PDA

View Full Version : Do you expect the Patriots to be tops again next year?

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Will they rebound from this ultra dissapointing loss yesterday and be back as strong as ever or will they take a step down?

They do have quite a few old players at key positions(especially on D).
Bruschi
Seau
Harrison
Vrabel
Moss(yes he is still at the top of his game)
A. Thomas
Colvin

And
Most likely losing Samuel.

Historian
02-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I think they're done.

Given the age of some of those guys, the half-assed backwards schedule they always play, the allegations of cheating....I think it's a bit much to overcome.

Patrick76777
02-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Will they rebound from this ultra dissapointing loss yesterday and be back as strong as ever or will they take a step down?

Bruschi
Seau
Harrison
Vrabel
A. Thomas
Colvin

And

And Moss is a Free Agent

FlyingDutchman
02-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Thought you only care about the Bills?

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Thought you only care about the Bills?
This directly applies to the Bills chances of a division title.

FlyingDutchman
02-04-2008, 09:21 AM
So why not name the thread, do you think the Bills have a shot at the division title?

hydro
02-04-2008, 09:23 AM
So why not name the thread, do you think the Bills have a shot at the division title?

Someone is trying to rile up THURM!!

don137
02-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Their defense is good but not great. Their offense, with the exception of yesterday, is what is great. They make their defense better because the Patriots offense is so good that teams were one dimensional against them. I think you can run on this defense. The problem is teams were behind so they had to pass. Age has caught with them.
The key to the Patriots being done is if they have the salary cap to re-tool.

Jayhawk
02-04-2008, 09:25 AM
no, stick a fork in them

Ickybaluky
02-04-2008, 09:25 AM
It is too early to tell. If anything happens with Belichick, it throws a wrench in things.

However, I'm pretty sure they re-sign Randy, and Brady will be back. Their offense will be very good again.

Defensively, they may lose some key guys. They are going to have to get younger on that side of the ball. They have the #7 pick, which is a plus.

ST-wise they should be good again.

I think things are promising, but there are big question marks that will have to be answered. They should be in the mix.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Because I didn't want to. What now?

Oldbillsfan
02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
They will be a top 5 team next season again. They won't go 18-1 but they will most likely own the AFC east again. I think they would be better off replacing some of their old guys.

Static
02-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I still wont doubt the Pats next year until i see it.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 09:32 AM
no, stick a fork in them
I think they will still be good but maybe not dominate.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 09:33 AM
It is too early to tell. If anything happens with Belichick, it throws a wrench in things.

However, I'm pretty sure they re-sign Randy, and Brady will be back. Their offense will be very good again.

Defensively, they may lose some key guys. They are going to have to get younger on that side of the ball. They have the #7 pick, which is a plus.

ST-wise they should be good again.

I think things are promising, but there are big question marks that will have to be answered. They should be in the mix.
Sounds about right. Damn the 49ers!!!

FlyingDutchman
02-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Because I didn't want to. What now?

That was witty

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 09:55 AM
That was witty
And your complaining is gay. So what?

FlyingDutchman
02-04-2008, 10:15 AM
And your complaining is gay. So what?

ZIIIINNNG! another witty one. Not complaining. you say you only care about the bills and then start this thread? you have sarcastic wise ass responses to everything. Just seems like youre the type that likes to hear himself, thats all.

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Shut up you two and get back on topic.........

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
ZIIIINNNG! another witty one. Not complaining. you say you only care about the bills and then start this thread? you have sarcastic wise ass responses to everything. Just seems like youre the type that likes to hear himself, thats all.
The thread was a legitimate question man. I guess I don't understand the problem. The Patriots directly affect the Bills.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Shut up you two and get back on topic.........
Nope Close it down Lecter. We must open more threads about the superbowl.

Ickybaluky
02-04-2008, 10:20 AM

Does he?

kernowboy
02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
They'll still be strong - the weak area on the defence is going to be the LBs. Thomas will back as will Vrabel and Colvin, but I can see them picking up some interior help here. Their DL is young and such is the depth in this years draft I can see them picking up Samuel's replacement in the draft as well as resigning Wilson.

On the offence they may lose Moss, but still have a pretty decent collection of WRs.

They won't be as dominant though as teams will look to imitate NYG. I see them going 11-5

njsue
02-04-2008, 10:29 AM

Bruschi
Seau
Harrison
Vrabel
A. Thomas
Colvin

And

They will be missing those lost draft picks to replace these granpa's.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2008, 10:30 AM
They will be missing those lost draft picks to replace these granpa's.
Sue they have the 7th pick in the first round this year you know.

Ickybaluky
02-04-2008, 10:32 AM
They'll still be strong - the weak area on the defence is going to be the LBs. Thomas will back as will Vrabel and Colvin, but I can see them picking up some interior help here. Their DL is young and such is the depth in this years draft I can see them picking up Samuel's replacement in the draft as well as resigning Wilson.

Colvin may be a cap casualty, his cap number is real high ($7.3M+). They will probably try to negotiate something, but he could end up being cut. Plus, Pierre Woods is a young guy they like as at OLB, where they are OK with Vrabel and Thomas, so that might spell the end for Colvin as well.

ILB is a real dire situation, where Bruschi and Seau might both possible retire. Even if they don't, they don't have a lot of other options there. They really have lacked a run-down thumper at ILB since Ted Johnson retired. I'm sure they will have a plan, but something has to give there. They could use a LB who can cover a back out of the backfield. They haven't really had a great cover LB since Roman Phifer retired.

It wouldn't surprise me if they draft a CB, but I hope they make a big push to sign Samuel. He would be a big loss. Ellis Hobbs does a pretty good job, and they should be OK at S with Sanders (who has developed into a very reliable player who rarely makes a mistake) and Meriweather both being young. Randall Gay is another guy I'd like to see them bring back as a nickel defender.

They could really use a situational rusher as well for passing downs.

Ickybaluky
02-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Sue they have the 7th pick in the first round this year you know.

They also have Oakland's 3rd, which is in the top-5 of that round. They can be players on draft day.

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2008, 10:34 AM
I would expect them to be able to sign Samuel or Moss, not both.

Which one do you prefer?

Ickybaluky
02-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I would expect them to be able to sign Samuel or Moss, not both.

Which one do you prefer?

I guess if you put it that way, I'd take Moss. But it would be pretty close. The tie-breaker is I think they could find another CB easier than a game-changing WR. Plus, the Giants showed yesterday you don't need a great secondary if you are great up front.

NorthCarBills
02-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I was thinking about this too. If the Pats won last night, I would probably put money on the fact that the team would stay close to what it is now. Younger players would want to stay even for less money, and older players maybe not be so quick to retire. And potential FAs will be knocking at their doors.

But the game's outcome is probably going to reverse these scenarios. And on top of that this spygate thing is heating up again. That's a negative factor too.

So, for the 2008 season, Brady will be Brady, and his o-line will still be great. But who you saw playing last night for the Pats may look a lot different next year, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

imbondz
02-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I would sign Moss in a second.

I would predict the Patriots do not make the playoffs next year, until I remember they're in the AFC East.

Ickybaluky
02-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I would predict the Patriots do not make the playoffs next year, until I remember they're in the AFC East.

If you go by this year's records, the Pats have the easiest schedule in the league next season. They do have 4 west coast games though (Sea, Oak, SF, SD) and they play at Indy again next season.