• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buffalony85
    • Nov 2007

Bills Sign Teyo Johnson

College
    Teyo was recruited to Stanford University as one of the most highly touted two-sport athletes in the country. He aspired to play quarterback, but as he was buried on the depth chart, the coaches switched him to wide receiver to get his talent on the field [1]. He racked up 79 catches, 1032 yards and 15 TDs in 22 games. After his sophomore season he decided to leave school early and enter the NFL draft.
    He also played forward for two years on the Stanford basketball team, alongside future NBA players like Josh Childress, Casey Jacobsen, Jason Collins and Jarron Collins.

NFL
    Teyo was drafted with the 63rd pick in the 2003 NFL draft by the Oakland Raiders. In his rookie year he once again changed positions, this time to tight end. He played in all 16 games and made 14 catches for 128 yards and 1 TD.
    His second season saw him play in only 8 games. He believed that his role was reduced because he missed some voluntary offseason workouts to go to China on an NFL tour, although head coach Norv Turner denied this was the case [2]. Johnson made 9 catches, 131 yards, and 2 TDs.
    The start of his third season came with disappointment as he was released by the Raiders at the end of the preseason. He was however quickly signed by the Arizona Cardinals. He only played 6 games for the Cardinals before was once again released. He only made 3 catches for 29 yards in those games.Teyo Johnson was recently on the Broncos football team with friend and high school and college teammate Amon Gordon but the Broncos have released him in August 2007.
    He is the brother of former Cincinnati Bengals and current CFL player Riall Johnson, who also attended Stanford.

• gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Bills Sign Teyo Johnson

That is great ****ing news. He is an athlete.

Comment

• buffalony85
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by gr8slayer
      He is an athlete.
      something royal and gaines are not!

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

He was a great prospect when he got of college, but he hasn't delivered at all. I'm not sure this is any great signing. He looks to have the physical part of the game down, so I'm not sure what has been holding him back. If they could find a way to motivate him into the game it'd be great, but at this point, I'd be skeptical that he'll even make the depth chart...

Comment

• Jaybird
          • Dec 2005

agreed, not sure he'll even make the team, same deal with barnes. However, u must like both the moves. Its not costing much, and were being aggressive.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

He will likely be camp fodder but just the fact that we're actually looking for an athlete at the position is enough to excite me.

Comment

• bigbub2352
              • Feb 2005

This could be a sneaky signing, he was young when we came out of school, and never played TE, so he is just coming into his prime at a postion on need, i will take him as a number 3 TE, this mite spell the end for Michael Gaines, but i like him as well, or we could be cutting Royal and sign Gaines but in any event, this is solid depth and i really like the move
              at 6ft 6 he can only help in our awful red zone
              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                He was a great prospect when he got of college, but he hasn't delivered at all. I'm not sure this is any great signing. He looks to have the physical part of the game down, so I'm not sure what has been holding him back. If they could find a way to motivate him into the game it'd be great, but at this point, I'd be skeptical that he'll even make the depth chart...
                Part of that is that he always seemed to get picked up with teams that tried to utilize the kid as more of a blocking TE. He's a converted WR and as it states in CB's blog, nobody ever split him out wide. Most likely nothing more then a role player but the potential is there if we use him right.

Using Johnson differently

Today
                Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:24 PM ET | Link

USING JOHNSON DIFFERENTLY: In talking to Teyo Johnson today, I asked him how many times did his former NFL teams use him split wide as a receiving threat. His response?
                "Never."
                Now there may be a reason for that I don't know, but I do know the guy was a productive receiver at Stanford before converting to tight end. I'd like to think the guy could do a few things in the pass game. Not saying he's the end all, be all as far as a pass catching tight end is concerned for the Bills, but trying him there would seem to be a good idea since no other NFL team has seemingly given it much thought.
                ---

Could Johnson be like the others?

Today
                Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:30 PM ET | Link

COULD JOHNSON BE LIKE THE OTHERS?: The Bills are hoping Teyo Johnson can be another free agent signee that joins the team without the pomp and circumstance of bigger names, but contributes nonetheless. Previous examples include Daimon Shelton, Peerless Price and Mike Gandy. All three filled roles though not heavily coveted by many teams. Another example was Jason Webster, but his season ended after the opener with his broken arm.
                In all likelihood the Bills will still look to address the tight end position further. There are now three on the roster under contract in Royal, Schouman and Johnson.
                ---

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

Wow a tall TE who has jets.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MBBedard
                    Wow a tall TE who has jets.
                    And can jump! No one will believe this now but I've wanted this guy since he was with the Raiders.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

I am sure he is an upgrade over Shouman.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                        I am sure he is an upgrade over Shouman.
                        How do we know? The guy never played, Shouman man be an upgrade over Royal and Gaines too.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

He's always been mis-used or under-used. I'd line him up at WR in camp and see what he can do.

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Here's his bio out of college in case anybody is interested. Stats from HS show this guy was an athletic freak...

Played quarterback, wide receiver and defensive end in HS ... As a senior, he threw for 1,068 yards and 11 TDs while also rushing 48 times for 411 yards and four touchdowns ... He also caught 24 passes for 368 yards and three TDs, and as a defensive end, registered 60 tackles, 14 sacks, eight deflections, four forced fumbles and two interceptions (one returned for a touchdown)

TEYO JOHNSON
                            Position: WR
                            Class: Underclassman
                            School: Stanford
                            Conference: Pac-10
                            Ht., Wt.: 6'5½, 247
                            40 Time: 4.73
                            Grade: 3.65

Selected by Oakland Raiders
                            Round 2, pick 31 (63 overall)
                            BIO: Sophomore entry and starter the past two seasons. Led the team in receiving last year with 41 receptions, 467 yards and eight TDs. Totaled 38-565-7 the prior year and named conference's Co-Freshman of the Year. Two-year letter winner for Stanford's basketball team, one of the nation's top programs.

POSITIVES: King sized pass catcher who may ultimately grow into a tight end. Fluid releasing off the line of scrimmage, shields away opponents with his frame and extends, displaying good eye-hand coordination as well as focus. Plays with balance, adjusts well and out muscles defenders for the difficult reception. Offers the QB a big target. Goes over the middle to make the reception and takes a pounding, yet holds onto the football.

NEGATIVES: Not quick or explosive and has more built up speed than suddenness in his game. Works his routes but lacks quickness into his breaks. Lacks timing and has trouble running full tilt and making the reception. Lazily lets the pass get inside him rather than snatching it away from his frame.

ANALYSIS: A physical specimen but far from being a complete football player and made a mistake leaving college early. Needs to improve all aspects of his game as he may not have a defined pro position.

PROJECTION: Mid Third Round

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                              This could be a sneaky signing, he was young when we came out of school, and never played TE, so he is just coming into his prime at a postion on need, i will take him as a number 3 TE, this mite spell the end for Michael Gaines, but i like him as well, or we could be cutting Royal and sign Gaines but in any event, this is solid depth and i really like the move
                              at 6ft 6 he can only help in our awful red zone
                              We don't have to cut Royal. He's a free agent come February along with Gaines, Schouman, Neufeld and Murphy.

I hope we bring back Gaines and Schouman. Teyo looks like his strength is to catch and not block. So I suppose that if he can play STs, he might be a good addition and can be used strictly in the red zone...

Comment

Working...
                              X