PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Ram Warner wants NFL to expand probe of Patriots

Michael82
02-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Looking back, quarterback Kurt Warner says Super Bowl XXXVI in New Orleans is a blur. The underdog New England Patriots simply outschemed Warner's St. Louis Rams, parading out six and at times seven defensive backs and roughing up the Rams' sleek receivers to slow down an offense then dubbed "The Greatest Show on Turf." St. Louis, Warner says, just got beat. The final score read 20-17. That result can't be changed.

But for peace of mind, the two-time MVP wants the league to investigate reports that the Patriots might have benefited from a videotape of the Rams' final practice before that Super Bowl six years ago.

In the latest flurry of news surrounding the Patriots' videotaping activities, a report in Saturday's Boston Herald indicated that a member of the Patriots' video staff might have filmed the Rams' final walk-through in the Superdome the day before the game. The story cited a lone source, described as someone close to the New England team that season..................

Warner, who since has moved on to the Arizona Cardinals, was surprised to learn the league didn't speak to Walsh during its investigation of Spygate.

"It is obvious that it wasn't as thorough as it could have been," Warner says of the league's probe. "I don't have any information on why they didn't talk to him or how far back they went, but just knowing that there was somebody that was involved in that [video department], and he wasn't talked to or they didn't go back that far -- I guess it is disappointing. You would think that if they do an investigation for the integrity of the game, that they would try to do everything possible. And maybe they did, and they just missed it. But as a purist and someone who wants to see the integrity of the game stay where it is, it is a little disappointing that they didn't [look] under every rock to figure this out and to do something to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Warner spoke to ESPN.com about the rumors of Super Bowl spying before the Herald's story appeared. He did not return calls Saturday.

Reached late Saturday afternoon, Mike Martz, now the offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers but the head coach for the Rams in that Super Bowl, told ESPN.com: "I hope that is not true. I have great respect for Bill Belichick. It's hard to believe that is true. It's a serious allegation and I hope it is not true.

"Obviously, if there is enough substance to it, the league should look into it.''

According to the Rams' itinerary from Super Bowl XXXVI, the team took the Superdome turf at 12:45 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, 2002, for its final practice, which came after the Patriots had completed their walk-through. The Rams were scheduled to take a team picture at 1:30, eat a box lunch at the stadium at 2 and catch buses back to the team hotel at 2:15.

Warner says he remembers little from the walk-through, other than that the offense ran some of its red zone plays.

Even if that practice had been taped and was available to the Patriots, the advantage might not have been significant, as the Rams weren't in position to use their red zone offense until the fourth quarter.

St. Louis had seven plays inside the Patriots' 30-yard line in the final quarter. At one point, New England stopped the Rams on four successive plays inside the 3-yard line. A holding penalty gave the Rams another play, and, after a timeout, they scored on a quarterback sneak by Warner -- a play that had not been part of Saturday's walk-through but was called by Martz on the sideline.

"It was really just us having some troubles putting the ball in the end zone," Warner says. "We stuck this play in because we had success with it before."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3227592

Michael82
02-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Oh and before all you say that Congress has no right to investigate this ****, read this quote....

Think Congress has no business investigating sports? Most NFL teams play in publicly subsidized stadiums, and NFL games are aired over public airwaves controlled by federal licenses. The licenses, among other things, prohibit any pre-arrangement or artifice in what is presented as live competition. If a Super Bowl were affected by cheating, that would be a legitimate matter of concern to Congress. Plus, the recent lesson learned via baseball and steroids was that Major League Baseball did not clean up its own house until Congress put some pressure on.

Wys Guy
02-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah, that Easterbrook article made some good points, that publicly funded thing in particular, and like it or not.

venis2k1
02-03-2008, 01:16 PM
put em all in jail.

Michael82
02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, that Easterbrook article made some good points, that publicly funded thing in particular, and like it or not.
Yeah he did. :up:

YardRat
02-03-2008, 03:35 PM
I hope this things blows up to epic proportions. Goodell screwed the pooch by taking it easy on the Pats organization, and then destroying the evidence.

Let 'em all rot in hell.

Michael82
02-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I hope this things blows up to epic proportions. Goodell screwed the pooch by taking it easy on the Pats organization, and then destroying the evidence.

Let 'em all rot in hell.
:hi5:

DynaPaul
02-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Patriots = Barry Bonds