PDA

View Full Version : Bigger priority: TE or WR?

Oaf
01-30-2008, 12:58 AM
I think most of us agree that TE and WR are the two biggest needs we have on the O-Side of the ball. That being said, I myself have flip flopped constantly about which we need more/first. Until I came to the following conclusion

This is why we need to prioritize a big possession threat at WR over a receiving TE.

Simply put, adding that YAC threat at WR will make Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed SIGNIFICANTLY more effective and dangerous as #3 and #4 threats. Each of those two players have found a niche in this offense. But after Price went down, they were forced to leave their roles and play a much expanded game, one that they were often ineffective at, even facing single coverage.
Does anyone remember Josh Reed's rookie year?
Then does anyone remember Josh Reed's 2nd year after Price left the first time? This guy was born to play outside of the spotlight. This guy will be even more dangerous on 3rd downs than he was this year when you have nickle backs and LBs covering him.

And over this last year, I think it's clear that Parrish is not an effective every-down WR and is much better as a situational weapon, a extremely dangerous one at that.

I honestly believe that Reed and Parrish would be the among the top #3 and #4 WRs in the league, if there is such a thing, if we got a Roy Williams/Owens/Houshmenszadeh TYPE of WR to start alongside Evans.

Because getting a bonafide FA or high draft pick at WR would not only address a monstrous area of need, but also make our support weapons considerably better, I think it takes priority over a receiving threat at TE. And since a big WR is generally an effective run blocker as well, he'd make just as much as an impact in the ground game as a receiving TE with marginally developed inline blocking ability.

Take your pick:
1. Evans-Reed-Rucker-Parrish/Teyo
2. Evans-Williams/Sweed/Wilford-Reed-Parrish/Royal/Teyo

I think the choice is clear. Comments would be appreciated.
:gobills:

Jan Reimers
01-30-2008, 04:26 AM
I think a big, rangy 2nd WR does more for us than a pass receiving TE. He will make Evans more effective by eliminating double teams, give us another downfield threat, and provide another weapon in the red zone.

A good TE can help in these areas too, but generally, the two top WRs in most NFL offenses seem to be more important than the TE.

Night Train
01-30-2008, 04:32 AM
They're actually both a priority, IMO. Be patient. We'll sign/draft candidates for both positions.

I believe the Bills have a better shot in March Free Agency of finding a vet WR. TE could be easily filled on Draft weekend. Plus I do see several good candidates for a hands type #2 WR which could be found in Round 2-4 of the draft, if no vet WR is identified early in FA.

I'll relax until I go down to Fisher camp in early August and see the product. Plenty of time to tweek the roster and we'll have lots of new faces at many positions.

Oaf
01-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Lol, I guess it wasn't as much of an issue as I thought. Just wanted to address it. We absolutely need a number #1 or #2 before we do anything else on O.

Yasgur's Farm
01-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Fortunately for the Bills, this draft is very deep at both positions.

IMO we will draft 1 of the following WR's...

Malcolm Kelly
Desean Jackson
Limas Sweed
James Hardy
Adarius Bowman
Paul Hubbard

Also IMO we will draft 1 of the following TE's...

Fred Davis
Martertellus Bennett
Martin Rucker
John Carlson
Brad Cottam
Jermichael Finley
Kellen Davis
Dustin Keller

Confused
01-30-2008, 06:50 AM

Malcolm Kelly
Desean Jackson
Limas Sweed
James Hardy
Adarius Bowman
Paul Hubbard

Also IMO we will draft 1 of the following TE's...

Fred Davis
Martertellus Bennett
Martin Rucker
John Carlson
Brad Cottam
Jermichael Finley
Kellen Davis
Dustin Keller

you sir, have a profound grasp of the obvious.

Confused
01-30-2008, 06:53 AM
I want us to trade for Roy Williams. He will make the biggest impact the fastest. A proven performer. And a steal for a 2nd rd pick. I honestly dont know what we are waiting for.

Jan Reimers
01-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Draz was just illustrating his point that there are plenty of good WRs and TEs in this draft, and that with 4 picks in the top 78, we should be able get a couple of them.

mysticsoto
01-30-2008, 07:22 AM
A 2nd WR is definitely more important than a TE. By leaps and miles!!! That being said, we should be able to obtain both through FA and the draft. I hope we grab a 2nd WR in FA AND the draft also!!!

mayotm
01-30-2008, 07:27 AM

Malcolm Kelly
Desean Jackson
Limas Sweed
James Hardy
Adarius Bowman
Paul Hubbard

I really hope it's not Jackson. The last thing they need is another small, speed guy.

User Manuel
01-30-2008, 07:32 AM
I think a recieving TE is a luxury whereas a legitimate #2 is a necessity.

The only time I would say this isn't true is when a Winslow/Shockey type is available.

streetkings01
01-30-2008, 07:53 AM
I would take a pass catching TE over a #2 WR just because of who our QB is. Edwards likes to get the ball the TE's and if Royal and Gaines had some speed those catches they made could've went for some huge gains! A #2 WR is a need for us, but a threat at the TE position is something we need alot more. A athletic pass catching TE could cause more problems for a defense than a #2 WR because who's gonna cover him? A LB will be a mismatch and he'll be too big for a safety to cover him. Look at Gates and Gonzalez....both of those guys went years without even a true #1 and those offenses were still very productive.

madness
01-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Legit #1.5 WR please.

bigbub2352
01-30-2008, 08:57 AM
I am really intrigued by signing Bryant Johnson, or Wilrford, draftin Sweed in the 2nd and Bennett and Owen Smitt in the 3rd, and draft Rivers OLB or Ellis DT, in the first
i think we come out of the offseason like that
We improve trmendously

Philagape
01-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Unless the TE is Clark, a WR has a greater chance of making an immediate impact, especially in drawing defenses off the line.
But both would be best.

colin
01-30-2008, 09:04 AM
I want us to trade for Roy Williams. He will make the biggest impact the fastest. A proven performer. And a steal for a 2nd rd pick. I honestly dont know what we are waiting for.

+1

i kick ass wr will open up everything.

te's are just not as important as a WR. a WR can force the D to do what you want them to, and a TE can then be exploited against bad match ups and opening up ur running game.

WRs make qbs.

Philagape
01-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Look at Gates and Gonzalez....both of those guys went years without even a true #1 and those offenses were still very productive.

That's because they were Gates and Gonzalez. Not too many of them out there.

raphael120
01-30-2008, 10:02 AM
WR is most important, but this draft is so deep at these positions that we shouldnt have any trouble getting a good player at each of these positions. Only thing is, our scouts better know who to get or we could be screwed either way.

mybills
01-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Legit #1.5 WR please.
lol
what he said.

yordad
01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I think they are both important, but we don't really have to decide which is more. We will let the draft decide for us. I believe WRs will go before TEs, so that puts them higher.

Yasgur's Farm
01-30-2008, 11:17 AM
I really hope it's not Jackson. The last thing they need is another small, speed guy.I included Desean Jackson in the event we land Bryant Johnson or Ernest Wilford in free agency.

streetkings01
01-30-2008, 11:39 AM
That's because they were Gates and Gonzalez. Not too many of them out there.Look at Atlanta with Crumpler when Vick was there! A #2 WR is not as important as a #1 TE IMO! A #1 TE can also take the place of a #2 WR if he's good enough, but we still do need both.

Saratoga Slim
01-30-2008, 01:39 PM

When it comes to draft picks, nothing is ever obvious.

Oaf
01-30-2008, 01:44 PM
I am really intrigued by signing Bryant Johnson, or Wilrford, draftin Sweed in the 2nd and Bennett and Owen Smitt in the 3rd, and draft Rivers OLB or Ellis DT, in the first
i think we come out of the offseason like that
We improve trmendously
Lets pray Sweed falls out of the first. If he did, I'd have no qualms pulling a Poz like trade to ensure that we got him. That will leave our first to either grab Ellis or Rivers. :drool: And a TE in the 3rd would absolutely seal that deal.