PDA

View Full Version : Can Steve Slaton be a WR in the NFL?

User Manuel
02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I am looking for your insight.

Also, if Mendenhall is available in round 3 would you grab him?

mysticsoto
02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I am looking for your insight.

Also, if Mendenhall is available in round 3 would you grab him?

In terms of the Bills, Slaton is only 5'10" and would be a relatively short WR. The WR draft list is so deep, that Slaton trying to move into that list would just get lost in the crowd. He is better off remaining listed as a RB.

Mendenhall doesn't offer us anything that we need, so I do not grab a RB under any circumstances. If there's one position that we are good in, it's RB.

We have a pretty deep list at WR and should be able to grab 1 or 2 prospects that are viable for our team.

T-Long
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Slaton will be a good WR in the NFL. His return skills are unreal. He'll be an upgraded Roscoe Parrish, both as a WR and returner. Some mocks have us taking him, but I think that would be a mistake. We don't need another short fast WR, we need a 6'4 225lb receiver to stretch the field and really keep the defense aware of not only him, but Lee Evans at the same time.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2008, 06:08 AM
IMHO the RB class is SO deep this year--and there are other positions that are so thin that teams are likely to use higher picks at those positions to insure that they get one of the better prospects at those positions--that there is a pretty good chance that there are going to be some pretty good RBs who will fall in this draft, even perhaps as far as the 4th or 5th round, who would go in the first two rounds in other years.

If that happens AND the Bills decide that D.Wright can convert to FB (to bback-up and/or challenge D.Barnes at that position), I could see the Bills taking a RB, like a S.Slaton or R.Rice, if he falls far enough that he is clearly the BPA on the board, say in Round 4 or Round 5.

Now, I'm not saying that they should go into the draft targeting a RB. Nor am I saying that someone of that quality will necessarily fall that far. But, what I am saying is that, IF someone of that ability falls into the 4th round and is sitting there, I would not be upset if they were to take him there if they feel that Wright can make the move to FB.

I think many of us are looking at the Bills taking a FB in the later rounds (5th through 7th), with D.Wright remaining as the # 3 RB. But, if the Bills can add a RB who can be a real threat when he touches the ball--and perhaps replace McGee and/or Parrish in the return game--to replace Wright as the # 3 RB and move Wright to FB, I think that, even if they had to go for him a round or two before they would take a FB, the trade-off would be worth it. But, it would have to be a RB who has the potential to be a real weapon.

DraftBoy
02-06-2008, 08:00 AM
A guy I wouldn't mind adding as a HR threat late would be Chris Johnson from ECU, runs reportedly in the low 4.3 to 4.29 range.