• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slim
    • Apr 2004

Bills Digest

Free Agency
    Both agree the Bill’s will probably sign WR Ernest Wilford JAC (6ft 5inches) – affordable and the wide body the Bills are looking for

They also think the Bill’s are taking a hard look at TE LJ Smith and feel is a very probable candidate

Other possibilities at Def Tackle
    GB Corey Williams – neither are nuts about the idea

Draft
    1st round If they go wr DeSean Jackson out of Cal – if not they like TE Fred Davis – Def tackle Red Bryant TX A&M
    2nd round either TE or Corner – only name mentioned is TE Martin Rucker
    3rd round – corner

Both want Losman traded – bad for the locker room. They think possibilities are Det, Atl and Chi
  • VeggieMan14
    • Jan 2008

Re: Bills Digest

Originally posted by slimschmittie
    Free Agency
    Both agree the Bill’s will probably sign WR Ernest Wilford JAC (6ft 5inches) – affordable and the wide body the Bills are looking for

They also think the Bill’s are taking a hard look at TE LJ Smith and feel is a very probable candidate

Draft
    1st round If they go wr DeSean Jackson out of Cal – if not they like TE Fred Davis – Def tackle Red Bryant TX A&M
    3rd round – corner

Both want Losman traded – bad for the locker room. They think possibilities are Det, Atl and Chi
    Why Desean Jackson? that doesnt make sense to me go with dan connor and get rucker in the second round
    I feel a win streak coming and a Bills Playoff Run!!!

VeggieMan- To many Concussions as a kid

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

That is certainly a viable strategy. Wilford is pretty slow, but he'll certainly give the Bills a red zone target, which I think is mostly what this big receiver hype is all about. If they do sign Wilford, the pressure is off to draft a big receiver early in the draft. DeSean Jackson as BPA is a pretty decent option. He should make the Bills dangerous on offense for sure. At this point, I think Davis in R1 woudl be a serious reach. Rucker in round 2 is an option I like much better. Third round is a good place to take a CB.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• VeggieMan14
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by TigerJ
        That is certainly a viable strategy. Wilford is pretty slow, but he'll certainly give the Bills a red zone target, which I think is mostly what this big receiver hype is all about. If they do sign Wilford, the pressure is off to draft a big receiver early in the draft. DeSean Jackson as BPA is a pretty decent option. He should make the Bills dangerous on offense for sure. At this point, I think Davis in R1 woudl be a serious reach. Rucker in round 2 is an option I like much better. Third round is a good place to take a CB.
        I still would think if we do get a WR in round one although I think it would be a dumb move IMO then it should be a bigger one because really what did Wilford do?
        SPLITRECYDSAVGLNGTDATTYDSAVGLNGTDFUMLST

Those are not great stats to me and he played in every game
        I feel a win streak coming and a Bills Playoff Run!!!

VeggieMan- To many Concussions as a kid

Comment

• mayotm
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by VeggieMan14
          I still would think if we do get a WR in round one although I think it would be a dumb move IMO then it should be a bigger one because really what did Wilford do?
          SPLITRECYDSAVGLNGTDATTYDSAVGLNGTDFUMLST

Those are not great stats to me and he played in every game
          I agree that those aren't great stats, but Wilford would really benefit playing opposite a speed guy like Evans. He didn't play with very good receivers in Jacksonville. I think Wilford woud be a good signing.

Comment

• Bert102176
            • Aug 2002

even if we sign Wilford I would like them to draft a top WR in the 1st cause I don't trust Wilford he had tendacies to disapear in games, I would rather see if we could get Matt Jones for a 5th or something, he is hardly used in Jax.
            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• DMBcrew36
              • Feb 2005

Wow, DeSean Jackson runs a 4.29 40. He wouldn't solve our need for a wide receiver over 6'2", though.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

#1- Even if its reality, I hope we dont have to hear the word "affordable" a million times this offseason.

#2- If we were to sign Wilford (who I wouldn't be against at all) AND draft Jackson or any WR at #11, that means say bye bye to any Lee Evans and he'll be gone in a matter of time, so I HATE that. For once I want to sign guys and draft to BUILD a winner; NOT to simply replace valuable guys who we're going to let walk away.

Basically what I'm saying is we address WR in free agency, then I hope we dont draft one in round one. Wilford at the #2 and Reed/Parrish coming off the bench is fine with me. In this scenario, draft a LB (Rivers preferably, then Connor) or another position with that pick. Maybe trade it down and take the best corner available or even tight end.

#3- Why wouldn't either of them be crazy about Corey Williams? Can't think of a better DT "realistically" would could help this team.. I'd love this front four with Williams and McCargo on the field.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Red Bryant would be awesome.

Comment

• Devin
                    The Octagon
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by slimschmittie
                    Free Agency

Draft
                    3rd round – corner

Oh super a WR who is big and inconsistent, has lost his starting job a handful of times and.....ah whatever. Just another reason why the Jags keep drafting WR's each year.

LJ Smith is alright I guess, guys injured every year and falls into that 2nd tier of TE's. Upgrades us there of course, but hes hardly a game changing TE.

Disagree on Corey Williams (I suspect neither get nuts about the idea cause its not gonna happen.)

As far as the rookie draft goes, Jacksons great if you want Lee Evans light on your team. So far as I know thats not what we need at pick 11.

If we arent going D at pick 11 (which I hope to god we are) we need to move that pick and trade down for wr/te if thats what they are dead set on doing.
                    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• venis2k1
                      Youboty can hope
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Devin
                      If we arent going D at pick 11 (which I hope to god we are) we need to move that pick and trade down for wr/te if thats what they are dead set on doing.
                      Word.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Stupid Idea after stupid idea is essentially all that article tells me.

-Not being nuts about Williams? Are they high on drugs?
                        -Signing Wilford isnt horrible but he's proven zilch so far
                        -Drafting Jackson is a horrible enough idea and one that will hurt the Bills for years to come, but to even mention Red Bryant's name as a 1st Round DT would AGAIN make us the laughing stock of the league and besides that he doesnt fit our system as a DT
                        -Trading Losman is fine with me, but DET is not a realistic option, they have Stanton already, who they are in love with

Im really starting to wonder if Chris Brown even knows anything, because some of the crap he puts out just makes little to no sense ever. I know he's limited but talking about guys who dont fit our system, arent projected anywhere near our pick, or trades with teams who are set at the position of the player we are trading are just idiotic statements I dont even expect from some of the worst posters on this board.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

Evans isn't going anywhere... I love the idea of WR in FA instead of the draft, only because the guy will be able to step right in and play right away and we'll be able to avoid the likely WR learning curve. Wilford would be nice... I still would prefer BJohnson though. If we're not going to go after Briggs, I'd really like to see Keith Rivers in the 1st (if he's there) so we can have a totally legit LBing corps for this defense finally.

Comment

• raphael120
                            Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                            • Oct 2005

So we're thinking about getting a big tall WR in Wilfork and drafting a top rookie talent in WR and TE also? I think we'll be pretty damn stocked at WR. Kind of makes me wonder what Evans feels about his situation in Buffalo..you could tell this season he was kind of disgruntled about the whole QB situation and personally, I think he wants out. If we get Wilfork AND we draft a WR in the first, I think the writing is on the wall for Evans. WHo knows, maybe we send JP and Evans as a package deal somewhere...just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
                              • Apr 2007

Chris Brown doesn't even have a firm grasp on who's available in FA; he knows Wilford, Williams, L.J. Smith, and Randy Starks; those are all whom I've heard him discuss or write about. And he thought that it was the Packers' DE Cullen Jenkins that was an imminent FA, not Corey Williams, and he later had to issue a retraction/correction when BB.com posters informed him of his mistake.

Chris Brown has no real knowledge about the goings-on inside the Bills' front-office. For the record, I even believe that him using Ernest Wilford's affordability is in some ways a fallacious statement because if Clumps' salary cap figures are right and the Bills will have $14 million added to the cap (and to our self-imposed 'cash to the cap'), Buffalo will be hard-pressed to reach even the minimum salary cap of 85% w/o any significant FA activity; I don't think that extending Evans, Crowell, and Peters would likely even be enough (perhaps if the contracts were substantially front-loaded- and we had at least meager FA activity (FA's like Wilford)- we could).

Anyway, maybe Buffalo will look at Wilford and they will look at L.J. Smith as well. But I wouldn't believe it because Chris Brown said it; it's merely his poorly arrived at opinion that may or may not echo how this Bills' offseason will actually unfold.

Comment

Working...
                              X