After watching Welker, can Parrish fill that roll for Bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muestafa1
    • Apr 2003

After watching Welker, can Parrish fill that roll for Bills?

Despite the loss, Wes Welker made some decent plays for the Pats. The screens, crossing patterns (Picks) the Pats ran really helped him out and gave him space to make plays.

All I could think of when I saw Welker making plays, is that the Bills have a short, fast receiver in Roscoe Parrish who is supposed to create the same type of mismatches for opposing defenses. Is Welker that much better of a football player or does it come down to the Pats knowing how to utilize him properly? I think Parrish has faster raw speed, but Welker is one shifty little guy!

Hopefully our new OC will call some plays designed to utilize Parrish's speeed, give him a cushion, and give him some space to rack up yards after the catch. (I know finding another receiving threat in the draft or FA would help open things up for Parrish underneath as well)
  • venis2k1
    Youboty can hope
    • Jul 2002

Re: After watching Welker, can Parrish fill that roll for Bills?

As far as who starts in the slot next year? I guess it comes down to if you think reeds blocking ability outweighs Roscoe's big play ability.

Comment

• yordad
      • Dec 2007

Parrish is faster, and has faster cuts. I believe it is just the Pats utilizing Welker better. Well, that combined with they have a better QB, and Welker actually catches, which Parrish has seemed to have a problem with lately.
      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

Good question.... Unlikely though, Welker is pretty damn good.

Comment

• raphael120
          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
          • Oct 2005

Lesse...Welker is how much bigger than Parrish?

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by raphael120
            Lesse...Welker is how much bigger than Parrish?
            Not much, might even be shorter.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I don't think Roscoe with his small frame can take a hit like Welker can and still hold on to the ball.

I hate Welker just because he's a Pat but damn he's a good football player.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

I don't know if Parrish can be Welker, but he's definitely being under (and mis) used..

How many of us laughed our asses off at NE for giving up a 2nd rounder for him last year? Being utilized correctly means a lot..

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by muestafa1
                  Despite the loss, Wes Welker made some decent plays for the Pats. The screens, crossing patterns (Picks) the Pats ran really helped him out and gave him space to make plays.

All I could think of when I saw Welker making plays, is that the Bills have a short, fast receiver in Roscoe Parrish who is supposed to create the same type of mismatches for opposing defenses. Is Welker that much better of a football player or does it come down to the Pats knowing how to utilize him properly? I think Parrish has faster raw speed, but Welker is one shifty little guy!

Hopefully our new OC will call some plays designed to utilize Parrish's speeed, give him a cushion, and give him some space to rack up yards after the catch. (I know finding another receiving threat in the draft or FA would help open things up for Parrish underneath as well)
                  If we can get an impact WR opposite Evans and a TE that can threaten the middle of the field than Parrish can do very similar things to Welker.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JJamezz
                    I don't know if Parrish can be Welker, but he's definitely being under (and mis) used..

How many of us laughed our asses off at NE for giving up a 2nd rounder for him last year? Being utilized correctly means a lot..
                    You are being under (and mis) used. Where's my highlight films

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

Sadly enough Josh Reed, IMO, is a better poor man's Welker. One of Reeds best traits coming out of college was his ability to run after the catch however he does not seem flashy enough at this level. Blocking wise he is right up there with Welker. If you could combine Parrish speed with Reed's blocking you would have a player better than Welker.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

I still think that Reed is our best all around WR

Comment

• Oaf
                          Do you read what you write?
                          • Jun 2007

Good story of Welker starting as a UDFA KR for the Dolphins and slowly working his way up to 3rd WR to only be shocked by the Pats trade and then getting 100 catches. I always thought he was a threat when we played the Fins back then.

Parrish can be that guy for us. Fairchild just had no clue how to use him. I don't think I saw Parrish once in motion at the snap this year.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Oaf
                            Good story of Welker starting as a UDFA KR for the Dolphins and slowly working his way up to 3rd WR to only be shocked by the Pats trade and then getting 100 catches. I always thought he was a threat when we played the Fins back then.

Parrish can be that guy for us. Fairchild just had no clue how to use him. I don't think I saw Parrish once in motion at the snap this year.
                            Funny thing is, Welker was a freaking beast as a STer in college. In the Devin Hester era of drafting he would have been a 3rd or 4th round pick just on return ability alone.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Welker catches everything and is a better route runner.

I do agree about the theory of Parrish though in that position. Good post.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X