PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts on..

Oaf
02-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Roger Goddell. Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but just wondering how you guys feel about how he is running the league and if he's the right guy for the future. Personally, I like how he's cracked down hard on NFL player misconduct since he's been here, but many feel he has been too quick to enforce his authority.
Little drunk here, so :respect:!

:gobills: :beers:

Wys Guy
02-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Roger Goddell. Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but just wondering how you guys feel about how he is running the league and if he's the right guy for the future. Personally, I like how he's cracked down hard on NFL player misconduct since he's been here, but many feel he has been too quick to enforce his authority.
Little drunk here, so :respect:!

:gobills: :beers:

LOL

Yeah, was wondering about that w/ a 3 a.m. post.

Good question though considering, and more adult and mature than 90% of what goes on here by those that are sober.

IMO he's doing a good job. He could be a little bit more consistent in the enforcement of his discipline, but I like it. The league needs cleaning up in this way.

BTW, if you haven't listened to this, it's hilarious as are all bang cartoons. But on this topic, check it out.

WARNING: Not suitable for children!

http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman2.htm

Dr. Lecter
02-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Good question though considering, and more adult and mature than 90% of what goes on here by those that are sober.

You know, you complain about the attacks you endure (and often justifiably so) and then post something like this.

If everybody stopped their ****, including yourself, this forum would be much more enjoyable even when we agree to disagree.

Coach Sal
02-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Nice bit of trivia about the Commish:

His dad, Charles Goodell, was the man who replaced Robert Kennedy (RFK) as Senator of NY after his assassination.

Also, the Commissioner himself is married to FOX News anchor Jane Skinner.

I like him and believe he's one of those guys that winds up being the right man at the right time for the right job. He's better than Tagliabue. But it will be hard to ever surpass Rozell's legacy.

Owen DeBoard
02-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Nice bit of trivia about the Commish:

His dad, Charles Goodell, was the man who replaced Robert Kennedy (RFK) as Senator of NY after his assassination.

Also, the Commissioner himself is married to FOX News anchor Jane Skinner.

I like him and believe he's one of those guys that winds up being the right man at the right time for the right job. He's better than Tagliabue. But it will be hard to ever surpass Rozell's legacy.
Just wondering how you can say that Godell is better than Tagliabue when Tagliabue is goin to the hall of fame and Godell has just gotten started. This spygate thing has me wonderin about this guy.

Oaf
02-02-2008, 01:58 PM
That was a funny toon, Wys. One thing that worries me about the new commish is that he seems to be a very business-like profit driven man looking to make the NFL as much of a cash cow as he can. I think the NFL is ballooning to a point where the actual game of football is just a fraction about what the NFL appears to be about these days. Just so much seems to be saturated with the NFL brand these days.

I guess I'll appreciate it 10x more when the Bills are actually good.

I also don't think that Roger has great interest in sustaining small market teams, like us, over the long haul because of the whole market feasibility thing.

gr8slayer
02-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I think he's doing a fine job. Hopefully he sticks up for us when the axe starts coming down.

Coach Sal
02-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Just wondering how you can say that Godell is better than Tagliabue when Tagliabue is goin to the hall of fame and Godell has just gotten started. This spygate thing has me wonderin about this guy.

I meant that he is already on track to be better than Tags, and a better fit for the league than Tags.

He, of course, has to have a longer more of a body of work to be considered as having a better tenure.

Wys Guy
02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
You know, you complain about the attacks you endure (and often justifiably so) and then post something like this.

If everybody stopped their ****, including yourself, this forum would be much more enjoyable even when we agree to disagree.

LOL

Surely you jest!

Wys Guy
02-03-2008, 11:31 AM
That was a funny toon, Wys. One thing that worries me about the new commish is that he seems to be a very business-like profit driven man looking to make the NFL as much of a cash cow as he can. I think the NFL is ballooning to a point where the actual game of football is just a fraction about what the NFL appears to be about these days. Just so much seems to be saturated with the NFL brand these days.

I guess I'll appreciate it 10x more when the Bills are actually good.

I also don't think that Roger has great interest in sustaining small market teams, like us, over the long haul because of the whole market feasibility thing.

Excellent statement!

Yeah, well it's clearly a business first enterprise now. Unfortunately the team won't be good under Wilson and when it is it will be in Toronto.

I'm not sure that Roger or any commissioner's feelings about small markets really has much to do with anything. It's all about economics.

Think about it; if you wanted to open a wing place, would you do it out on some rural route, or in a hugely populated residential area in a suburban area or city?

The owners, while getting very sizeable assistance from municipalities, make an investment that they want to get the heftiest return possible on. That simply isn't going to occur in certain markets.

I suppose that the silver lining here is that Bills fans should perhaps reflect possitively that the WNY/Buffalo market was once big enough and viable enough to have a pro football team.

Wys Guy
02-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I think he's doing a fine job. Hopefully he sticks up for us when the axe starts coming down.

What can he do? Convince would be purchasers that it's smarter to make less money and risk losing it by staying here?

There's far less "wiggle room" to finnagle than most people realize.

These aren't emotional or sentimental decisions for businessmen, which is what NFL owners are.

The only time that businesses do things for sentimental reasons is if they need a tax shelter as a write off. Then they'll throw money hand over fist at a venture not caring, yea, knowing, that they're going to take a huge loss.

Unfortunately buying an NFL team is a little bit bigger of a venture than that and isn't the type of thing that is bought to not make money on.

I'm sure that the Toronto interests are drooling with the latest news. $250/ticket? A city/metro area 4-5 times the size of Buffalo/WNY?

The fact that it's now a regular season game this fall contrary to the earlier reported preseason game only, coupled with the fact that this is a five-year deal, something that can easily be changed to more games up there in any season, is not good news for those holding out hope that the team stays here.

I give it four seasons tops now, assuming that Wilson doesn't make it that far, before all games are played there.