PDA

View Full Version : Does history repeat its self?

Wally The Barber
01-29-2008, 05:24 AM
I am not sure how many of you remember the trade by Buffalo in 1967 but I remember it well.

The Bills had their starting QB in Jack Kemp and decided to trade Daryl Lomonica away to Oakland and he took the Raiders to the Superbowl.

Lamonica's strength was a powerful arm and was known as the "Mad Bomber"
He was a good scrambler and he just loved the long ball.

Anybody see the Dejevu here?

Calm down, I am not calling Losman Daryl Lamonica but the situation is simular.

Too Simular, And it gives me the creeps.

http://www.raidersonline.org/daryle-lamonica.php

mybills
01-29-2008, 06:04 AM
So you think Losman will win a SB with the next team he plays for? :ill:

Wally The Barber
01-29-2008, 06:11 AM

Nooooooooo!

I think he gets a clipboard and 2nd string job but the situation brings back bad memories for me!

jamze132
01-29-2008, 06:13 AM
I think JP will perform much better for his next team. To be fair, he was yanked around here by multiple coaching staffs. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it due to his play, but any QB who is forced to play "tag, your it..." is more than likely going to fail.

He had some bad luck with the last regime change who wanted "their" guy when they drafted Edwards. But the NFL is a business and you have to perform no matter the conditions or setting when your name is called.

Forward_Lateral
01-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Kemp turned out OK, didn't he?

SquishDaFish
01-29-2008, 06:29 AM
I agree with Jamze

Wally The Barber
01-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Kemp turned out OK, didn't he?

Jack Kemps big years were before 1967 and the Bills went nowhere after Lamonica left town!

Was not Kemps fault though!

Buffatexas
01-29-2008, 07:28 AM

I could stomach that more than RJ winning one in Tampa

mybills
01-29-2008, 07:43 AM
I have to agree with you there.

Mad Bomber
01-29-2008, 08:07 AM
I am not sure how many of you remember the trade by Buffalo in 1967 but I remember it well.

The Bills had their starting QB in Jack Kemp and decided to trade Daryl Lomonica away to Oakland and he took the Raiders to the Superbowl.

Lamonica's strength was a powerful arm and was known as the "Mad Bomber"
He was a good scrambler and he just loved the long ball.

That was a dark day in Bills history.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2008, 08:11 AM
He was a third stringer who even gives a ****?

mybills
01-29-2008, 08:17 AM
That's not the point, Corey. He got a flippin ring! :down:

Buffatexas
01-29-2008, 08:18 AM
He was a third stringer who even gives a ****?

I wouldn't care if he was the freaking waterboy, point is he got a ring by not doing squat

IF JP leaves, and gets a SB ring, chances are it will be as a backup. And i could accept that.

If he gets it as a starter however (and because of his play) they win the big one...well, I am sure a lot of people will be pissed.

raphael120
01-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah Im sure RJ is real happy and proud about his SB ring. He's a joke to the NFL and probably hocked his ring for cash to buy potato chips and booze.

Buffatexas
01-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah Im sure RJ is real happy and proud about his SB ring. He's a joke to the NFL and probably hocked his ring for cash to buy potato chips and booze.

with the amount of $$$ we paid him, I dont think he needs to hock anything

gr8slayer
01-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Daryl Lomonica
That's by far one of the best names in NFL history.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-29-2008, 12:05 PM
I saw Daryl Lamonica play. And, there is a big difference between JP Losman and Daryl Lamonica.

Lamonica engineered some huge combacks for the Bills during their championship seasons in relief of Jack Kemp. Even though he was Kemp's back-up, he looked and played like a starting QB and everyone could tell that he was going to be a star. While Kemp was the big name and obviously a veteran leader of the team whose leadership was recognized league -wide, nevertheless, there were some, myself included, who felt that the injuries he had already suffered had begun to erode his skills on the field and wanted Lamonica to take over as the Bills starting QB before he was traded to Oakland.

The Lamonica trade to Oakland was a stunner and baffled most Bills fans. Lamonica was obviously a "comer" who was going to be a star--the perfect replacement for Kemp--and Glenn Bass, while he had been hurt, had been # 2 in the league in receptions before his injury. Tom Flores had started some games for the woeful Raiders, but was clearly only a mediocre QB at best--a back-up. And, while Art Powell had been one of the best WRs in the league in its early years for the NY Titans (now Jets), he, too, had been hurt and was clearly on the decline.

It was a BAD trade (especially when followed up by the Bills virtually giving young, up and coming DT Tom Keating to the Raiders as well). What we now know, however, was that it was pretty much a flat "give away" by Ralph Wilson that was designed to help keep the virtually bankrupt Raiders afloat by making them more competitive and more attractive to the fans in the Bay Area so that the AFL would be able to survive long enough to complete the merger with the NFL. (Wilson also put money into the Raiders to keep them from folding. If the Oakland franchise had folded, the AFL would not have had enough teams to keep going and merger talks with the NFL owners--who hated the AFL, would have love to kill it, and had only been forced to talk about a merger when the AFL began offering huge contracts to its stars--would have fallen through.)

It was a bad trade, but it allowed the AFL to survive and helped to make pro football what it is today--but at the expense of the Buffalo Bills. Lamonica instantly made the Raiders an exciting team to watch and before long they surpassed the aging Bills as one of the leagues premier teams.

I like JP Losman. He's got a tremendous arm and is a good athlete. He's had some good games for the Bills. But, this isn't the AFL where you can throw the ball up 40+ times a game and win if yuo complete 55% of your passes. And, unfortunately, JP hasn't shown the pocket-presence, poise or consistency so far to make it clear that he can be a successful QB in the NFL.

Losman could be a good or even great QB--you keep hoping that he will be--but with Lamonica, by the time the Bills traded him, it was obvious that he would be a a very good or even great QB--you just knew, seeing him play, that Lamonica could be special.

The Lamonica trade saved the AFL and helped put the Buffalo Bills in the NFL, but, while I understand why he did it, I will never forgive Ralph Wilson for making that deal and will always hate the Raiders for ruining the Bills future (and subjecting me to the years of ridicule that I was subjected to when I went to college and began living in the NYC area because the Bills were so bad during the years that Lamonica was a star in Oakland).

Philagape
01-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Jack Kemps big years were before 1967 and the Bills went nowhere after Lamonica left town!

Was not Kemps fault though!

That's the key difference. Kemp's best days were behind him.

Wally The Barber
01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I saw Daryl Lamonica play. And, there is a big difference between JP Losman and Daryl Lamonica.

Lamonica engineered some huge combacks for the Bills during their championship seasons in relief of Jack Kemp. Even though he was Kemp's back-up, he looked and played like a starting QB and everyone could tell that he was going to be a star. While Kemp was the big name and obviously a veteran leader of the team whose leadership was recognized league -wide, nevertheless, there were some, myself included, who felt that the injuries he had already suffered had begun to erode his skills on the field and wanted Lamonica to take over as the Bills starting QB before he was traded to Oakland.

The Lamonica trade to Oakland was a stunner and baffled most Bills fans. Lamonica was obviously a "comer" who was going to be a star--the perfect replacement for Kemp--and Glenn Bass, while he had been hurt, had been # 2 in the league in receptions before his injury. Tom Flores had started some games for the woeful Raiders, but was clearly only a mediocre QB at best--a back-up. And, while Art Powell had been one of the best WRs in the league in its early years for the NY Titans (now Jets), he, too, had been hurt and was clearly on the decline.

It was a BAD trade (especially when followed up by the Bills virtually giving young, up and coming DT Tom Keating to the Raiders as well). What we now know, however, was that it was pretty much a flat "give away" by Ralph Wilson that was designed to help keep the virtually bankrupt Raiders afloat by making them more competitive and more attractive to the fans in the Bay Area so that the AFL would be able to survive long enough to complete the merger with the NFL. (Wilson also put money into the Raiders to keep them from folding. If the Oakland franchise had folded, the AFL would not have had enough teams to keep going and merger talks with the NFL owners--who hated the AFL, would have love to kill it, and had only been forced to talk about a merger when the AFL began offering huge contracts to its stars--would have fallen through.)

It was a bad trade, but it allowed the AFL to survive and helped to make pro football what it is today--but at the expense of the Buffalo Bills. Lamonica instantly made the Raiders an exciting team to watch and before long they surpassed the aging Bills as one of the leagues premier teams.

I like JP Losman. He's got a tremendous arm and is a good athlete. He's had some good games for the Bills. But, this isn't the AFL where you can throw the ball up 40+ times a game and win if yuo complete 55% of your passes. And, unfortunately, JP hasn't shown the pocket-presence, poise or consistency so far to make it clear that he can be a successful QB in the NFL.

Losman could be a good or even great QB--you keep hoping that he will be--but with Lamonica, by the time the Bills traded him, it was obvious that he would be a a very good or even great QB--you just knew, seeing him play, that Lamonica could be special.

The Lamonica trade saved the AFL and helped put the Buffalo Bills in the NFL, but, while I understand why he did it, I will never forgive Ralph Wilson for making that deal and will always hate the Raiders for ruining the Bills future (and subjecting me to the years of ridicule that I was subjected to when I went to college and began living in the NYC area because the Bills were so bad during the years that Lamonica was a star in Oakland).

Thank you life time, You know your football and I can not think of anyone that could have written a better response, Everything is true.

chernobylwraiths
01-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, Lamonica made the Raiders a good team, but they didn't win the Superbowl with him.

I wonder if the Raiders gave Ralph a superbowl trophy when they won their first one?

YardRat
01-29-2008, 06:24 PM
I think it's more comparable to Dennis Shaw/Joe Ferguson myself.

He came, he saw, he sucked for three years...Time to make room for the rookie.

carybillsfan
01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Actually the way the story really played out Kemp was the starter (like Losman) they drafted Lamonica (like Edwards) and then traded away Lamonica(bad move). I know the move help save the AFL and was well documented. But if history proves anything they must have learned from their mistakes, because Losman's days are numbered in Buffalo, not Edwards'.