PDA

View Full Version : Here is a new one, the Bills taking a QB in the 1st

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-05-2008, 07:54 PM
http://thebeardown.blogspot.com/2008/01/quick-draft-update.html

Now at 11 Buffalo is also licking it's chops at a top QB that didn't look to be available, Losman even said he wants out of Buffalo and I don't think Trent Edwards is the future. So Brohm and Woodson are available here. I think Brohm has the edge right now but all of that could change going into the combines. Maybe Woodson moves ahead, maybe Brennan surprises a lot of people, maybe Dennis Dixon still interests, but Brian Brohm should be the pick here.

1. Miami - Glenn Dorsey, DT - LSU
2. St. Louis - Chris Long, DE - Virginia
3. Atlanta - Darren McFadden, RB - Arkansas
4. Oakland - Sedrick Ellis, DT - USC
5. KC - Jake Long, OT - Michigan
6. NYJ - Ryan Clady, OT - Boise State
7. New England - Dan Connor, LB - Penn State
8. Baltimore - Matt Ryan, QB - Boston College
9. Cincinnati - Vernon Gholston, DE - Ohio State
10. New Orleans - Mike Jenkins, S - South Florida
11. Buffalo - Brian Brohm, QB - Louisville
12. Denver - Kenny Phillips, S - Miami
13. Carolina - Andre Woodson, QB - Kentucky

I can't see it, ever.

hydro
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
:rofl: This must have been done by djjimkelly....

Oh wait, the grammer is too good. Maybe not then. :snicker:

TigerJ
02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I saw that. Some people really have no clue.

Nighthawk
02-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Never will happen.

gr8slayer
02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Not this year, if Edwards doesn't improve this year I could see it next year.

Jaybird
02-05-2008, 09:40 PM
u f-in crazy. no chance we take a Qb, why do so many people say such stupid things

gr8slayer
02-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I could see us taking a QB in the draft in the later rounds, why not?

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2008, 05:52 AM
I could see us taking a QB in the draft in the later rounds, why not?

I think that the odds are pretty good that we take a QB in the later rounds (5th-7th), but NOT with the 11th pick in the first round!!!

When you start to read a lot of these draft sites, you find out that there are more than a few out there with people who have no clue about the needs of half of the teams in the league or what their FOs are likely to do.

Confused
02-06-2008, 06:05 AM
uhhhhh, nope.

DraftBoy
02-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Anytime after Round 3 we could potentially be looking at QB

gr8slayer
02-06-2008, 08:15 AM
I think that the odds are pretty good that we take a QB in the later rounds (5th-7th), but NOT with the 11th pick in the first round!!!

When you start to read a lot of these draft sites, you find out that there are more than a few out there with people who have no clue about the needs of half of the teams in the league or what their FOs are likely to do.
That's what I'm saying. I've actually had two different NFL HC's tell me that you should take a QB every year. Obviously they meant late in the draft.

ParanoidAndroid
02-06-2008, 12:51 PM
:rofl: This must have been done by djjimkelly....

Oh wait, the grammer is too good. Maybe not then. :snicker:

You might want to run a spelling check if you're going to pick on someone's grammar skills.

PECKERWOOD
02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
We are almosted guaranteed a decent QB if we take Brohm to compete with Edwards!

patmoran2006
02-08-2008, 04:45 PM
If I saw this after week 3 I'd say hell ya.

But I seen enough in Edwards.. We are NOT drafting a QB.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 04:46 PM
If I saw this after week 3 I'd say hell ya.

But I seen enough in Edwards.. We are NOT drafting a QB.
You're one of the few my friend, he has a LONG way to go in my eyes.

hydro
02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
You might want to run a spelling check if you're going to pick on someone's grammar skills.
I know how to spell it but always make that mistake. But there is no comparison between my grammar skills and his though.

Devin
02-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I will say this I dont believe it will happen.

That said its not as far fetched as you think. Ingtar and I had a great exchange about this a few months back. I asked him about our QB situation and the possibility of drafting a guy like Brohm/Ryan/Woodson.

While he didnt get into the scouting or talents of the three he made some great points, the biggest being that quite simply it will come down to how good the staff at OBD thinks Edwards can be. That is to say, if Edwards will be just an adequate to decent starter its not far fetched to believe that a QB could be drafted early.

The general consensus is that TE is the best QB on our roster, likely true. However the ultimate decision lies with how high its believed his ceiling is.

TE, i like what i see from him more then I've liked what I've seen from Losman. Now, remember, this is coming from an ex-D1 QB, an ex-big ten OC, ex pro-scout, and a Head Coach.

Now, as i said in a post just this week, that in no way means that TE will make the leap and be a great NFL QB, i just think he's a better QB at this point in his career then Losman is.

so short answer... he's the best QB on the team, and regardless what happens the rest of the way (in terms of W-L) I firmly believe it.

As to who I'd like to see us draft... this one is a little harder. I think a lot hinges on how the season ends up. If we lose out, TE doesn't really look any better, and JP comes in and stink the place up, I'm going with a QB in round one. In fact, TE could progress, and we still lose out the season with a top 10 pick, I'll still say take a QB.

While I dont think its likely, and neither of us is necessarily suggesting it happens, the case can in fact be made. Whether you look at it this way, whether you look back to 06 and simply believe the Bills dont make the same mistake twice.

Regardless.

Im just saying its not a crazy scenario. While you can argue we have more pressing needs, we dont. Sorting out our QB situation (whether its with Edwards or not) is absolutley most critical.

And for the record he went on to say if we didnt get a QB that WLB, DL, CB were next in importance. Given Ingtar knows more about football then the collective of this forum combined, I dont feel bad in campaigning for Rivers lol.

X-Era
02-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I will say this I dont believe it will happen.

That said its not as far fetched as you think. Ingtar and I had a great exchange about this a few months back. I asked him about our QB situation and the possibility of drafting a guy like Brohm/Ryan/Woodson.

While he didnt get into the scouting or talents of the three he made some great points, the biggest being that quite simply it will come down to how good the staff at OBD thinks Edwards can be. That is to say, if Edwards will be just an adequate to decent starter its not far fetched to believe that a QB could be drafted early.

The general consensus is that TE is the best QB on our roster, likely true. However the ultimate decision lies with how high its believed his ceiling is.

While I dont think its likely, and neither of us is necessarily suggesting it happens, the case can in fact be made. Whether you look at it this way, whether you look back to 06 and simply believe the Bills dont make the same mistake twice.

Regardless.

Im just saying its not a crazy scenario. While you can argue we have more pressing needs, we dont. Sorting out our QB situation (whether its with Edwards or not) is absolutley most critical.

And for the record he went on to say if we didnt get a QB that WLB, DL, CB were next in importance. Given Ingtar knows more about football then the collective of this forum combined, I dont feel bad in campaigning for Rivers lol.

To seem a bit non-commital at this point:

Keith Rivers represents (to me) what Takeo Spikes hsould have been. He makes a big impact against the rush, pass, and pass rushing day one. No other defensive player likely to be available at 11 will make as much of an impact on D for us IMO. That includes CB and Ellis at DT. Id love to land Ellis but since hes a rotational DT, his play time as less and I think Rivers would make more fo a difference.

Im whittling down to a few players at 11 that I would like. Keith Rivers, Malcolm Kelly, Vernon Gholston, or Sedrick Ellis. I then would like a move up from the 2nd or 3rd for Rodgers Cromartie. I think He ends up going late 1st early 2nd when all is said and done.

Devin
02-08-2008, 09:12 PM
To seem a bit non-commital at this point:

Keith Rivers represents (to me) what Takeo Spikes hsould have been. He makes a big impact against the rush, pass, and pass rushing day one. No other defensive player likely to be available at 11 will make as much of an impact on D for us IMO. That includes CB and Ellis at DT. Id love to land Ellis but since hes a rotational DT, his play time as less and I think Rivers would make more fo a difference.

Im whittling down to a few players at 11 that I would like. Keith Rivers, Malcolm Kelly, Vernon Gholston, or Sedrick Ellis. I then would like a move up from the 2nd or 3rd for Rodgers Cromartie. I think He ends up going late 1st early 2nd when all is said and done.

as of now I couldnt agree more.

Ellis/Rivers and then being able to pick up DRC....id be thrilled with that.

Course all that said, it would be under the assumption this inept front office has picked up AT LEAST 1 offensive player at either the TE/WR positions.

TigerJ
02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Not this year, if Edwards doesn't improve this year I could see it next year.Yeah, if Edwards flops, all bets are off in '09.

TigerJ
02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
We are almosted guaranteed a decent QB if we take Brohm to compete with Edwards!
But then it leaves another need unmet.

TigerJ
02-08-2008, 10:01 PM
That's what I'm saying. I've actually had two different NFL HC's tell me that you should take a QB every year. Obviously they meant late in the draft.

In general, that's probably not a bad idea. I'm assuming Losman will be traded to accomodate his wishes, and the fact that he could become poison in the lockerroom if he remains. However, I also assume Buffalo is going to add a veteran backup. With Edwards at age 24 and Hamdan at age 27 (as of today) the Bills will have plenty of youth at QB, and not much experience assuming Losman is traded. You and INgtar) are right in that if the Bills have real doubts about Edwards' ability to continue getting better, they could draft a QB early, but it sure looks like a low priority to me at the moment.

gr8slayer
02-09-2008, 12:15 AM
In general, that's probably not a bad idea. I'm assuming Losman will be traded to accomodate his wishes, and the fact that he could become poison in the lockerroom if he remains. However, I also assume Buffalo is going to add a veteran backup. With Edwards at age 24 and Hamdan at age 27 (as of today) the Bills will have plenty of youth at QB, and not much experience assuming Losman is traded. You and INgtar) are right in that if the Bills have real doubts about Edwards' ability to continue getting better, they could draft a QB early, but it sure looks like a low priority to me at the moment.
I understand optimism, especially when a team has been as bad as Buffalo has been for the past decade but some people are just unrealistic. Edwards came in and did nothing to prove that he is anymore deserving of being named the permanent starter as the next guy. In fact, I would argue that the coaching staff actually hurt his progress by making him play his rookie year.

I understand the argument with his W/L record but that is somewhat deceiving when you consider the fact that none of those teams were winning teams. I think we can all agree that Miami was by far the worst team in the league last season, take away his game vs. Miami and he's the worst QB in the league from a statistical stand point.

I'm not saying that it's totally his fault, I mean let's be honest, we don't have a single all-star on our offense that can help Edwards get out of a tight situation. Lynch is the closest thing we have but he can't touch the ball every down. Evans is a great deep threat and has world class speed but he's simply not big enough to go across the middle and can't really out jump too many CB's for poorly thrown balls. He also seemed to develop a case of the drops at the worst times this past season. Parrish to this point is just Parrish, he obviously has some amazing natural skills but there's obviously something the staff doesn't like about him or they would utilize those skills more often. TE's are the joke of the league and our OL is still pretty average.

I'm willing to give Edwards another year and I hope that he really comes out and proves me wrong, but until I see something I'm honestly not impressed and I really hope we bring in another bigger name QB (maybe Ainge) who can bring out the competitor in Trent. Maybe he needs a fire lit under his ass.

gr8slayer
02-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Is there a bigger need for any team than QB?

Devin
02-09-2008, 02:12 AM
which was the point of my post lol. I agree.

TigerJ
02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Is there a bigger need for any team than QB?
It all comes down to the assessment the Bills have made of Trent Edwards to this point. He's not going to be playing any games, or even going through any team drills between now and the draft. All he's going to have is offseason conditioning. So the team will have to make its judgement based on what it has already seen. The impression we've gotten is that they like Trent Edwards, but maybe they aren't telling us everything. If the Bills are pretty confident he's going to turn into a solid QB, they aren't going to draft a QB on day one. If they aren't, so confident there's a good chance they will draft a QB on day one of the draft. On day two, they won't draft based on confidence or lack thereof in Trent. On day two it becomes a matter of value. If the Bills think a QB has dropped whom they really like, they may draft him. If they don't think so, then I don't think they will feel any urgency to draft one at all since the only obvious need at QB is probably going to be an experienced backup.

PECKERWOOD
02-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't mind competition for Edwards. I learned to not let emotions get in the way of business from the JP Losman debacle.. Man, I thought he was it for awhile there!! HAHAHAHAA

PECKERWOOD
02-09-2008, 05:39 PM

QB outweigh's MOST needs. A Great QB behind an average OL makes the OL look solid, along with the recievers.

Night Train
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
The only QB I like is Josh Johnson of San Diego. Round 4 or 5 Draft Boy ? I'd be thrilled to get him.

PECKERWOOD
02-09-2008, 09:48 PM
The only QB I like is Josh Johnson of San Diego. Round 4 or 5 Draft Boy ? I'd be thrilled to get him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take a chance on him in the 2nd.. He will definately be gone by the start of the 4th.

I want Ray Rice in the 3rd though!