PDA

View Full Version : Is the Bye week over rated?

northernbillfan
04-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Once upon a time when there was fewer teams inn the league, the bye meant something. It usually came at a time when you needed the break. The rest was welcomed, especially if you had a few injuries.

Since the introduction of new teams in the league, the bye seems to have lost it's impact. Last season, we had teams with week 1, and week 17 off. This year the league has restructured the bye, allowing for more teams to have time off in the muiddle of the year, but after week 10, there are no more byes.

Why does a team need time off at week 3?

The bye should be in the middle of the season, the Buffalo Bills have it made with the bye coming at week 8. If the bye started at week 5 and ran until week 12, it would be a better for the league, and the teams involved.

Thoughts...

Shiny Chicken
04-07-2003, 01:17 PM
All the byes last season were in the middle part of the season.. it was the season befire where there were byes in weeks 1 and 17... simply because there were an odd number of teams... You can't play football three-way :D

WCoastFin
04-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Bye Weeks can be overrated at times...but no one wants their bye early or late....we have ours week 4 which i think sux! .....but its better to get it over with so it wont disrupt a momentum if we have one.....I guess it all depends on what point of view you look at it......I guess the question should be.....

Should there even be a Bye week??????

LtBillsFan66
04-07-2003, 03:44 PM
You should ask the players on this one, not fans...

simpletask400
04-07-2003, 05:09 PM
No its not overrated.

Look at all the coaches who whine about when they get their bye week.

I have alsp never heard one coach or player talk badly about the bye week.

Earthquake Enyart
04-08-2003, 08:12 AM
The bye week is for tv so the season is one week longer.

I've always thought that they should incorporate Thursday games in with the bye week.

The Bills bye week this year is in the perfect place. :up:

When it's too early, it's useless.

Rude American
04-08-2003, 09:18 AM
I think the bye week is stupid unless it serves every team the same. I think it would be interesting if they made the bye week at about week 12 for every team and devote that week (and Sunday) to announcing the pro-bowl line-ups. (kind of like a typical all-star weekend, except the game is played later on in the year.)

Judge
04-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The bye week is for tv so the season is one week longer.

Exactly. It was only meant to give the TV networks another week of advertising to sell to help justify the high TV rights paid. It has nothing to do with helping teams rest or recover from injuries. If there was no money to be made from it, the bye week would not exist.

SABURZFAN
04-09-2003, 12:00 AM
i think it helps a team if they have numerous injuries.

Dozerdog
04-09-2003, 12:05 AM
I got to rake the leaves on at least one weekend- I'm all for it...

RedEyE
04-09-2003, 02:05 AM
:lol:

Earthquake Enyart
04-09-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I got to rake the leaves on at least one weekend- I'm all for it...

Where's dazy?

Seems to me I remember her raking all the leaves while :bigmike: was in front of the tv.

Bruce is Loose
04-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
Bye Weeks can be overrated at times...but no one wants their bye early or late....we have ours week 4 which i think sux! .....but its better to get it over with so it wont disrupt a momentum if we have one.....I guess it all depends on what point of view you look at it......I guess the question should be.....

Should there even be a Bye week??????

Id think youd want your bye in december since we all know thats when the fins flop anyways. Hell, you'd probably win a week four game!

Dozerdog
04-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Where's dazy?

Seems to me I remember her raking all the leaves while :bigmike: was in front of the tv.

HEY! Somebody has to yell out the window..."You missed one!"

northernbillfan
04-10-2003, 03:27 AM
I'm with Rude in having a week off for the whole league. Or shorten the season and not have a bye week at all.

I also agree, ahem, with Wcoast, a team can lose it's momentum with the bye, and come off the break and start a losing skid.