• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Bigger priority: TE or WR?

I think most of us agree that TE and WR are the two biggest needs we have on the O-Side of the ball. That being said, I myself have flip flopped constantly about which we need more/first. Until I came to the following conclusion

This is why we need to prioritize a big possession threat at WR over a receiving TE.

Simply put, adding that YAC threat at WR will make Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed SIGNIFICANTLY more effective and dangerous as #3 and #4 threats. Each of those two players have found a niche in this offense. But after Price went down, they were forced to leave their roles and play a much expanded game, one that they were often ineffective at, even facing single coverage.
    Does anyone remember Josh Reed's rookie year?
    Then does anyone remember Josh Reed's 2nd year after Price left the first time? This guy was born to play outside of the spotlight. This guy will be even more dangerous on 3rd downs than he was this year when you have nickle backs and LBs covering him.

And over this last year, I think it's clear that Parrish is not an effective every-down WR and is much better as a situational weapon, a extremely dangerous one at that.

I honestly believe that Reed and Parrish would be the among the top #3 and #4 WRs in the league, if there is such a thing, if we got a Roy Williams/Owens/Houshmenszadeh TYPE of WR to start alongside Evans.

Because getting a bonafide FA or high draft pick at WR would not only address a monstrous area of need, but also make our support weapons considerably better, I think it takes priority over a receiving threat at TE. And since a big WR is generally an effective run blocker as well, he'd make just as much as an impact in the ground game as a receiving TE with marginally developed inline blocking ability.

Take your pick:
    1. Evans-Reed-Rucker-Parrish/Teyo
    2. Evans-Williams/Sweed/Wilford-Reed-Parrish/Royal/Teyo

I think the choice is clear. Comments would be appreciated.

• Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Bigger priority: TE or WR?

I think a big, rangy 2nd WR does more for us than a pass receiving TE. He will make Evans more effective by eliminating double teams, give us another downfield threat, and provide another weapon in the red zone.

A good TE can help in these areas too, but generally, the two top WRs in most NFL offenses seem to be more important than the TE.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

They're actually both a priority, IMO. Be patient. We'll sign/draft candidates for both positions.

I believe the Bills have a better shot in March Free Agency of finding a vet WR. TE could be easily filled on Draft weekend. Plus I do see several good candidates for a hands type #2 WR which could be found in Round 2-4 of the draft, if no vet WR is identified early in FA.

I'll relax until I go down to Fisher camp in early August and see the product. Plenty of time to tweek the roster and we'll have lots of new faces at many positions.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Oaf
        Do you read what you write?
        • Jun 2007

Lol, I guess it wasn't as much of an issue as I thought. Just wanted to address it. We absolutely need a number #1 or #2 before we do anything else on O.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

Fortunately for the Bills, this draft is very deep at both positions.

IMO we will draft 1 of the following WR's...

Malcolm Kelly
          Desean Jackson
          Limas Sweed
          James Hardy
          Adarius Bowman
          Paul Hubbard

Also IMO we will draft 1 of the following TE's...

Fred Davis
          Martertellus Bennett
          Martin Rucker
          John Carlson
          Brad Cottam
          Jermichael Finley
          Kellen Davis
          Dustin Keller

Comment

• Confused
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by draz54

Malcolm Kelly
            Desean Jackson
            Limas Sweed
            James Hardy
            Adarius Bowman
            Paul Hubbard

Also IMO we will draft 1 of the following TE's...

Fred Davis
            Martertellus Bennett
            Martin Rucker
            John Carlson
            Brad Cottam
            Jermichael Finley
            Kellen Davis
            Dustin Keller
            you sir, have a profound grasp of the obvious.

Comment

• Confused
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Jun 2007

I want us to trade for Roy Williams. He will make the biggest impact the fastest. A proven performer. And a steal for a 2nd rd pick. I honestly dont know what we are waiting for.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Originally posted by hoofhearted
                you sir, have a profound grasp of the obvious.
                Draz was just illustrating his point that there are plenty of good WRs and TEs in this draft, and that with 4 picks in the top 78, we should be able get a couple of them.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

A 2nd WR is definitely more important than a TE. By leaps and miles!!! That being said, we should be able to obtain both through FA and the draft. I hope we grab a 2nd WR in FA AND the draft also!!!

Comment

• mayotm
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by draz54

Malcolm Kelly
                    Desean Jackson
                    Limas Sweed
                    James Hardy
                    Adarius Bowman
                    Paul Hubbard
                    I really hope it's not Jackson. The last thing they need is another small, speed guy.

Comment

• User Manuel
                      The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                      • Nov 2003

I think a recieving TE is a luxury whereas a legitimate #2 is a necessity.

The only time I would say this isn't true is when a Winslow/Shockey type is available.

Comment

• streetkings01
                        • Jul 2006

I would take a pass catching TE over a #2 WR just because of who our QB is. Edwards likes to get the ball the TE's and if Royal and Gaines had some speed those catches they made could've went for some huge gains! A #2 WR is a need for us, but a threat at the TE position is something we need alot more. A athletic pass catching TE could cause more problems for a defense than a #2 WR because who's gonna cover him? A LB will be a mismatch and he'll be too big for a safety to cover him. Look at Gates and Gonzalez....both of those guys went years without even a true #1 and those offenses were still very productive.
                        You can call me streetkings

Comment

• madness
                          • Apr 2003

Legit #1.5 WR please.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                            • Feb 2005

I am really intrigued by signing Bryant Johnson, or Wilrford, draftin Sweed in the 2nd and Bennett and Owen Smitt in the 3rd, and draft Rivers OLB or Ellis DT, in the first
                            i think we come out of the offseason like that
                            We improve trmendously
                            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Unless the TE is Clark, a WR has a greater chance of making an immediate impact, especially in drawing defenses off the line.
                              But both would be best.
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X