PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Knight visits the Dolphins. I don't like hearing that.

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-07-2003, 01:30 AM
I can't believe this guy is still on the market. Dolphins could probably get a fair price for him. I wish we had him.

Dolphins | Knight Visits - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
21:10 PT: Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Miami Dolphins entertained free agent S Sammy Knight (Saints) on Sunday. The team is looking for a possible replacement for free agent S Arturo Freeman who is expected to sign on with another team.

RedEyE
04-07-2003, 03:08 AM
He is also to visit the Steelers on the 9th. I think that the Steelers are in a better position to grab him. Besides, he is the only S left in FA that is worth looking at. He could only benefit from shopping himself.

The_Philster
04-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Bracing for strong safety Arturo Freeman's signing another team's offer sheet, the Dolphins will entertain New Orleans safety Sammy Knight today on a free-agent visit.

Freeman has drawn interest from Washington and New Orleans and hopes to schedule free-agent visits with both this week, agent Drew Rosenhaus said Sunday. Because he is a restricted free agent, the Dolphins have the right to match the terms of any offer sheet Freeman signs. If they don't choose to match, the Dolphins would receive a fifth-round draft pick from Freeman's new team....more (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphins07apr07,0,4462213.story?coll=sfla%2Dsports%2Dfront)

Tatonka
04-07-2003, 10:35 AM
there has to be something to the fact that all these teams are showing no interest at all in knight...

and something to the fact that the knight led secondary sucked at defending the pass for the saints...

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-07-2003, 11:55 AM
There was more then just Sammy Knight on the field in New Orleans. You can't put all the blame on him for others mistakes.

BillsNYC
04-07-2003, 12:02 PM
i just went to go see what finheaven thought about it and i they have me banned! i never swore and did nothing but take a pro-buffalo and anti miami stance....amazing...

dolfan25
04-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

and something to the fact that the knight led secondary sucked at defending the pass for the saints...

Could the same be said for a Takeo lead defense against the run. Probably not.

More likely teams had to pass to keep up with a potent Saints offense early in the season and the fact that teams had leads on the Bengals so they ran it to kill the clock.

venis2k1
04-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

Our run D sucked last year, nobody is saying Big Pat sucks.

WCoastFin
04-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Sammy Knight will be a dolphin only if A.Freeman goes....I hope they dont let Freeman go, Hes awsome.....& in the long run he will be better than Knight.

Doc
04-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Reports are that the Saints will make the offer to Freeman, and if the Dols sign Knight, both teams are basically saying the other player is better when in fact they're both probably the same.

4thAndLong
04-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
Sammy Knight will be a dolphin only if A.Freeman goes....I hope they dont let Freeman go, Hes awsome.....& in the long run he will be better than Knight.

Knight is awesome...I would hate the Dolphins to get him.

Arturo Freeman, better than Knight? :lol:

WCoastFin
04-07-2003, 07:07 PM
yes, Freeman didnt play all that good last year becuz he was asked to play a diffrent position, but now he's back...just wait and see.

hintexas
04-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Knight is not the only FA Safety left Kwamie Lassiter is visiting Pittsburgnh this week and I wish the Bills would see if he would like to join the team. I know he is asking for alot of money but another Arizona player was asking for alot of money too.

Tatonka
04-07-2003, 08:44 PM
i didnt mean to imply that i disliked knight.. his play making ability is clearly proven.. i am just trying to figure out why the hell no body has signed him yet.. i dont get it.

BTP
05-07-2003, 01:36 PM
here is the scoop from Miami(lastest update)

Posted on Wed, May. 07, 2003

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK
Dolphins make offer to safety Knight
Packers also seek former All-Pro
BY JASON COLE
jcole@herald.com

Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said the team has made a final contract offer to free agent safety Sammy Knight in hopes of upgrading the secondary with the former Pro Bowl player.

The offer appears to be in response to one Knight received from Green Bay.

Knight was supposed to visit the Packers in the past few days, but he has delayed the trip because of the birth of his daughter Samone last Wednesday.

Knight opted out of a contract that would have paid him about $1.5 million this season.

The Dolphins want to sign him to a deal worth closer to the league minimum ($530,000) this season.

''Obviously, we're talking about a football player who was a starter last year who opted out of a big contract,'' Wannstedt said. ``We would like to have him on this team, but we have to do something we can afford.

``Right now, we're not there on either end.''

sounds to me the phins low balled him...

ESPN Insider:

The Miami Dolphins have made an offer to free-agent safety Sammy Knight, but it's not close to the kind of money he'd like to receive. The Dolphins want to sign him to a deal worth closer to the league minimum ($530,000), but Knight just opted out of a contract in New Orleans that would have paid him about $1.9 million this season.

"Obviously, we're talking about a football player who was a starter last year who opted out of a big contract," Wannstedt told the Miami Herald. "We would like to have him on this team, but we have to do something we can afford. Right now, we're not there on either end."

The Dolphins have strong interest in Knight to compete for playing time at free safety or strong safety against Brock Marion and Arturo Freeman. The Green Bay Packers are interested in Knight as well, though they aren't believed to have offered much more than Miami. But if Knight is forced to sign a below-market deal, he'll want to do it for a team that will give him a chance to start.

In Green Bay, he would likely have the starting job handed to him. He would start in place of strong safety Marques Anderson, whose play regressed in the last two months of last season.

Anderson's backup is Antuan Edwards, and while he is talented, his injury history makes him a question mark. Plus, Anderson is currently sidelined with a pulled hamstring, and while there is a chance that he could be ready for the June minicamp, there's no guarantee. Add to that the fact the Packers didn't draft a safety, and you have a perfect situation for Knight.

Gary Uberstine, Knight's agent, didn't discuss his client's contract talks in detail, but he did say that his client is going to be patient.

"He wants to get to the right team in the right situation, so he's not going to panic and rush through this, and at this point, with similar contract offers, it looks like the right team is Green Bay. " Ubestine told the Herald

BTP
05-08-2003, 03:40 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_10175454.shtml

Ð
05-08-2003, 03:52 PM
As long as it's not Bobby Knight

Chair, anyone? :D

shulafan
05-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Knight is not (or would not be) that big of an upgrade over Freeman, they are both kind of slow. So Knight is a bigger hitter but again slow. I think its not such a big deal to acquire Knight; he's not going to get to the ball (carrier) any quicker and that IS the object!