PDA

View Full Version : Roger Godell to go in front of senate

Owen DeBoard
02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I dont know if this has been posted yet but Roger Godell has to go in front of the senate to explain why the nfl destroyed evidence about spygate. Good thing this is being checked into since Godell just gave Bill Belicheck and the Patriots a slap on the wrist.

Mr. Miyagi
02-01-2008, 10:28 AM
I can't wait to see this. I want to know why too.

Mr. Miyagi
02-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Where did you see this though? Link?

Jan Reimers
02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
To me, this is simply another case of the misuse of government power.

What the Patriots did violated NFL rules, but did not rise to the level of a federal offense. Nor does this have anything to do with the NFL's exemption from federal anti-trust laws.

Congress would be better served by making the Bush tax cuts permanent, and providing support to our troops in Iran and Afganistan.

Owen DeBoard
02-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Where did you see this though? Link?
I dont know how to do links but go to espn news and it says it under nfl.

Jan Reimers
02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
I can't wait to see this. I want to know why too.
Basically, Senator Arlen Specter wants to know why Goodell had the Pats' spygate tapes and other evidence destroyed after assessing the NFL's penalties on them.

Owen DeBoard
02-01-2008, 10:35 AM

What the Patriots did violated NFL rules, but did not rise to the level of a federal offense. Nor does this have anything to do with the NFL's exemption from federal anti-trust laws.

Congress would be better served by making the Bush tax cuts permanent, and providing support to our troops in Iran and Afganistan.
Yeah well if they get into the steriods in baseball I think they should get involved with spygate since they both are cheating.

M
02-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Here's one link ...

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080201_NFL___Goodell_will_be_questioned_in_spying_case.html

Bill Brasky
02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah well if they get into the steriods in baseball I think they should get involved with spygate since they both are cheating.

yeah but situations like this show why our country is going down the tubes... congress would rather waste time investigating video tape alligations instead of dealing with real issues like an uncoordinated 'war effort' or spiraling energy costs.

Jan Reimers
02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Not nearly the same. Steroid use is much more widely spread, illegal in society at large, and constitutes a real danger to those who take them, including impressionable young athletes.

Spygate is Belichick being an arrogant *****, for which he was quickly punished by Goodell.

Owen DeBoard
02-01-2008, 10:46 AM
yeah but situations like this show why our country is going down the tubes... congress would rather waste time investigating video tape alligations instead of dealing with real issues like an uncoordinated 'war effort' or spiraling energy costs.
Yeah I agree with you but instead of hearing about Roger Clemens where there is no proof that he did steroids and that was all the media wanted to talk about, they can turn to spygate which there is proof that they cheated and the nfl tried to cover it up.

Jan Reimers
02-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Exactly. You would think that the economy, the war, the energy situation, health care and several other key issues just might take priority over an internal NFL matter.

Owen DeBoard
02-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Exactly. You would think that the economy, the war, the energy situation, health care and several other key issues just might take priority over an internal NFL matter.
Why would they when you have a president and vice president in office that are making major $. I didnt vote for Bush the first term and sure as hell didnt vote for him the second term. We have nobody but our selves to blame for the shape the economy is in because we let him get elected again. Im getting way off the topic now.

Jan Reimers
02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah I agree with you but instead of hearing about Roger Clemens where there is no proof that he did steroids and that was all the media wanted to talk about, they can turn to spygate which there is proof that they cheated and the nfl tried to cover it up.
I agree with you on Clemens. That moron Mitchell never should have released names in his public report, particularly when there were only allegations and no hard facts (like a failed drug test.)

I don't agree, though, that the NFL tried to cover up spygate. Belichick and the Pats were punished swiftly and publicly.

Regardless, it's still an NFL matter, not a societal matter like steroids.

Jan Reimers
02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Why would they when you have a president and vice president in office that are making major $. I didnt vote for Bush the first term and sure as hell didnt vote for him the second term. We have nobody but our selves to blame for the shape the economy is in because we let him get elected again. Im getting way off the topic now.
Yes you are. And you're talking to a staunch, conservative Republican. But I respect your viewpoint and your right to vote - even for a Democrat.

Owen DeBoard
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with you on Clemens. That moron Mitchell never should have released names in his public report, particularly when there were only allegations and no hard facts (like a failed drug test.)

I don't agree, though, that the NFL tried to cover up spygate. Belichick and the Pats were punished swiftly and publicly.

Regardless, it's still an NFL matter, not a societal matter like steroids.
Im sorry but I do think that the nfl tried to cover it up. If the Pats were punished swiftly they would have to had forfitted that game. If you get caught cheating on a test do you still get the grade? Nope you get an incomplete. The nfl is all about making money with their posterboy Tom Brady and the Pats. You will never be able to convince me otherwise.

Oldbillsfan
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
As a non pats fan I found it odd the NFL destroyed the evidence. Who is to say all the evidence was turned over by the Pats, or that the Pats didn't continue to utilize their video taping procedure this entire season? The video taping put the integrity of the league in question. Before this only blatently one sided officiating did that. Like the Steeler-Seahawk S.B.

Coach Sal
02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
...Godell just gave Bill Belicheck and the Patriots a slap on the wrist.

He did not give them a slap on the wrist.

BB was personally fined $500,000, which is 12% of his annual salary, the maximum amount allowed, and the largest fine ever imposed on a coach in the NFL's 87-year history.

The Pats organization was fined an additional $250,000.

They had to forfeit their first-round draft choice. The first time in NFL history a first-round draft pick has been taken away from a team as punishment.

They broke the rules, they got caught, and they (abd especially BB) paid a pretty good price for it.

Owen DeBoard
02-01-2008, 11:35 AM

BB was personally fined $500,000, which is 12% of his annual salary, the maximum amount allowed, and the largest fine ever imposed on a coach in the NFL's 87-year history.

They had to forfeit their first-round draft choice. The first time in NFL history a first-round draft pick has been taken away from a team as punishment.

They broke the rules, they got caught, and they (abd especially BB) paid a pretty good price for it.
Yeah losing that first round draft pick cost them dearly huh? Yeah its also a first time in history that a team got caught video taping another team therefore cheating. Come on man if you think that what they got was the right punishment I guess "cheaters never win" you can throw that old saying out the window.

Jan Reimers
02-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Look, I don't like what the Pats did, either. But they were punished rather severely - although some think it wasn't severe enough. Since it was an NFL matter, not a criminal proceeding, I can't see that the NFL did anything illegal in destroying the tapes.

Congress should butt out, and go back to their bigger job of screwing up the country.

Coach Sal
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah losing that first round draft pick cost them dearly huh? Yeah its also a first time in history that a team got caught video taping another team therefore cheating. Come on man if you think that what they got was the right punishment I guess "cheaters never win" you can throw that old saying out the window.

You are changing your argument now, or you mistated originally.

There is a difference between "the right punishment," and "slap on the wrist."

A slap on the wrist is saying they got off light COMPARED to past punishments (for various transgressions). They did not. They received the harshest punishment in the history of the league.

If you think they deserved even more than that, that is a separate issue.

And, yes, losing a first rounder is a big deal for any organization. Just because San Fran was stupid enough to trade them their (this year's) 1st rounder last year, and because NE is better at drafting and deveping than almost any other team doesn't mean the punishment is not severe.

And let's say they did have to forfeit the game. Do you really think they wouldn't be in the SB right now anyway? What more should he have done Banned them from the playoffs?

gr8slayer
02-01-2008, 11:47 AM

I agree, I actually think that they got hit for too much. There's not a team out there that doesn't "cheat" in one way or another.

Owen DeBoard
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
You are changing your argument now, or you mistated originally.

There is a difference between "the right punishment," and "slap on the wrist."

A slap on the wrist is saying they got off light COMPARED to past punishments (for various transgressions). They did not. They received the harshest punishment in the history of the league.

If you think they deserved even more than that, that is a separate issue.

And, yes, losing a first rounder is a big deal for any organization. Just because San Fran was stupid enough to trade them their (this year's) 1st rounder last year, and because NE is better at drafting and deveping than almost any other team doesn't mean the punishment is still severe.

And let's say they did have to forfeit the game. Do you really think they wouldn't be in the SB right now anyway? What more should he have done Banned them from the playoffs?
Wow im changing my arguement. Sorry bub im not. I said they got a slap on the wrist and that is exactly what they got. Now how could we ever know if that one game could change them being in the super bowl? Could it yes? How do you ask? Well lets see its obvious that the league wanted them to go 16-0. They got all the calls to help them do it. You cant tell me what my eyes dont already tell me. Get back on the subject at hand. Roger Godell is going in front of the senate to explain why the nfl destroyed evidence. Why would the nfl do that? They are pulling for the Pats why else would they destroy evidence? Facts are facts.

Oldbillsfan
02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree, I actually think that they got hit for too much. There's not a team out there that doesn't "cheat" in one way or another.

Agreed, but the use of electronics to cheat could really destroy the integrity game. What is next, tapping into the other teams radio frequency? I also think fining multi millionares for punishment is like suspending a kid for skipping school.

Coach Sal
02-01-2008, 12:30 PM
The league should definitely not have destroyed the tapes so suddenly and under the cloak of secrecy.

I actually think they did it because there was stuff in there in regards to some of their past three Super Bowls the Pats won. They may have been taping since all the way back then and kept the visual evidence for reference purposes.

If they did, and if the fans/media got wind of that, much less actually SAW it, then Goodell would have had the biggest **** storm he could ever imagine.

gr8slayer
02-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Agreed, but the use of electronics to cheat could really destroy the integrity game. What is next, tapping into the other teams radio frequency? I also think fining multi millionares for punishment is like suspending a kid for skipping school.
I don't disagree but I think it's been going on longer than anyone will ever admit.

gr8slayer
02-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Senator Arlen Specter wants NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to explain why the league destroyed tapes from the Patriots spygate scandal.
Specter, the ranking republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said that Goodell would eventually be called before the committee, and that it was possible coaches and players could also have to testify. One person who might face the committee would be Matt Walsh, a Patriots employee between 1996-2003 who worked in the video department. "If I ever got brought in for a deposition or something, then I would just face the whole gauntlet of questions. There would be things I’d be forced to answer that some people haven’t taken responsibility for," Walsh said.

Buffatexas
02-01-2008, 01:13 PM
I think that if it comes down to a full blown hearing and the Pats are found guilty, they should be banned from the postseason for a certain number of years, kind of like the ncaa does. Fines wont cut it, and with the smart drafting they do, losing draft picks wont really hurt (unless you are talking about all 1st day picks only).

gr8slayer
02-01-2008, 01:21 PM
No, they've already been penalized enough. Quit with the blind hatred bull****.

MikeInRoch
02-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Having Congress look into this is completely and utterly ridiculous. This is NOT what these people were elected to do.

Ickybaluky
02-01-2008, 01:53 PM

This isn't true. The Miami Dolphins had to forfeit a 1st round pick when they were found to have tampered in signing Don Shula away from the Colts.

As for the call for the commissioner to testify before congress, it has it's root in the battle between Comcast and the NFL over NFL Network, and the resulting court cases. Specter has really close ties to Comcast, and this dog-and-pony show and timing are rooted in that relationship.

Personally, I'm all for bringing him before congress to testify. Bring in the Patriots to talk about what went on, and other teams around the league about the practice as well. So much has been made out of this it has taken on a life of it's own. I think Goodell should have had a press conference like the one today right away. It would have cleared up a lot of the misconceptions people have.

yordad
02-01-2008, 02:43 PM
QUESTION: Would you rather they were given a loss for the Jets game, or lose a first round draft pick? The loss would have been rather insignificant. And, the asterisk will be weighed in the court of public opinion the same either way.

Ickybaluky
02-01-2008, 02:51 PM
QUESTION: Would you rather they were given a loss for the Jets game, or lose a first round draft pick? The loss would have been rather insignificant. And, the asterisk will be weighed in the court of public opinion the same either way.

I never thought getting a loss for the Jets game made any sense. They crushed the Jets, and didn't need any camera to do it. I think the penalty was pretty severe, and I'm ready to move on.

As for the court of public opinion, I could give a crap about it. Either way, they are a very hated team.

I think the most interesting thing to come out of Goodell's press conference today was that there were only 6 tapes and some notes destroyed, and that everything was from 2006 and 2007.

bflojohn
02-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Connect the dots here people.... the smoking gun theory is alive and well in this instance! Something has leaked and the powers that be are now taking the next step. The Eagles players, earlier, said that the Patriots "sat down" on EVERY screen run in the second half of their Super Bowl. I think that the concept of a level playing field has been distorted here, possibly, and that has lead Congress to act. If it has somehow been determined that the NFL's Front Office in New York is covering up a scandal of near epic porportions, then it is the duty of our government to investigate this sordid affair. I, personally, welcome any attempt by the Feds to get to the bottom of this for the sanctity of sports in this country. If this is what I think it is, Congress MUST ACT!

yordad
02-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I guess it is a matter of "what you don't know, doesn't hurt". But, I personally would rather know. I can handle the truth.

Ickybaluky
02-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Connect the dots here people.... the smoking gun theory is alive and well in this instance! Something has leaked and the powers that be are now taking the next step. The Eagles players, earlier, said that the Patriots "sat down" on EVERY screen run in the second half of their Super Bowl. I think that the concept of a level playing field has been distorted here, possibly, and that has lead Congress to act. If it has somehow been determined that the NFL's Front Office in New York is covering up a scandal of near epic porportions, then it is the duty of our government to investigate this sordid affair. I, personally, welcome any attempt by the Feds to get to the bottom of this for the sanctity of sports in this country. If this is what I think it is, Congress MUST ACT!

Nice little delusion you have going on there. The Pats were accused of stealing defensive signals. If they "sat down" on every Eagles screen pass in the second half, it is because the Eagles didn't execute. Offensive plays aren't signaled in.

gr8slayer
02-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Commissioner Roger Goodell revealed Friday that the NFL obtained six different tapes from the Patriots from the 2007 preseason and 2006 regular season.
Goodell says he's more than willing to meet with Congress, which is interested in knowing why tapes were destroyed. Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) says he wants answers for the "good of the game." Goodell doesn't believe Spygate taints the Patriots' 2007 accomplishments, saying "what they did this season was certainly within the rules, on a level playing field."

Coach Sal
02-01-2008, 03:58 PM
This isn't true. The Miami Dolphins had to forfeit a 1st round pick when they were found to have tampered in signing Don Shula away from the Colts.

Yes it is true.

The Dolphins did not FORFEIT their pick.

They were forced to give it to the Colts as compensation for tampering with and signing Shula.

bflojohn
02-01-2008, 04:19 PM
NE39, obviously you are fully capable of checking your common sense at the door in blind allegiance to the patriots jauggernaut! Please leave the rose colored glasses behind and search for the hidden meaning behind this escapade! Congress does not whistle past the graveyard with what amounts to frivoulous encounters with "big business" unless the veil of secrecy and deceit are lingering in the shadows. Ask yourself what possible reason there would be for anyone in congress to "take up" this mantle without a clear distinction of motive. Otherwise it is a boondoggle that wastes everyones time. Rest asurred that Senator Arlen Spector is hot onto something here, probably by way of leaks within the NFL or the Patriots front offices. Try adding two and two, because that is the basics of this case.

jamze132
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
First of all, the government need not be concerned with sports. There are enough problems in the country and around the world than to waste time questioning people about video tapes.

Second, I think the tapes that were confiscated showed a lot more than we were let known. It's not like Belichick just started taping other teams illegally. It probably goes back years which if made public, would seriously damage the integrity of the NFL. The NFL is never going to stip a team of a Super Bowl. They figured its just best to keep it as quiet as possible and throw out some bull**** punishments.

Just my opinion...

Johnny Bugmenot
02-01-2008, 08:25 PM

Oh, please.

New England still has a top-5 draft pick that they didn't even touch. And Belichick? Pay? You do remember that they renegotiated his contract right after the fines were dealt, right?

Given the fact that Kraft (like the other NFL owners) is worth billions, he can eat $750,000 easily like a slap on the wrist.

The forfeiture of the game would have destroyed their "perfect season." You'd bet it'd be significant. You know as well as I that the NFL doesn't have the cajones to pull that off.

But I digress...

...this isn't directly related to the Spy scandal, but it's high time someone investigated the National Football League. From running franchises from other leagues out of town to assertions of copyright power no organization has, the NFL has extorted its fans and its viewers for too long. And the mainstream media, who is the biggest investor in the league, is all too willing to eat financial losses and aid in the conspiracy. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these games were fixed! In fact, I highly suspect it-- remember Super Bowl XL?

Somebody needs to take a look at the NFL and if it has to be Congress, so be it. They have a monopoly on the pro football market in this country, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Philagape
02-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Like so many other things, this is none of the government's damn business. Roger should tell Arlen Specter to F off.

Jeff1220
02-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I love football and I love the NFL, and it's really been bothering me the way they went about destroying that evidence so quickly. Wouldn't it have been in the NFL's best interest to share the evidence if it didn't show anything major? If this is the kind of cover up it seems to be, there are millions of hard-working fans out there who make this league and its teams worth extraordinary amounts of money, who have basically been screwed into thinking they were getting an authentic product. When the consumer is getting hosed by big business for the better interest of big business, I am glad that someone who can do something about it is. Goodell should've been forced to answer questions about this months ago!

Philagape
02-01-2008, 08:46 PM
A team violated the rules, and the league punished them. It's an in-house matter, and that's the end of it.

Philagape
02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
And why should Congress investigate anything? If there are any federal laws broken, that's for the Justice Department. Separation of powers. Congress is not supposed to be able to do anything about it.

DynaPaul
02-02-2008, 02:26 PM
The tapes were destroyed simply because it brought us further down the rabbit hole into the Patriot's cheating dynasty. I have no doubt that the information on those tapes influenced some big games including Super Bowls. The NFL can't have that kind of scandal becoming a stigma on the integrity of their product.

Throne Logic
02-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I feel that Congress is crossing the line here. Aside from wasting resources and tax dollars, they really have no business getting involved. This is NOT a legal matter. NO LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN!

Cheating is an issue for the NFL to deal with however they choose to do so.

What's next? Is the Senate going to start investigating potential motives for late hits on QB's? "We feel that a 15 yard personal foul and $10K fine was not sufficient punishment by the NFL. Therefore, we are forming a special sub-committee to investigate this matter".

This is a VERY dangerous territory that the US Government is crossing into. Truth be told, I find it mildly frightening.

Again, this is a breech of etiquette. NOT ILLEGAL, last I checked. Just plain rude and socially unacceptable.

YardRat
02-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Who else has the authority to uphold or deny the league's anti-trust exemption if it isn't Congress?

Jeff1220
02-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Cheating in sports isn't illegal, but ripping off your customers is.

Owen DeBoard
02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I feel that Congress is crossing the line here. Aside from wasting resources and tax dollars, they really have no business getting involved. This is NOT a legal matter. NO LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN!

Cheating is an issue for the NFL to deal with however they choose to do so.

What's next? Is the Senate going to start investigating potential motives for late hits on QB's? "We feel that a 15 yard personal foul and $10K fine was not sufficient punishment by the NFL. Therefore, we are forming a special sub-committee to investigate this matter".

This is a VERY dangerous territory that the US Government is crossing into. Truth be told, I find it mildly frightening.

Again, this is a breech of etiquette. NOT ILLEGAL, last I checked. Just plain rude and socially unacceptable.
I like what their doin. Think about how much money is on these games.

BSXIII
02-03-2008, 12:46 AM
All the top AFC teams have blood on their hands. The Patriots have Spygate and Harrison, the Chargers have Merriman, Jaguars have Stroud, and the Colts have the piped in crowd noise and Polian bullying around the competition committee to change the rules to benefit his team.

Yea, I know CBS took the blame for the Colts crowd noise. So If we give them a pass there, and a pass for all the times they were accused in the past. How do you explain why the sound in this clip goes from deafening, to being able to hear a pin drop in a matter of two seconds? Are Indy fans really that much smarter than all other NFL cities, yea alright, that’s believable!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQTcFQEMXo&NR=1

Michael82
02-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Cheating in sports isn't illegal, but ripping off your customers is.
Good post! :bf1:

HHURRICANE
02-03-2008, 10:34 AM

Or explaining why a ridiculous $600 bandaid per person is going to pass.