PDA

View Full Version : Mortensen: Fins and Cowboys looks like they are swapping draft pick(s)

Mitchy moo
01-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Apparently Jerry Jones is enarmored with McFadden. They have two first round picks (#22 / #28) and they are supposed to do a sign and trade with RB Marion Barber III to even the trade up. The University of Arkansas is Jerry Jones' alma mater and the #1 pick guarantees the Cowboys getting McFadden. Some believe that the framework has already been in place for a trade and that this allowed the Dolphins to have their way with Dallas' front office and coaching staff.

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1267793-->
<!-- THE POST -->

hydro
01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Link???

edit: I see you changed the title now.

Goobylal
01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Not gonna happen like that, if at all. Just because Jones wants McFadden, it doesn't mean he's going to get him. And I hope he doesn't.

patmoran2006
01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
If I was Miami I'd make that trade in a SECOND...

Barber AND two first rounders? MIami needs all the young talent they can get.. And Barber is a workhorse.

If there is ANY validity to this rumor; its because Dallas obviously and some other teams think McFadden will have an Adrian Peterson like impact.

Mitchy moo
01-28-2008, 03:37 PM
1st pick 3000

22nd 780
28th 660
------
1440 total

3000-1440 = 1560 approx the value of the 7th/8th pick

Is Barber worth the 7th/8th pick of the draft?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html

Ed
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
1st pick 3000

22nd 780
28th 660
------
1440 total

3000-1440 = 1560 approx the value of the 7th/8th pick

Is Barber worth the 7th/8th pick of the draft?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html
No, but if you're Miami, I think you do whatever you can to get out of that #1 spot. It's just not worth it.

Mitchy moo
01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Link???

edit: I see you changed the title now.

'BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?
ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.
Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.
Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/01/27/support_for_tippett_grows/?page=4

hydro
01-28-2008, 03:44 PM
'BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?
ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.
Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.
Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/01/27/support_for_tippett_grows/?page=4

:up:

tat2dmike77
01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Because i hate the cowboys so much. If this deal does happen and they do get McFadden i hope he is a bust.

DraftBoy
01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Wow...I believe somebody said this was likely to happen well before the season even began and was told repeatedly that there was no way, because the Cowboys had two good backs and that was from multiple posters. Hmmm.......

Devin
01-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Jerry Jones has a hard-on the size of a house for Dmac. And as Draftboy pointed out the Dallas connection is there as well. Didnt Jerry jones graduate from Arkansas? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Wouldnt shock me at all to see Dallas make a move for him. Hes never hidden his man crush on Dmac.

Wow Draftboy havent you been saying this for almost an entire season now?

Imagine that.

DraftBoy
01-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Wow Draftboy havent you been saying this for almost an entire season now?

Imagine that.

No no no, you must have me confused with somebody else...That cant possibly be me, I mean ask FTP one of the many resident Phin fans, Im a hack that talks out of my ass, I dont watch film, or actually read information about this stuff. I wouldnt possibly have any idea about wtf Im talking about, they let me help on the BZ Draft Guide to make me feel special.

gr8slayer
01-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I still don't think it happens.

gr8slayer
01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Cowboys have a strong interest in Arkansas RB Darren McFadden.
Dallas has the No. 22 and No. 28 picks in the first round, so moving up in the draft won't be a problem. Moving up high enough to have a shot at McFadden will be difficult. The Cowboys would likely have to move ahead of the Falcons, who draft third. Miami is known to be interested in trading down.

BTW DB, news around these parts is that the Cowboys are trying to actually re-sign both Jones and Barber and are in contract talks with both. If it happens I salute you, I would just call it a long shot right now.

!Papacrunk!
01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
that'd be cool if they were to make that trade, and then Miami would end up trading Barber for more pick(s)

gr8slayer
01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
that'd be cool if they were to make that trade, and then Miami would end up trading Barber for more pick(s)
No way Parcells would trade Barber.

YardRat
01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Miami's offensive line is already pretty decent, and the addition of Barber would give them a nice one-two punch with Brown while they figure out the QB and WR positions.

I'm with pm on this...If I'm Miami I don't think twice about pulling the trigger.

Devin
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
As I said to DB earlier that trade makes great sense for both teams. And im all for Dmac going to the NFC.

!Papacrunk!
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Miami's offensive line is already pretty decent, and the addition of Barber would give them a nice one-two punch with Brown while they figure out the QB and WR positions.

I'm with pm on this...If I'm Miami I don't think twice about pulling the trigger.

bad joke alert--there could be new Killer B's--Brown, Barber and Booker.

Also, speaking of QB, I'm not ready to cast away Beck just yet, especially if Miami was to wrestle away Pete Carmichael away from the Saints as the OC (which is starting to look pretty doubtful.) It seemed like Carmichael had been pretty instrumental in developing Drew Brees.

Bling
01-28-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't know who denied you DB, but it isn't as left field as you thought it was. I remember NFLDraftcountdown reporting it awhile ago when they had the Boys inheriting Cleveland's high pick.

DraftBoy
01-28-2008, 09:43 PM
BTW DB, news around these parts is that the Cowboys are trying to actually re-sign both Jones and Barber and are in contract talks with both. If it happens I salute you, I would just call it a long shot right now.

Yes Barber would have to sign a new deal in order for the deal to happen, thus making it a sign and trade.

gr8slayer
01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes Barber would have to sign a new deal in order for the deal to happen, thus making it a sign and trade.
Sorry man, it's not going to happen.

Kenny
01-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Cant see it happening. the Fins would have to be ******ed to do that trade (even more so than taking Ginn last year).

As Skooby mentioned previously, the #1 pick is worth more than the two Dallas first rounders.
Secondly, why would the Fins need another RB? Ronnie Brown has got to be the unquestioned starter right now. The guy was tearing it up before the injury!

Bling
01-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Cant see it happening. the Fins would have to be ******ed to do that trade (even more so than taking Ginn last year).

As Skooby mentioned previously, the #1 pick is worth more than the two Dallas first rounders.
Secondly, why would the Fins need another RB? Ronnie Brown has got to be the unquestioned starter right now. The guy was tearing it up before the injury!

He excelled with Ricky. He excelled with Cadillac. He's unselfish, and he came off an ACL. I have no problem with having Barber, Brown, Booker, Ricky Williams and Jesse Chatman. Plenty of trade bait.