OC but he has called plays...

When he was in New Orleans in 2005 as quarterbacks coach, he called the no-huddle and two-minute offensive plays.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/253803.html

gr8slayer
01-30-2008, 08:18 AM
He has never been OC but he has called plays...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/253803.html
:sigh: you get my point.

Romes
01-30-2008, 08:23 AM
:sigh: you get my point.

yup. its cool. I am just trying to be a smart ass. :up: