PDA

View Full Version : it must be great to be a real giants fan right now

Meathead
02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
they have arguably two of the three biggest upsets in sb history under their belts. they were huge dogs to both the bills and the cheats and managed to come out on top

i was thrilled as hell because the non-cheats team won. just think how awesome it would be if that was your actual team

i mean you go into the game fully expecting to get plowed. you sit and watch the whole thing. youre on the edge of your seat gnawing at your fingernails until they spew blood

and in the end they pull out the massive miracle

in a way thats even better than being a dominant team and winning cuz its such a surprise. a huge gift you didnt expect

and now theyve done it twice

frankly i cant even imagine it. ive never had a primary professional team win a championship. the closest ive came is the celtics and the blue jays. but i cant say ive been a life long fan of either team, they were sort of just short term love affairs maybe six or eight years each. not like the bills or sabres who have been my teams as long as i can literally remember

sigh

bills&sabresmvf
02-05-2008, 11:52 AM
I have yet to get ahold of my friend. But he has season tickets to the Giants and has had them for years. He's from Buffalo area and drives to all the home games. It's amazing, so a fan like that, you gotta hand him the congratulations...

Jeff1220
02-05-2008, 12:00 PM
i was thrilled as hell because the non-cheats team won. just think how awesome it would be if that was your actual team

I have been saying this since Sunday night. If it feels this good to watch the Pats lose, I can only imagine what euphoria it'll be when the Bills finally win one. This is honestly the best I've ever felt after a SB game was played.

mybills
02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Trust me, it does feel great. I've loved the Giants almost as long as I've loved the Bills.
:couch:

Voltron
02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
they have arguably two of the three biggest upsets in sb history under their belts. they were huge dogs to both the bills and the cheats and managed to come out on top

i mean you go into the game fully expecting to get plowed. you sit and watch the whole thing. youre on the edge of your seat gnawing at your fingernails until they spew blood

in a way thats even better than being a dominant team and winning cuz its such a surprise. a huge gift you didnt expect

and now theyve done it twice

frankly i cant even imagine it. ive never had a primary professional team win a championship. the closest ive came is the celtics and the blue jays. but i cant say ive been a life long fan of either team, they were sort of just short term love affairs maybe six or eight years each. not like the bills or sabres who have been my teams as long as i can literally remember

sigh
All The Giants fans I know had no doubt that the Giants were going to win. I told them they were dreaming ... boy did I have a big plate of crow to eat on monday. :sigh:

mybills
02-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I doubted the officiating. :ill: But they did a pretty good job this time.

gr8slayer
Trust me, it does feel great. I've loved the Giants almost as long as I've loved the Bills.
:couch:
You're a horrible Bills fan.

Voltron
I have had 2 of my life long teams get championships. The Red Sox World Series wins have been awesome but nothing tops when Syracuse Mens Basketball won the Tournament. If the Bills were to win the SB I think it would top that but not by much.

mybills
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
You're a horrible Bills fan.
How?
I do love the Giants..just not as much as I love the Bills.

gr8slayer
02-05-2008, 12:55 PM
How?
I do love the Giants..just not as much as I love the Bills.
I was mocking the way you feel about me having the Cowboys as my second team.

mybills
02-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Actually, I understand it more than FuntimesYaY liking the Browns equally as the Bills. :dizzy:

gr8slayer
02-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Actually, I understand it more than FuntimesYaY liking the Browns equally as the Bills. :dizzy:
I don't like the Cowboys equally as the Bills though :up:

Bills>Cowboys>everyone else.

mybills
02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't like the Cowboys equally as the Bills though :up:

Bills>Cowboys>everyone else.
Yeah, that's why I understand it. Not to mention, the Giants and Cowboys are NFC teams. But to like the Bills and Browns...I don't get it.

TacklingDummy
02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
F the NJ Giants

:monkeyp: NJ Giants

gr8slayer
02-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah, that's why I understand it. Not to mention, the Giants and Cowboys are NFC teams. But to like the Bills and Browns...I don't get it.
I kind of like the Titans too :idunno:

I just like the NFL period, I'll watch and root for any team.

mybills
:Monkeypiss: Tackling Dummy

gr8slayer
F the NJ Giants

:monkeyp: NJ Giants
I wonder if they really get pissed being called the NJ Giants :snicker:

Meathead
02-05-2008, 03:53 PM
nothing tops when Syracuse Mens Basketball won the Tournament.
oh yeah i forgot about cuse but they were another temporary love affair for me at the time it was great but my interest faded over time after that

Meathead
02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
This is honestly the best I've ever felt after a SB game was played.
yeah me too

and just imagine the way theyve won their last two, as huge underdogs. i dont care what any fan in that situation says they are either lying or deluded if they really expected to win. thats just crazy. you play that game a hundred times, either in the bills or the cheats sbs, and they probably come out on time five times, 1 out of 20. just look at the talent on the teams they played against, they were massively overmatched both times. theres just no way you can predict that

iow, if youre a huge favorite and you win its great but its sort of ho hum great. if you win as a huge dog its like getting back the girl you thought for sure you lost

Voltron
02-05-2008, 05:16 PM
oh yeah i forgot about cuse but they were another temporary love affair for me at the time it was great but my interest faded over time after that

I can understand that.

I lived in the City of Syracuse when it happened so it really felt like being a part of it.

gr8slayer
02-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Was that really that big of a deal up there?

Voltron
02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Was that really that big of a deal up there?
The entire bar area around the college was closed to traffic, Like 10 full blocks! It was pandemonium baby! The entire street where all this happened was shoulder to shoulder standing room only.

gr8slayer
02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
The entire bar area around the college was closed to traffic, Like 10 full blocks! It was pandemonium baby! The entire street where all this happened was shoulder to shoulder standing room only.
Crazy man, didn't know Syracuse was such a big deal.

And here I thought YardRat was their only fan.

Nighthawk
02-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I would love to know what it feels like before I die. Can we please get an owner that gives a f**k about winning a championship in Buffalo? I'd take a championship in hockey or football...PLEASE!!!!

gr8slayer
02-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I would love to know what it feels like before I die. Can we please get an owner that gives a f**k about winning a championship in Buffalo? I'd take a championship in hockey or football...PLEASE!!!!
My fear is that the team won't be around long enough to win one :ill:

Though, if we pull an NYG in the next couple of years and win a championship it will save our team and the city.

Nighthawk
02-05-2008, 09:27 PM
My fear is that the team won't be around long enough to win one :ill:

Though, if we pull an NYG in the next couple of years and win a championship it will save our team and the city.

I don't believe this team will leave without a BIG fight by this city. However, it is a possibility. I'd just like to see an effort made at actually winning more than 7 games...I always thought the goal of each team was to win the SB, but this organization makes me wonder. I truly believe that Ralphy only cares about padding his pockets (and don't be fooled, that is what he is doing) than winning a SB. It's actually pretty sad.

gr8slayer
02-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't believe this team will leave without a BIG fight by this city. However, it is a possibility. I'd just like to see an effort made at actually winning more than 7 games...I always thought the goal of each team was to win the SB, but this organization makes me wonder. I truly believe that Ralphy only cares about padding his pockets (and don't be fooled, that is what he is doing) than winning a SB. It's actually pretty sad.
You're preaching to the choir in regards to your opinion of Ralph.

losman420
02-05-2008, 11:21 PM

in a way thats even better than being a dominant team and winning cuz its such a surprise. a huge gift you didnt expect.

sighI think the closest i have come to that feeling was the second half of the the 92 wild card game between the Bills and Oilers.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Before the Bills existed, Buffalo would get either NY Giants games or Cleveland Browns games on TV--and most of the folks in my neighborhood supported either one or the other. My Dad was a Giants fan. The first game that I can remember watching on TV was the 1958 NFL Championship game--I was 5 years old. I cried when the Giants lost.

My Dad and I immediately became Bills fans when the team was formed, but I never lost my affection for the Giants. I wanted to grow up to be a player like Frank Gifford until Tom Sestak came along and became my hero.

As I grew up I continued to follow both teams. I always knew that I was more of a Bills fan than a Giants fan, but that never became more clear than during Super Bowl XXV. Before the game, I kind of thought that it would be a "no lose" situation: after all, either way one of my two favorite teams was going to win, right? Wrong.

I watched the game with a friend of mine who grew up a Giants fan in NYC who I had turned into a Bills fan as well when he lived in our basement apartment. The Giants were still his first team, but the Bills were his second favorite team and, like me, he approached the game as if it would be a "no lose" situation for him as well. But, then, the game started.

It was probably the most difficult game that I ever had to watch. By the second half, he was screaming for the Giants and I was screaming for the Bills on every play. Then came Norwood's missed FG: I was crushed--absolutely crushed. While a part of me was glad that, if the Bills had to lose it was to the Giants, but that didn't make the fact that the Bills lost any better--even though my buddy was a VERY gracious winner and not only didn't gloat, but tried to console me. That's when I knew, without a doubt, just how much I really cared about the Bills and how much I wanted them to win more than anything else.

But, because it was the Giants who had won, at least I recovered: the losses to Washington and, then, Dallas--teams I absolutely despise--had me in such a bad mood that NOBODY, not even my wife, dared to talk to me until the middle of the next day!

Still, when they are not playing the Bills, I still root for the Giants to win all of their games and follow the team to a much lesser extent than I follow the Bills. After the last game of the season against the Pats, I felt that the Giants had a chance to win each of their subsequent games, but that doing so would depend entirely on whether Eli Manning could play as well as he had against the Pats and not the way that he had played for most of the season. And, based on his previous history, I honestly wasn't sure that he could. I hoped he could, but I wasn't sure (when would his magic carpet ride end?).

I watched the game with another friend who lives in our house who is also a Giants fan. I would have rooted for just about ANY team against the Pats, but I wanted the Giants to win so bad! I kept trying to stay calm, to no avail. As the Pats were driving for the score that put them on top in the fourth quarter, we were exhorting the Giants D-line to "Get on him! Get on him!" At that point, I told my friend that I had the feeling that, "one of these two quarterbacks is going to come out of this game as a legend", but that I didn't know which one it would be because, to me, T.Brady is like D.Marino: if he has the ball with a chance to take the lead late in a game, you'd better be worried because there's a good chance he will get the score that he needs and I didn't know if Eli could match that if he did.

Well, you want to talk about screaming and jumping up and down? When Moss just missed catching Brady's 3rd down throw and then Brady missed with his 4th down pass, my buddy and I just shot out of our seats with joy. But, as happy as I was, as we were celebrating, I couldn't help thinking how much happier I would be if it were the Bills instead of the Giants who had just won the Super Bowl.

When they announced the time that the Giants' victory parade would start on the local news, my wife asked me if I wanted to go to it. Because it would be rather difficult for me to get there on my own and especially to stand out on the street waiting for the parade, I told her, no, I would stay home and watch the parade on TV. But, then, I immediately made her promise that she would make sure to get me to Buffalo, "even if I have to be taken off my dying bed, drooling, and put in a wheel-chair to get me there", if the Bills ever win a Super Bowl while I am still alive!

I have to admit that it was great to watch the Giants victory parade up the "Canyon of Heroes" on Tuesday--I'm sorry, but no city can throw a ticker-tape parade as well as NYC can (no burned cars, no violence in the streets after the game, just a great party for people of every description that you can imagine, all having fun and cheering for their team). Still, as I sat there watching the parade and the out-pouring of joy on the part of all of the fans, I couldn't help thinking just how much greater the joy and the out-pouring of emotion will be in Buffalo when the Bills finally win the Lombardi Trophy. And, it was that thought, that gave me goose-bumps!

For me, it's great that the Giants won. So sweet that they beat the "invincible" Patriots! (Oh God, can you imagine all of the vomit-inducing hype that we would have had to put up with had the Pats won? It would have continued all the way into next season, non-stop, until someone finally beat them--UUUGGGGHHHH!!!) But, it's not even CLOSE to how good it will be when the Bills win it all!!!

Bert102176
02-06-2008, 07:28 AM
their my 2nd fav team behind the Bills of course and it's damn nice to se a team I like win something

mybills
02-06-2008, 08:11 AM
As I grew up I continued to follow both teams. I always knew that I was more of a Bills fan than a Giants fan, but that never became more clear than during Super Bowl XXV. Before the game, I kind of thought that it would be a "no lose" situation: after all, either way one of my two favorite teams was going to win, right? Wrong.

I watched the game with a friend of mine who grew up a Giants fan in NYC who I had turned into a Bills fan as well when he lived in our basement apartment. The Giants were still his first team, but the Bills were his second favorite team and, like me, he approached the game as if it would be a "no lose" situation for him as well. But, then, the game started.

It was probably the most difficult game that I ever had to watch. By the second half, he was screaming for the Giants and I was screaming for the Bills on every play. Then came Norwood's missed FG: I was crushed--absolutely crushed. While a part of me was glad that, if the Bills had to lose it was to the Giants, but that didn't make the fact that the Bills lost any better--even though my buddy was a VERY gracious winner and not only didn't gloat, but tried to console me. That's when I knew, without a doubt, just how much I really cared about the Bills and how much I wanted them to win more than anything else.

But, because it was the Giants who had won, at least I recovered: the losses to Washington and, then, Dallas--teams I absolutely despise--had me in such a bad mood that NOBODY, not even my wife, dared to talk to me until the middle of the next day!

Still, when they are not playing the Bills, I still root for the Giants to win

You have just summed up my exact feelings in a nutshell.
Before there was a Boston team, Giants were the team most rooted for around here. Many Giants fans from back then, became NE fans in recent years. (Gee, I wonder why) but even those I've spoken with (5+ years older than me) said they would never stop liking the Giants...so for them, it was a win-win, much like you and me, re SBXXV.
I'm just so thrilled that the team they beat this time, was a team from the bottom of my :respect:list.