PDA

View Full Version : My take on the Bills-Toronto thing

PromoTheRobot
02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
The NFL knows Buffalo is an economic black hole with little chance of supporting an NFL franchise at the level they want. But they also don't want another Cleveland Browns-style black eye.

So the Bills team up with Rogers to play a couple games in Toronto. This accomplishes a couple of things: 1) It tests out Toronto as an NFL market. 2) It acclimates both markets to the idea of sharing a team. 3) It grosses $106 Mil!!!

Note the deal runs through 2012, the same year the Bills lease expires. Not that breaking the Bills lease is any big deal. The couple million in penalties is chump change compared to what the Bills are worth. But this way it shows the NFL and the Bills as honoring their obligations.

So what happens as 2012 approaches? It depends if Ralph is still with us. If he departs for the big owners meeting in the sky, the Rogers group will have the inside track to buy the Bills. They will have shown the other owners that they are fit to represent the NFL, not just in Toronto, but in all of Canada. Also, if Ralph were to pass in the next few years, Rogers will have time to build a new larger stadium.

But here's the catch: The NFL will insist that a few games are still played in Buffalo. They may even try to keep the name Bills. I'm also sure that Bills season ticket holders will be given the option to buy tickets in Toronto, at whatever astronomical price they will cost. That way the NFL looks like they are not abandoning a historic NFL city.

Even if Ralph makes it to 2012 and beyond, I fully expect the Bills to shift most of their games to Toronto. The only question is whether Rogers will want more control of team operations, especially if the Bills still haven't made the playoffs by 2012.

So what's left for Buffalo? I predict 3 home games: one pre-, two regular season games. What will fill the void? Three possibilities: 1) If UB emerges as a major football program, they will play games at RWS. 2) If the NFL creates a US-based developmental spring league, we'll get a team, and 3) We get a CFL team, probably the Argos. RWS will have to be torn up to make room for a CFL field. Rogers would probably pay for that. We'd have a natural rivalry with Hamilton, and the CFL season starts earlier and ends before the really bad weather hits.

Any thoughts?

PTR

trapezeus
02-02-2008, 10:57 AM
interesting take on it. that's depressing as ****, i'll tell you that.

it could happen, it might not happen. it really depends on the players union and 2009 and 2010. perhaps the owners don't think it's the fans and fan support that's the problem, but the money they pay to the players. if that's the case, they won't be about trying to increase revenue and try moving teams, but trying to get more of the current revenues to go in their own pockets.

i see what your saying and it makes sense, but i hope its not true.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2008, 11:37 AM
If it is a situation where Toronto gets the majority of the games, and I am talking more than 1 a year I am done with the NFL and the bills. They can go **** themselves.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Enough of this stupid CFL talk please. No one will care about it. It would be a complete waste of time.

DynaPaul
02-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Man, we'd be like the Giants and Jets. We'd still keep the Buffalo name but really play in Canada. That'd be so gay.

HHURRICANE
02-02-2008, 03:11 PM
If Buffalo gets a CFL team I will never, ever, support it!!

Canadian Football is for homos. We might as well get a professinal figure skating team.

YardRat
02-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Five years. The countdown begins.

No way in hell Erie county and NYS are going to pony up money for a new stadium for minor league football. If the Bills move, the last person to leave Buffalo might as well turn the lights out.

Michael82
02-02-2008, 03:45 PM
If the Bills move, the last person to leave Buffalo might as well turn the lights out.

I totally agree and that's also why I believe the NFL, New York State will do everything in their power to try to keep the Buffalo Bills in Western NY. What's left of the economy will plummet and the people left will pretty much flood out of the state too, now that they don't have anything left to make them feel good. :sigh:

Historian
02-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Five years. The countdown begins.

No way in hell Erie county and NYS are going to pony up money for a new stadium for minor league football. If the Bills move, the last person to leave Buffalo might as well turn the lights out.

Thurm and I will leave a light on...

imbondz
02-02-2008, 04:16 PM
if the Bills ever move, i'm done with the NFL.

Michael82
02-02-2008, 04:17 PM
if the Bills ever move, i'm done with the NFL.
Me too. :ill:

PromoTheRobot
02-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Me too. :ill:
We'll miss ya'll.

PTR

im4bflo
02-02-2008, 06:46 PM
They can get Canadians to come to a BUFFALO BILLS game,
but you won't see me going to Canada if the Bills go there.
Up your's NFL, if that happens.
Good luck filling that stadium after the hypes over.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Thurm and I will leave a light on...
:hi5:

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2008, 10:16 PM
They can get Canadians to come to a BUFFALO BILLS game,
but you won't see me going to Canada if the Bills go there.
Up your's NFL, if that happens.
Good luck filling that stadium after the hypes over.
With you man. I will do everything in my power to destroy that team.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
We'll miss ya'll.

PTR
Who is we? Most Bills fans here will be done as well! Who would stick with them?

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2008, 10:18 PM

Me either.

im4bflo
02-02-2008, 10:25 PM

Canadian Football is for homos. We might as well get a professinal figure skating team.

CFL? What's that? Childrens Football League!
I don't watch it now, and I wouldn't watch it if they played
across the street. What sucks there, will still suck here!
:gobills: or nothing!

PromoTheRobot
02-03-2008, 09:56 AM

I only mentioned the CFL as a last long shot possibility. I can't believe you guys zero in on that and say nothing about the rest of the post.

You all get a gold star for being such loyal fans but loyalty and a buck gets you a cup of coffee. If you are so dead set against any scenario that involves the Bills splitting time in Toronto then you might as well kiss the team good bye right now because without 50 major corporations moving to Buffalo inside the next 5 years, this franchise is toast.

Deny it all you want. It doesn't change reality.

PTR

HHURRICANE
02-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I only mentioned the CFL as a last long shot possibility. I can't believe you guys zero in on that and say nothing about the rest of the post.

You all get a gold star for being such loyal fans but loyalty and a buck gets you a cup of coffee. If you are so dead set against any scenario that involves the Bills splitting time in Toronto then you might as well kiss the team good bye right now because without 50 major corporations moving to Buffalo inside the next 5 years, this franchise is toast.

Deny it all you want. It doesn't change reality.

PTR

Splitting games with Toronto as the Buffalo Bills, yes.

Trading the Bills for the Argos, never.

You went there not me.

Wys Guy
02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
The NFL knows Buffalo is an economic black hole with little chance of supporting an NFL franchise at the level they want. But they also don't want another Cleveland Browns-style black eye.

So the Bills team up with Rogers to play a couple games in Toronto. This accomplishes a couple of things: 1) It tests out Toronto as an NFL market. 2) It acclimates both markets to the idea of sharing a team. 3) It grosses $106 Mil!!!

Note the deal runs through 2012, the same year the Bills lease expires. Not that breaking the Bills lease is any big deal. The couple million in penalties is chump change compared to what the Bills are worth. But this way it shows the NFL and the Bills as honoring their obligations.

So what happens as 2012 approaches? It depends if Ralph is still with us. If he departs for the big owners meeting in the sky, the Rogers group will have the inside track to buy the Bills. They will have shown the other owners that they are fit to represent the NFL, not just in Toronto, but in all of Canada. Also, if Ralph were to pass in the next few years, Rogers will have time to build a new larger stadium.

But here's the catch: The NFL will insist that a few games are still played in Buffalo. They may even try to keep the name Bills. I'm also sure that Bills season ticket holders will be given the option to buy tickets in Toronto, at whatever astronomical price they will cost. That way the NFL looks like they are not abandoning a historic NFL city.

Even if Ralph makes it to 2012 and beyond, I fully expect the Bills to shift most of their games to Toronto. The only question is whether Rogers will want more control of team operations, especially if the Bills still haven't made the playoffs by 2012.

So what's left for Buffalo? I predict 3 home games: one pre-, two regular season games. What will fill the void? Three possibilities: 1) If UB emerges as a major football program, they will play games at RWS. 2) If the NFL creates a US-based developmental spring league, we'll get a team, and 3) We get a CFL team, probably the Argos. RWS will have to be torn up to make room for a CFL field. Rogers would probably pay for that. We'd have a natural rivalry with Hamilton, and the CFL season starts earlier and ends before the really bad weather hits.

Any thoughts?

PTR

It's a nice theory Promo, but why? What's your basis?

But here's the catch: The NFL will insist that a few games are still played in Buffalo.

Why?

IMO the odds of the NFL sustaining a black eye heighten with any continued association with Buffalo, not only a smaller market than the rest, but a literally shrinking one. You guys are too wrapped up in this emotionally, which is understandable, but take yourselves out of the equation if you can, and it makes no sense to leave a team in Buffalo. Not to the new owner nor to the league.

Any "issues" can be parlayed off onto the new owner and it will "all make sense" then.

The fewer games the Bills get here the less interest will be plain and simple. Especially if the product continues to suck. Wilson, ironically, is the last string tying the Bills to Buffalo.

im4bflo
02-03-2008, 12:05 PM
We've still yet to hear Jimbo's Plan, whatever it is, I'll always have hope
until the worst actually happens.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 07:46 AM
It's a nice theory Promo, but why? What's your basis?

Why?

IMO the odds of the NFL sustaining a black eye heighten with any continued association with Buffalo, not only a smaller market than the rest, but a literally shrinking one. You guys are too wrapped up in this emotionally, which is understandable, but take yourselves out of the equation if you can, and it makes no sense to leave a team in Buffalo. Not to the new owner nor to the league.

Any "issues" can be parlayed off onto the new owner and it will "all make sense" then.

The fewer games the Bills get here the less interest will be plain and simple. Especially if the product continues to suck. Wilson, ironically, is the last string tying the Bills to Buffalo.
I agree 100%