PDA

View Full Version : Bills Digest

Slim
02-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Free Agency
Both agree the Bill’s will probably sign WR Ernest Wilford JAC (6ft 5inches) – affordable and the wide body the Bills are looking for

They also think the Bill’s are taking a hard look at TE LJ Smith and feel is a very probable candidate

Other possibilities at Def Tackle
GB Corey Williams – neither are nuts about the idea

Draft
1st round If they go wr DeSean Jackson out of Cal – if not they like TE Fred Davis – Def tackle Red Bryant TX A&M
2nd round either TE or Corner – only name mentioned is TE Martin Rucker
3rd round – corner

Both want Losman traded – bad for the locker room. They think possibilities are Det, Atl and Chi

VeggieMan14
02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Free Agency
Both agree the Bill’s will probably sign WR Ernest Wilford JAC (6ft 5inches) – affordable and the wide body the Bills are looking for

They also think the Bill’s are taking a hard look at TE LJ Smith and feel is a very probable candidate

Draft
1st round If they go wr DeSean Jackson out of Cal – if not they like TE Fred Davis – Def tackle Red Bryant TX A&M
3rd round – corner

Both want Losman traded – bad for the locker room. They think possibilities are Det, Atl and Chi

Why Desean Jackson? that doesnt make sense to me go with dan connor and get rucker in the second round

TigerJ
02-01-2008, 09:14 PM
That is certainly a viable strategy. Wilford is pretty slow, but he'll certainly give the Bills a red zone target, which I think is mostly what this big receiver hype is all about. If they do sign Wilford, the pressure is off to draft a big receiver early in the draft. DeSean Jackson as BPA is a pretty decent option. He should make the Bills dangerous on offense for sure. At this point, I think Davis in R1 woudl be a serious reach. Rucker in round 2 is an option I like much better. Third round is a good place to take a CB.

VeggieMan14
02-01-2008, 09:19 PM
That is certainly a viable strategy. Wilford is pretty slow, but he'll certainly give the Bills a red zone target, which I think is mostly what this big receiver hype is all about. If they do sign Wilford, the pressure is off to draft a big receiver early in the draft. DeSean Jackson as BPA is a pretty decent option. He should make the Bills dangerous on offense for sure. At this point, I think Davis in R1 woudl be a serious reach. Rucker in round 2 is an option I like much better. Third round is a good place to take a CB.

I still would think if we do get a WR in round one although I think it would be a dumb move IMO then it should be a bigger one because really what did Wilford do? <TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right ?><TD align=left>SPLIT</TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>ATT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>FUM</TD><TD>LST</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD>45</TD><TD>518</TD><TD>11.5</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Those are not great stats to me and he played in every game

mayotm
02-02-2008, 07:49 AM
I still would think if we do get a WR in round one although I think it would be a dumb move IMO then it should be a bigger one because really what did Wilford do? <TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right ?><TD align=left>SPLIT</TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>ATT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>FUM</TD><TD>LST</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD>45</TD><TD>518</TD><TD>11.5</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Those are not great stats to me and he played in every gameI agree that those aren't great stats, but Wilford would really benefit playing opposite a speed guy like Evans. He didn't play with very good receivers in Jacksonville. I think Wilford woud be a good signing.

Bert102176
02-02-2008, 08:14 AM
even if we sign Wilford I would like them to draft a top WR in the 1st cause I don't trust Wilford he had tendacies to disapear in games, I would rather see if we could get Matt Jones for a 5th or something, he is hardly used in Jax.

DMBcrew36
02-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Wow, DeSean Jackson runs a 4.29 40. He wouldn't solve our need for a wide receiver over 6'2", though.

patmoran2006
02-02-2008, 09:22 AM
#1- Even if its reality, I hope we dont have to hear the word "affordable" a million times this offseason.

#2- If we were to sign Wilford (who I wouldn't be against at all) AND draft Jackson or any WR at #11, that means say bye bye to any Lee Evans and he'll be gone in a matter of time, so I HATE that. For once I want to sign guys and draft to BUILD a winner; NOT to simply replace valuable guys who we're going to let walk away.

Basically what I'm saying is we address WR in free agency, then I hope we dont draft one in round one. Wilford at the #2 and Reed/Parrish coming off the bench is fine with me. In this scenario, draft a LB (Rivers preferably, then Connor) or another position with that pick. Maybe trade it down and take the best corner available or even tight end.

#3- Why wouldn't either of them be crazy about Corey Williams? Can't think of a better DT "realistically" would could help this team.. I'd love this front four with Williams and McCargo on the field.

gr8slayer
02-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Red Bryant would be awesome.

Devin
02-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Free Agency

Draft
3rd round – corner

Oh super a WR who is big and inconsistent, has lost his starting job a handful of times and.....ah whatever. Just another reason why the Jags keep drafting WR's each year.

LJ Smith is alright I guess, guys injured every year and falls into that 2nd tier of TE's. Upgrades us there of course, but hes hardly a game changing TE.

Disagree on Corey Williams (I suspect neither get nuts about the idea cause its not gonna happen.)

As far as the rookie draft goes, Jacksons great if you want Lee Evans light on your team. So far as I know thats not what we need at pick 11.

If we arent going D at pick 11 (which I hope to god we are) we need to move that pick and trade down for wr/te if thats what they are dead set on doing.

venis2k1
02-02-2008, 11:55 AM
If we arent going D at pick 11 (which I hope to god we are) we need to move that pick and trade down for wr/te if thats what they are dead set on doing.

Word. :afro:

DraftBoy
02-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Stupid Idea after stupid idea is essentially all that article tells me.

-Not being nuts about Williams? Are they high on drugs?
-Signing Wilford isnt horrible but he's proven zilch so far
-Drafting Jackson is a horrible enough idea and one that will hurt the Bills for years to come, but to even mention Red Bryant's name as a 1st Round DT would AGAIN make us the laughing stock of the league and besides that he doesnt fit our system as a DT
-Trading Losman is fine with me, but DET is not a realistic option, they have Stanton already, who they are in love with

Im really starting to wonder if Chris Brown even knows anything, because some of the crap he puts out just makes little to no sense ever. I know he's limited but talking about guys who dont fit our system, arent projected anywhere near our pick, or trades with teams who are set at the position of the player we are trading are just idiotic statements I dont even expect from some of the worst posters on this board.

Don't Panic
02-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Evans isn't going anywhere... I love the idea of WR in FA instead of the draft, only because the guy will be able to step right in and play right away and we'll be able to avoid the likely WR learning curve. Wilford would be nice... I still would prefer BJohnson though. If we're not going to go after Briggs, I'd really like to see Keith Rivers in the 1st (if he's there) so we can have a totally legit LBing corps for this defense finally.

raphael120
02-02-2008, 01:09 PM
So we're thinking about getting a big tall WR in Wilfork and drafting a top rookie talent in WR and TE also? I think we'll be pretty damn stocked at WR. Kind of makes me wonder what Evans feels about his situation in Buffalo..you could tell this season he was kind of disgruntled about the whole QB situation and personally, I think he wants out. If we get Wilfork AND we draft a WR in the first, I think the writing is on the wall for Evans. WHo knows, maybe we send JP and Evans as a package deal somewhere...just my 2 cents.

Midwesternbillsfan
02-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Chris Brown doesn't even have a firm grasp on who's available in FA; he knows Wilford, Williams, L.J. Smith, and Randy Starks; those are all whom I've heard him discuss or write about. And he thought that it was the Packers' DE Cullen Jenkins that was an imminent FA, not Corey Williams, and he later had to issue a retraction/correction when BB.com posters informed him of his mistake.

Chris Brown has no real knowledge about the goings-on inside the Bills' front-office. For the record, I even believe that him using Ernest Wilford's affordability is in some ways a fallacious statement because if Clumps' salary cap figures are right and the Bills will have $14 million added to the cap (and to our self-imposed 'cash to the cap'), Buffalo will be hard-pressed to reach even the minimum salary cap of 85% w/o any significant FA activity; I don't think that extending Evans, Crowell, and Peters would likely even be enough (perhaps if the contracts were substantially front-loaded- and we had at least meager FA activity (FA's like Wilford)- we could).

Anyway, maybe Buffalo will look at Wilford and they will look at L.J. Smith as well. But I wouldn't believe it because Chris Brown said it; it's merely his poorly arrived at opinion that may or may not echo how this Bills' offseason will actually unfold.

Oaf
02-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I'd take Bryant Johnson over Wilford honestly. And I also agree with Pat. If we go out at sign a big WR in the FA AND draft one early, it may spell the doom for Evans which would be very unfortunate.

Personally, I could live with Evans-Bryant-Reed-Parrish with Rucker or Davis in round 2 at TE. The ideal fit for that situation however would be if we drafted Sweed and he was able to start immediately, or if we went ahead and traded for Williams.

elltrain22
02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I would be fine & dandy w/ drafting DeSean Jackson if we sign Wilford. Incidently, I think Wilford would be a great signing. I love Jackson, and think he could be a very nice fit into our offense. Imagine, Evans, Wilford, Jackson, & Parrish (and maybe LJ Smith or Rucker), thats alot of speed, and some much needed size.

yordad
02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I'd take Bryant Johnson over Wilford honestly. And I also agree with Pat. If we go out at sign a big WR in the FA AND draft one early, it may spell the doom for Evans which would be very unfortunate.

Personally, I could live with Evans-Bryant-Reed-Parrish with Rucker or Davis in round 2 at TE. The ideal fit for that situation however would be if we drafted Sweed and he was able to start immediately, or if we went ahead and traded for Williams.I think you are entirely right man. Wilfork started 14 games, playing in 16. He had 45 rec, for 518 yards and three Tds as a number one option. While Bryant started 8 games, playing in 16 and was primarily a number three. And, he managed 46 receptions for 528 and 2 tds.

Now, Arizona threw for more yards, and threw more times, yet Jacksonville got better QB play.

The difference in size is almost negligible; Wilfork is an inch and five pounds bigger, but isn't production the main objective? And, who is faster?

Also, if we get neither, but manage to get Sweed in the second, spending those dollars elsewhere, that would be even better. As long as we spend those dollars. I would rather spend them on Corey Williams, but there is, of course, no way to know if Sweed will be there in the second.

Bmax
02-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Stupid Idea after stupid idea is essentially all that article tells me.

-Not being nuts about Williams? Are they high on drugs?
-Signing Wilford isnt horrible but he's proven zilch so far
-Drafting Jackson is a horrible enough idea and one that will hurt the Bills for years to come, but to even mention Red Bryant's name as a 1st Round DT would AGAIN make us the laughing stock of the league and besides that he doesnt fit our system as a DT
-Trading Losman is fine with me, but DET is not a realistic option, they have Stanton already, who they are in love with

Im really starting to wonder if Chris Brown even knows anything, because some of the crap he puts out just makes little to no sense ever. I know he's limited but talking about guys who dont fit our system, arent projected anywhere near our pick, or trades with teams who are set at the position of the player we are trading are just idiotic statements I dont even expect from some of the worst posters on this board.

Calm down Buddy....

These guys know little or nothing about the draft....DAVIS IS NOT A TOP 20 PICK IN MY OPINON...Bryant 2nd rd ....I would rather have Laws or Rbin in rd 3 then Bryant...

After the combine they will be singing a different tune....

As for FA Wilford might be a good addition depends on how much money they want to pay him...

Bmax

LifetimeBillsFan
02-03-2008, 04:25 AM
I've said this before, but I'll say it again: a lot of what Chris Brown writes in his blog at this time of the year is MIS-information coming out of OBD--not information--designed to camoflage what the front office's real intentions are.

There are useful tidbits stuck into the flow of mis-information, but I wouldn't put an overly great amount of credence into most of what he says in terms of specific players at a given position. And, sometimes, it is the guy that he doesn't mention a lot an obvious position of need that ends up being the guy that they end up going after.

Everyone in the world expects the Bills to go after a big WR to play opposite L.Evans either in the draft or free agency. After playing in Arizona and with the Cards having to do something to deal with all of the money that they are going to have tied up in Fitzgerald and Boldin, B.Johnson may not be as easy to sign as a free agent as Wilford. On the other hand, Wilford has a higher profile and may be the guy that everyone expects the Bills to pursue. And, then, you have a guy like DJ Hackett sitting out there who might be just as good or better, if you can get him to leave Seattle.

Similarly, a lot of teams and scouts have Desean Jackson rated as the top WR prospect out there. The Bills have tapped Cal players in each of the last two drafts (A.Merz and M.Lynch). Given M.Levy's Cal connections, taking another Cal product, one who has speed to burn and can help on STs immediately, might seem like a logical thing for the Bills to do--especially if they tab a big possession receiver in free agency and cut ties with P.Price and S.Aiken. At 5'11"/6'0" Jackson is not a big WR, but he's not a smurf and his speed and big play ability would have to be respected--and he would provide insurance in case the Bills couldn't re-sign Lee Evans. So, why not float his name out there as someone that they are really interested in? After all, people are going to think they are interested in Jackson the same way they thought that they were interested in Ngata, Bunkley and Okoye (names that C.Brown mentioned a LOT before the Bills last two drafts). But, who's to say that it isn't all just a big smoke-screen?

Fred Davis at TE and Red Bryant at DT? Tell us all something that we don't know! Of course the Bills are interested in those guys. But, at # 11 in the first round? Davis, maybe. But, the Bryant inclusion tells me that he's a guy that they are looking at for later on, not at # 11.

The sense I get is that the Bills will try to sign a big WR in free agency and maybe a DT other than C.Moore. As for those three draft picks: well, depending on what they are able to do in free agency, maybe those are the guys that they are hoping to get with their first three picks....

But, based on past experience, I think that we will be hearing more of this kind of stuff from Chris Brown before free agency begins and as the draft approaches. I think he knows that he has to give the fans a little something, no matter how improbable, to keep up the interest and discussions going at this point--when there really isn't a lot of hard information out there (I doubt that the Bills have even begun to put much in the way of a preliminary draft board together and won't until they find out what they are going to be able to do in free agency, finish collating all of their scouting film, and talk with some of these players at The Combine and/or their pro days). He drops a few tidbits like this out there, gets everybody's panties in a bunch, and, in the meantime, if 3/4s--or even all--of what he says is untrue, it covers the team's real intentions because who will know what is the true portion of what he is saying and what isn't?

TedMock
02-03-2008, 05:59 AM
I'd like Wilford and Corey Williams. I think the reason some aren't thrilled about Williams here is that he's not a true space-eating DT that many claim we need. He'll cause havoc in the gaps and that's really what our philosophy is anyway, so I'm all for it.