PDA

View Full Version : If we are going to move around in the 1st RD this could be it

jpdex12
01-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Based on the FA moves in my other thread we make a few bold moves on day one to give us what this team needs. It's not the perfect possibility but it would certainly be what this team needs.
Provided these players are available at the time...

We use #11 pick on Rivers OLB (The type of player we need to go with Poz and Crow)

We trade our #2, #3A and our #5A pick for the 24th pick or in that vacinity based on point value.

We use our 1B pick (#24) on Limas Sweed (Sweed is as good as Kelly but bigger) good hands, goes high after the ball, uses his body well, & runs routes well

Round 3-Terrell Thomas CB (good cover 2 CB)

Round 4-Dre Moore DT (solid penetrating DT to round our rotation out)

Round 5B-Brad Cottam (6'7" very good hands, quicker than he looks, nice redzone target & good blocker) Injury history

Rd 6A, 6B and 7 on an OL, DE and RB

See my FA acquisitions in 2008 thread before you nix any of these picks. With a scenario like this we get very good players and we fill all positions of need.

VeggieMan14
01-31-2008, 08:51 PM
We trade our #2, #3A and our #5A pick for the 24th pick or in that vacinity based on point value.

need.
Would it really take that much to get another first rounder?

jpdex12
01-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Points wise it would..like 730-740 points.

VeggieMan14
01-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Points wise it would..like 730-740 points. I would forget that then. Hows about trade our first for a mid twenties and there second. that gives us a second rounder to trade. *cough cough* Roy Williams *cough cough* and puts us IMO in a better drafting position for our needs

DraftBoy
02-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Why are we trading up to get Sweed when he may be there at our 2nd or maybe even 3rd Rd pick? His wrist is not 100% and until he proves that it is, Id be very weary of taking him.

bigbub2352
02-01-2008, 08:33 AM
what about a trade back in for Hardy from INdiana at like say 25, i think we will be an outstanding redzone WR, and is exactly what we need to open up the feild

DraftBoy
02-01-2008, 08:36 AM
what about a trade back in for Hardy from INdiana at like say 25, i think we will be an outstanding redzone WR, and is exactly what we need to open up the feild

He needs to show more consistency to warrant a 1st Round selection. I think LTBF said it best when he broke him down his consistency is just not there.

X-Era
02-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Based on the FA moves in my other thread we make a few bold moves on day one to give us what this team needs. It's not the perfect possibility but it would certainly be what this team needs.
Provided these players are available at the time...

We use #11 pick on Rivers OLB (The type of player we need to go with Poz and Crow)

We use our 1B pick (#24) on Limas Sweed (Sweed is as good as Kelly but bigger) good hands, goes high after the ball, uses his body well, & runs routes well

Round 3-Terrell Thomas CB (good cover 2 CB)

Round 4-Dre Moore DT (solid penetrating DT to round our rotation out)

Round 5B-Brad Cottam (6'7" very good hands, quicker than he looks, nice redzone target & good blocker) Injury history

Rd 6A, 6B and 7 on an OL, DE and RB

See my FA acquisitions in 2008 thread before you nix any of these picks. With a scenario like this we get very good players and we fill all positions of need.

Sweed is NOT as good as Kelly IMO. Kelly makes spectacular catches that Sweed just never made.

kernowboy
02-01-2008, 10:46 AM
There is so much depth in this draft, that moving up is going in the wrong direction.

None of the draftees stood out at the Senior Bowl - I might be more interested in looking at TEDDY LEHMAN or CALEB MILLER in FA

WR is deep and we could easily grab someone like Hardy or Adarius Bowman in R2.

In fact, I'd consider dropping into the 20s to pick up some interior help in the shape of Kentwan Balmer or Pat Sims as Triplett as been a bust, Williams is too lightweight and we need to have some mass in the middle.

In fact I'd been inclined to go R2 as well with a DT to give us a 3-tackle rotation - WalterFootball have Dre Moore in R2.

With our second pick from the trade down we could get Adarius Bowman WR

and in R3 snap up John Carlson TE and Justin King CB with Mike Pollak at R4

the remaining 4 picks we can look at a DE, an OT, a FB and a QB

jpdex12
02-01-2008, 07:45 PM
There is so much depth in this draft, that moving up is going in the wrong direction.

None of the draftees stood out at the Senior Bowl - I might be more interested in looking at TEDDY LEHMAN or CALEB MILLER in FA

WR is deep and we could easily grab someone like Hardy or Adarius Bowman in R2.

In fact, I'd consider dropping into the 20s to pick up some interior help in the shape of Kentwan Balmer or Pat Sims as Triplett as been a bust, Williams is too lightweight and we need to have some mass in the middle.

In fact I'd been inclined to go R2 as well with a DT to give us a 3-tackle rotation - WalterFootball have Dre Moore in R2.

With our second pick from the trade down we could get Adarius Bowman WR

and in R3 snap up John Carlson TE and Justin King CB with Mike Pollak at R4

the remaining 4 picks we can look at a DE, an OT, a FB and a QBThere may be a lot of depth IN CERTAIN POSITIONS, but do you want the best pick or do you want a mediocre gap filler?

You think that none of these draftees stood out in the Senior Bowl? Not many big names played in the Senior Bowl! Did you watch it? Their agents advised them not to because a bad showing causes everybody to quiver and start drpping your stock. It's rediculous! How about looking at career stats and game tape rather than one game after a 3 month layoff?

Hardy is inconsistent and Bowman couldn't catch a cold in front of scouts if you want to point out Senior Bowl performances. He was a complete disappointment at the Bowl. It's one thing if you havev a bad day in the game but he sucked all week according to McShay and he is a pretty good evaluator.

Balmer won't last until the 20's and Sims is a late, late 1st rounder if not second.

Why has the trend lately been for some teams to jump back into the 1st round if they have the picks to trade? To get better players that they think won't last until round 2! Sweed is big, muscular and can catch as well as Kelly. Rivers is a stud LB. He is similar to Willis last year. Let's not pass on him!

jpdex12
02-01-2008, 07:46 PM
I would forget that then. Hows about trade our first for a mid twenties and there second. that gives us a second rounder to trade. *cough cough* Roy Williams *cough cough* and puts us IMO in a better drafting position for our needs

Why do you think that Detroit wants to get rid off Williams? Especially for a second rounder when they drafted him in the top ten of the 1st round and he has been playing like a 1st rounder?

jpdex12
02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Why are we trading up to get Sweed when he may be there at our 2nd or maybe even 3rd Rd pick? His wrist is not 100% and until he proves that it is, Id be very weary of taking him.

Because he MAY NOT be there in the second. McGahee tore up his knee big time and he was still drafted in the first. The wrist injury isn't serious he just rushed it and came back too soon. He is a first round talent and he would be a tremendous WR for us in the NFL. Go ahead and wait on him and another team will get him before the end of the 1st is over.

DraftBoy
02-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Because he MAY NOT be there in the second. McGahee tore up his knee big time and he was still drafted in the first. The wrist injury isn't serious he just rushed it and came back too soon. He is a first round talent and he would be a tremendous WR for us in the NFL. Go ahead and wait on him and another team will get him before the end of the 1st is over.

At this point he is rated as a 2nd-3rd round projection because his wrist is still hurt. And you are talking like Sweed is the end all be all of WR's in this class when in truth there about between 12-15 WR while some not as good as Sweed have similar body types with a shorter list of injury problems that could be a much more attractive option later in the draft.

ParanoidAndroid
02-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Some might not agree that Sweed is a good route runner. The truth is that there isn't a single WR in this draft that stands out. There are a lot of talented WR's but none look like the sure thing Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald did. WR looks like a tough position to draft this year. I'd wait until after the combine, all the interviews and individual try outs to see what the real scouts come up with on this one. I like Bowman, Sweed, Kelly, Hardy, Doucet, and Jackson, but I just can't see why I would want any one of them more than the others at this point.

Now, LB? There are 2 at #11 that I would consider and they both look like the real deal. Rivers or Connor would be great.

DT? There's Dorsey and Ellis and then a major drop off.

DE? That's questionable. Long and Gholston should be gone. Hardy is a 3-4 OLB, Calais Campbell might be a reach. Similar situation to DT.

CB? The best CB in the draft could very well be a guy from AA since Jenkins is staying in school. No CB is worth #11.

S? Kenny Phillips is the real deal, but will we go safety in the 1st again? Maybe, maybe not. Safety is arguably the most vital position in cover-2 and Phillips could become one of the best in the league.

TE? 2nd or later

RB? No. Day 2 if any at all.

FB? Day 2

OL? Nothing there at #11

It looks to me like a LB or trade down, but we all know how often the Bills trade down. If anything, they will stay put at #11 and might use that extra 3rd to move up in the second like they did last year.

venis2k1
02-02-2008, 12:49 PM
1. Rivers
2. Best WR available (Hardy?)
3a. Martin Rucker
3b. Owen Schmitt

3 new starters and a TE with tons of upside, looks like a good first day to me.

ParanoidAndroid
02-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Find a DT instead of Schmitt and you have something pretty good there.

venis2k1
02-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Find a DT instead of Schmitt and you have something pretty good there.

Normally i would agree with you, But Schmitt is a rare case, i feel he has a chance to become a prerrenial probowler in this league at FB, thats hard to find in the 3rd round.

DraftBoy
02-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Normally i would agree with you, But Schmitt is a rare case, i feel he has a chance to become a prerrenial probowler in this league at FB, thats hard to find in the 3rd round.

What makes you say that about Schmitt, and keep it in the context of our system where we dont use the FB as a runner except for maybe 5-10 carries a year and is rarely if ever in on passing downs. Scmitt could be the next Mike Alstott but he doesnt fit our ground game. We need a Micheal Cox, besides a guy like Mike Peterson (NW Mizzou St) or Carl Stewart (Auburn) do the same things as Schmitt but are a little more raw and could be in the 7th or as UDFA.