PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Teams who should trade for Shockey

DraftBoy
02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=347933

1. Bills. A young quarterback's best friend is a top tight end -- just ask Philip Rivers, Derek Anderson or Tony Romo. Trent Edwards already has an explosive running back in Marshawn Lynch and a big-play wideout in Lee Evans. Shockey would help all three of those men be more productive, demanding attention over the middle to open up the rest of the field. He also would be embraced as a superstar quickly by a blue-collar fan base in another part of New York.

YardRat
02-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Isn't it ironic that Eli 'came to age' while Shockey was out of the line-up?

DraftBoy
02-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Isn't it ironic that Eli 'came to age' while Shockey was out of the line-up?

Define came to age, he played in 14 games last year and had a pretty good year as a TE before getting hurt

patmoran2006
02-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I'd love to have him, but it will never happen.

He'd never come here anyway.. The kind of guy he is, he would HATE Buffalo.

Confused
02-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd would be nice. for the sake of speculation, what do you think it would take to get him here? Swap No1's? our 2nd? JP?(lol)

Night Train
02-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Shockey ejoys

1. IR
2. Running his mouth.
3. Making way too much $$ for too little return ( 6 Mil cap figure )

What is " No way in hell " Alex..

gr8slayer
02-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Never going to happen.

YardRat
02-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Define came to age, he played in 14 games last year and had a pretty good year as a TE before getting hurt

CW from the talking heads have pretty much defined Eli's 'emergence' as coming during the last couple of games of the regular season and throughout the playoffs. I'd take Boss...Let someone else trade for the head-ache.

Confused
02-06-2008, 06:30 PM
The acticle is right tho. edwards did utilize his TE's alot last year. A playmaker at tight end is always good. Can we draft a bigger playmaker at that position this year for as much or less than what we'd have to give up to get Shockey to come here? Is Fred Davis that guy? Bennett?

Jayhawk
02-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I'd take MArtellus Bennett over this guy

FlyingDutchman
02-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Hes too much of a mouth and ego for a young QB.

Mitchy moo
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
It would shock me if we got shockey.

jimbo
02-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I dont want Shockey in Buffalo, period. I dont like him. Yes were not a great team, but lets not become a team that takes on guys like Shockey. Ive been proud of the way this team has conducted themselves lately after all you hear about Tank Johnson, half the Bunguls, etc. I dont know about you but as much as I like winning I want to see a likeable team win. You can build and win without signing morons like Chad Johnson, TO, cancers period.

good points guys.

Shockey is a gamble. There is no telling the future. Likewise there is no way of knowing how Shockey comes off a broken leg. Yes he has been a great talent but its (as the 07 Giants just proved) great teams or the old cliche "defense wins championships" that win champions not individual talent. There is no doubt Buffalo needs a TE who can make big plays for this team, especially for our young QB. If we go with Trent, which I havent heard anything to the contrary, he is an investment, why not invest in a young TE to grow with Trent. And someone who can BLOCK! Id take an old school blocking tight end with productive passing numbers over a TE who thinks he's a WR anyday. We already have talent however undersized at the WR position. If we pick up a big-physical WR with Lee Evans and company we have the talent to win.

Shockey would not fit in with this team. Make him a Dolphin Parcells. Then I will enjoy sweeping the fish next year all the more so.

clumping platelets
02-06-2008, 10:31 PM
He'll end up in Miami

LifetimeBillsFan
02-07-2008, 03:15 AM
I don't believe that the Bills would be interested in Shockey for many reasons, but, if you just look at his play, I don't think that they would consider him a good fit in their offense.

The Bills want their TEs to be blockers, first, then receivers. Shockey has never been a good blocker--that's why, in recent years, the Giants have always had a good blocking TE (the kid with the funny name that escapes me right now who just left as a FA and K.Boss) that they could use instead of Shockey in key running situations.

One of the reasons that people in the NYC media are talking about the Giants being better after Boss replaced Shockey is that their running game really took off after Boss became the starting TE--which was critical to their success and helped E.Manning play better--and they didn't lose that much in the passing game with Boss replacing Shockey.

Even though F.Davis, M.Rucker and some of the other top TE prospects in this draft aren't known for being very good blockers, there is always hope with a rookie that you can teach him to become a better blocker. That's not going to happen with a veteran player like Shockey who is known to have a considerable ego.

As a result, I think that the Bills would be inclined to pass on Shockey and prefer to take a kid who is closer in age to their young core of players and hope that he can learn to be a better blocker in over the course of next season. They still have Royal to use as a blocking TE who can be a mentor to a rookie TE while he develops his blocking and they can still use the rookie to give them some plays in the passing game without losing anything in the run game. With Shockey, he'd have to be on the field most of the time or they'd be risking problems that they don't want in the lockerroom.

The King
02-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Id like to see Teyo in camp before trading for a TE

Romes
02-07-2008, 07:13 AM
I'd like to grab a TE that slipped into the 3rd/4th round before trading for one.

BlackMetalNinja
02-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Does anybody else ever find it hilarious that so many people ***** and complain that the Bills never seriously go after any big name talents... And then many people ***** when a big name talent possibly going to Buffalo is brought up because they don't like that player or think he's not a high character person?

What do fans of this team really want? I can't ever tell anymore... well, other than something to ***** about I guess.

don137
02-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Schockey is the TE's version of McGahee but with a bigger mouth. The guy is a cancer. From what I heard he was bitter that the Giants were doing well without him in the lineup and he wasn't even planning on attending the Super Bowl game (he committed to attend TO's party) but I guess he received enough flack to attend the game. He is the type of player that wants the limelight. He would never be happy in Buffalo. Let him be some other team's cancer.

The King
02-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Schockey is the TE's version of McGahee but with a bigger mouth. The guy is a cancer. From what I heard he was bitter that the Giants were doing well without him in the lineup and he wasn't even planning on attending the Super Bowl game (he committed to attend TO's party) but I guess he received enough flack to attend the game. He is the type of player that wants the limelight. He would never be happy in Buffalo. Let him be some other team's cancer.

I agree with all of this... I am all for picking up an elite player with questionable character but not at TE its just not smart.

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Does anybody else ever find it hilarious that so many people ***** and complain that the Bills never seriously go after any big name talents... And then many people ***** when a big name talent possibly going to Buffalo is brought up because they don't like that player or think he's not a high character person?

What do fans of this team really want? I can't ever tell anymore... well, other than something to ***** about I guess.
I don't think that anyone would seriously be pissed off if we landed Shockey, I think it's more the fact that there's not a chance in hell Wilson would sign someone with elite talent because that's just not what he does.

User Manuel
02-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I like him and I wouldn't mind the Bills signing him. As for his mouth, it would be refreshing to have someone intersting in town, even if just for a bit.

That being said, I think he will be a Dolphin.

The Jokeman
02-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Perhaps the article was more of an indication that we need a receiving threat at the TE position to compliment Lee Evans and Marshawyn Lynch. Personally I can't stand Shockey's antics off the field but on the field he's just what we need. Which means instead we'll get someone like LJ Smith or Eric Johnson, who are good but not Shockey good.

ptd86
02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Or we could just draft dustin keller from purdue and call it a day, hes a beast

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 02:09 PM
THANK YOU!

I posted something similar to this the day after the Super Bowl and every balked at the idea.

Plain and simple, regardless of how you feel about Shockey, the guy is a player and will only better this team.

Just imagine the headaches he will cause defenses. Opposing defenses will have a very difficult time covering Shockey and Evans downfield.

He's worth every penny too. The guy has mounted over 4K yards and 27 TDs in just 3 years.

Drafting a TE would have the Bills gambling on yet another draft pick waiting for him to "come into his own".

Shockey=instant improvement.

Now tell me again why he wouldn't be good for this team.

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I dont want Shockey in Buffalo, period. I dont like him. Yes were not a great team, but lets not become a team that takes on guys like Shockey. Ive been proud of the way this team has conducted themselves lately after all you hear about Tank Johnson, half the Bunguls, etc. I dont know about you but as much as I like winning I want to see a likeable team win. You can build and win without signing morons like Chad Johnson, TO, cancers period.

good points guys.

Shockey is a gamble. There is no telling the future. Likewise there is no way of knowing how Shockey comes off a broken leg. Yes he has been a great talent but its (as the 07 Giants just proved) great teams or the old cliche "defense wins championships" that win champions not individual talent. There is no doubt Buffalo needs a TE who can make big plays for this team, especially for our young QB. If we go with Trent, which I havent heard anything to the contrary, he is an investment, why not invest in a young TE to grow with Trent. And someone who can BLOCK! Id take an old school blocking tight end with productive passing numbers over a TE who thinks he's a WR anyday. We already have talent however undersized at the WR position. If we pick up a big-physical WR with Lee Evans and company we have the talent to win.

Shockey would not fit in with this team. Make him a Dolphin Parcells. Then I will enjoy sweeping the fish next year all the more so.

How is he a gamble? Show me another possible available TE out there that has his kind of stats in 3 years running.

Drafting a TE is a gamble. Trading for an established playmaker is ideal.

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 02:14 PM
CW from the talking heads have pretty much defined Eli's 'emergence' as coming during the last couple of games of the regular season and throughout the playoffs. I'd take Boss...Let someone else trade for the head-ache.

I would as well, but when it comes down to money and position, Boss is going to win that contest in NY hands down. The Giants would rather keep the rookie and his paycheck then pay Shockey's price tag. No loss to them = our gain.

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 02:16 PM
THANK YOU!

You're welcome!

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 02:19 PM

I do. Its ridiculous.

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 02:21 PM

And what is this based on..speculation? I'll admit that he talks the talk but he also walks the walk. This is football and Shockey is the type of player that will hit guys in the mouth. This team has been too pussified for too long. Its time to man up and get some TALENT on this team.

Ickybaluky
02-07-2008, 02:27 PM
How is he a gamble? Show me another possible available TE out there that has his kind of stats in 3 years running.

There is no denying the guy is talented, but he probably would have to go to a veteran team with strong leadership and an established QB. But if Trent Edwards is your future do you want to bring in Shockey and have him calling for the ball constantly, and *****ing when he doesn't get it?

Personally, I don't think the Giants end up trading him. He is too talented and is coming off an injury, which hurts his value. He has never made it through a season without being hurt. Eli is more established now that he has a pelt in his belt, so he might have the cache' to handle Shockey now. Shockey now has to prove he fits in there, so he might not be as big a problem. He's been humbled.

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 02:34 PM
There is no denying the guy is talented, but he probably would have to go to a veteran team with strong leadership and an established QB. But if Trent Edwards is your future do you want to bring in Shockey and have him calling for the ball constantly, and *****ing when he doesn't get it?

Personally, I don't think the Giants end up trading him. He is too talented and is coming off an injury, which hurts his value. He has never made it through a season without being hurt. Eli is more established now that he has a pelt in his belt, so he might have the cache' to handle Shockey now. Shockey now has to prove he fits in there, so he might not be as big a problem. He's been humbled.

There's no proof that Eli improved because Shockey was off the field. That could be purely coincidental. I think Edwards is mentally tougher then he's been given credit for here and I think that's ultimately what needs to be focused on, not Shockey and his attitude.

Is he a livewire with a certain degree of spark that needs special handling, I can probably admit to that. Problem is that the Bills can't focus on that. They also can't afford for him to sign to another division rival either.

Its been too long since this team has been QUALIFIED at TE. If Shockey becomes available, I can't see how they just ignore him unless he openly debates being sent to Buffalo.

Confused
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Id like to see Teyo in camp before trading for a TE

I wouldnt get your hopes up on this guy. I may be quick to judge, but I'll file him under "never lived up to the hype" and futhermore is a SAD, SAD reminder of how personel is brought in here in buffalo. lets try to make the playoffs by consistantly signing people( aka garbage) off WAIVERS!!!! This guy never amounted to jack **** on the teams he played for, and, here will be the same if not WORSE.
We need to spend some goddam money, bring in some proven playmakers rather than hoping that by drafting a player will "come into his own..blah blah blah". History has proven for the last 10 years that we get burned more than we prosper.

shockey is a cancer no doubt. so is peerless price. so is JP if we keep him. The term "cancer" is relative.

Philagape
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
After the McGahee debacle, I don't want another punk from the U. I think it's no coincidence that Shockey's absence helped Eli. I saw some media reports where unnamed Giants say as much.

Philagape
02-07-2008, 04:00 PM

Simple, I want the right players

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 04:07 PM
After the McGahee debacle, I don't want another punk from the U. I think it's no coincidence that Shockey's absence helped Eli. I saw some media reports where unnamed Giants say as much.

Simple, I want the right players

And who might those "right" players be. Please, GMs want to know.

Rob Johnson and Keyshawn both came from USC. Are all USC players now banished from Buffalo football?

What about Roscoe Parrish? Kevin Everret? Jim Kelly? They all went to the University of Miami as well. Are they bums too?

Confused
02-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I want playoffs+ If we have to bring in a-holes, so be it. "Character guys" dont mean **** to me. Nice guys finish last and thats all there is to it. If shockey is a dickwad off the field, so be it. He's a stud on the field. I dont watch football and post on silly little message boards because i give a flying rat's ass about a players action off field. I want wins. Guys like Teyo, Shaud, Atrain,Jim Leonard, Coy Wire, and every tight end we have, while all fine citizens, are one stop away from the CFL.

I'd welcome Chad Johnson, Pacman, TO, Moss, Shockey, or Tank Johnson. Every one of these guy is a playmaker!!!! We have 3!!!!(Lynch,Evans&Parrish).

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I want playoffs+ If we have to bring in a-holes, so be it. "Character guys" dont mean **** to me. Nice guys finish last and thats all there is to it. If shockey is a dickwad off the field, so be it. He's a stud on the field. I dont watch football and post on silly little message boards because i give a flying rat's ass about a players action off field. I want wins. Guys like Teyo, Shaud, Atrain,Jim Leonard, Coy Wire, and every tight end we have, while all fine citizens, are one stop away from the CFL.

I'd welcome Chad Johnson, Pacman, TO, Moss, Shockey, or Tank Johnson. Every one of these guy is a playmaker!!!! We have 3!!!!(Lynch,Evans&Parrish).

I agree with you to a certain extent but some of these guys you've listed can't be melded on the same list as others.

For instance, Chad Johnson, Jeremy Shockey and even Randy Moss (to an extent) might all run their mouths, but they manage to stay out of trouble and keep their private affairs out of the locker room.

Guys like Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, and even TO (to an extent) have all in some way shape or form abused thier ability to speak and then brought chaos from their personal lives into the locker room.

The line I draw might be made of sand, but its thick and definite.

Philagape
02-07-2008, 04:30 PM
And who might those "right" players be. Please, GMs want to know.

Rob Johnson and Keyshawn both came from USC. Are all USC players now banished from Buffalo football?

What about Roscoe Parrish? Kevin Everret? Jim Kelly? They all went to the University of Miami as well. Are they bums too?

Thanks for adding all of that, combining posts that are about two different issues and responding to your own created context instead of what I actually said.

I named my example specifically so people wouldn't think I meant that all Miami grads are punks. But what was I thinking, this is a message board.

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for adding all of that, combining posts that are about two different issues and responding to your own created context instead of what I actually said.

I named my example specifically so people wouldn't think I meant that all Miami grads are punks. But what was I thinking, this is a message board.

I deliberatly seperated your quotes and responded as I see fit. If you failed to write something correctly the first time, that's hardly my fault as I respond to what you wrote, not what you "meant" to write. :rolleyes:

No apologies here.

Philagape
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I deliberatly seperated your quotes and responded as I see fit. If you failed to write something correctly the first time, that's hardly my fault as I respond to what you wrote, not what you "meant" to write. :rolleyes:

No apologies here.

Did I mention any other players? No. So you didn't respond to what I wrote. You made stuff up, "as you see fit."

Whatever you do as you see fit, you're responsible for.

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Did I mention any other players? No. So you didn't respond to what I wrote. You made stuff up, "as you see fit."

Whatever you do as you see fit, you're responsible for.

I made nothing up. Just live with your mistake Phil and move on.

Philagape
02-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I made nothing up.

Except the Jim Kelly and Kevin Everett and Roscoe Parrish and USC parts. About three-quarters of your post.

The mistake was taking posts WAY out of context, and I didn't do that. My mistake is assuming posters were intelligent enough to understand correctly.

DISCLAIMER FOR THOSE NOT INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO CORRECTLY INTERPRET THE ABOVE SENTENCE: I do not mean that all posters here aren't intelligent enough. Only the ones who take things out of context and make stuff up.

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Except the Jim Kelly and Kevin Everett and Roscoe Parrish and USC parts. About three-quarters of your post.

The mistake was taking posts WAY out of context, and I didn't do that. My mistake is assuming posters were intelligent enough to understand correctly.

DISCLAIMER FOR THOSE NOT INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO CORRECTLY INTERPRET THE ABOVE SENTENCE: I do not mean that all posters here aren't intelligent enough. Only the ones who take things out of context and make stuff up.

Its OK to be wrong Phil.

Philagape
02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Its OK to be wrong Phil.

I'm glad you've come to grips with it. :up:

LifetimeBillsFan
02-08-2008, 02:41 AM
This thread epitomizes what I have been railing about in a number of my recent posts!

Did any of you guys who want Shockey read my post in this thread? Do you know anything about him beyond his Fantasy Football stats?

Well, living in NYC and, following the Giants rather closely, I've watched virtually every game that Shockey has played as a NY Giant and am quite familiar with what has been written about him in the NYC press.

I don't care that the guy is a loud-mouth, that he is crude, that he likes to whip up the crowd or even that he is egotistical--I can safely say that all of those things could have been said to accurately describe me when I was younger (and perhaps even now) and I don't hold that against Shockey or let it impact my judgement with regard to whether he would be a good player for the Bills to acquire.

But the fact that Shockey has consistently refused to make any effort to work out with E.Manning or his teammates during the offseason, even when Eli publically and privately begged him to come to the NYC area for just a week so that they could work, just the two of them, on getting their timing on pass plays down has been a major issue both with Giants' management and his teammates. Shockey finally consented to work out briefly with Manning this past offseason only after P.Burress began working out with him at Miami and convinced Shockey that it would be good for the both of them if they spent a little time working out with Manning. Shiockey's refusal to do anything to help his QBs--particularly when Eli took over as the Giants' starting QB--during the offseason has not sat well with Eli, management or his teammates.

Additionally, while Shockey can be a beast when he gets the ball in his hands, he is NOT a good or willing blocker in the running game. Before Boss took over as the starting TE, the Giants frequently felt that they had to use V.Shiancoe and, more recently, K.Boss in their run packages because of Shockey's weakness as a run blocker. With NFL teams frequently running the ball 50% of the time or more, the importance of being able to run block for a TE cannot be overstated: in most offenses, TEs are expected to be blockers first and receivers second.

And, while it is true that Shockey catches a lot of passes--in part because he is a good receiver who demands the ball and in part because the Giants offense has featured him--he has also been known to drop his share as well. This is something that has been mentioned by Mike Francesa and Chris Russo on their radio program on WFAN that is simulcast on YES TV. If you don't like seeing R.Royal drop passes, what are you going to say when Shockey drops them?

Shockey has also begun to show some wear-and-tear, suffering both major and minor injuries over the last couple of years.

Could the Bills use Shockey's receiving skills at the TE position? No doubt.

But, there is more to playing TE than receiving numbers that may look good on a Fantasy Football roster, but do not reflect the full value of the player to the team.

Considering that the Bills were upset with Willis McGahee for his refusal to participate in the offseason workouts in Buffalo, why would they be interested in acquiring a player who not only would similarly refuse to particpate in their offseason workout program and who has a history of not showing the slightest willingness to help his young QB during the offseason? The Bills had virtually 100% participation in last season's offseason workout program (there was only one veteran player who refused to take part and he had a good reason not to--although I forget what it was at this point). It has been key part of their effort to build the kind of tight-knit group of players that successful teams usually have: and it was that kind of bonding that helped the team to deal with and rebound from the kind of adversity that they faced at the beginning of the 2007 season. Why would they want to bring in a player like Shockey who would disturb that kind of unity and possibly create friction in their lockerroom?

Why would they want to bring in an older TE who has had injuries the last couple of seasons and is a liability in the running game? Especially when they can bring in a younger player, like a F.Davis, D.Keller, M.Bennett or M.Rucker who is younger and healthier and capable of giving them the same kinds of receiving skills and potentially more in the running game--without all of the baggage that Shockey has.

I am not opposed to the Bills bringing in elite talent through trades or free agency--God knows the team needs more play-makers! But, I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense for fans to jump all over any and every big-name player who may be available--because he has good Fantasy Football stats--without taking all facets of his game or whether he would be a good fit in what the Bills are trying to build into consideration. If they can, I want the Bills to try to acquire elite talents and prospects who are or can be complete players that will be a good fit in the lockerroom as well as with what they are trying to do on the field: I don't want to see repeat of what happened in 2005 with big-name players quitting and failing to play up to their capabilities because they don't like this that or the next thing or give up on their teammates.

As for what the Bills should do: it doesn't matter what WE think they should do because they are going to do what THEY think will work best--whether we agree with that assessment or not.

I am on the record (ad nauseum), however, as saying that what I think they are trying to do is follow a pattern that was successful for the Bills during the Kelly era and for other successful teams, like the Colts, Pats, etc.: build a core of young, talented players through the draft, augmented by a couple of selected free agents each year, until they are able to establish a degree of success that will allow them to attract a couple of better quality elite talents who will allow the team to step up to the level of serious Super Bowl contenders.

Now, you may not like that approach. You may think that the Bills that the Bills should go out and chase every big-name free agent who plays a position where the Bills have a weakness, regardless of whether that players has flaws on or off the field that may not make him a good fit in the lockerroom or in what the Bills are trying to do on the field. But, I'm sorry, the Bills are going to take the approach that they have decided on taking.

And, I am also on record as saying that the Bills management and coaching staffs should be given a chance to show whether the course that they have decided on and have been following can produce the winning results that we all want in a reasonable amount of time. I have also stated that I believe that this season will be a critical season in demonstrating whether this will be possible--something that even HC Dick Jauron has openly admitted.

So, my views on this are and have been very clear.

Finally, rather than trying to acquire Shockey, I believe that the Bills will draft a TE from what has to be one of the deepest draft classes at the position in many years. I believe that there are TEs in this draft who can be every bit as good in the passing game as Shockey has been: F.Davis, D.Keller, M.Rucker, etc. and that, even though some may not be any better at blocking in the running game, they will feel that a rookie will be more likely to learn how to be a good run blocker than Shockey, who has not learned to be one since coming into the league. Besides which, a rookie is more likely to fit into their lockerroom and be cooperative with his teammates than Shockey would.

If Shockey was so great, why are people in the NYC area press saying that the Giants should trade him and go with Boss as their starting TE? Boss isn't nearly the receiver that Shockey is, yet they are saying that the team is better off with him starting than Shockey. Don't you think that there might be a reason for this? So, what makes you think that the Bills would be better off with Shockey than they would be by trying to find a talent like--or even better than--K.Boss?

If I have said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Fantasy football is not the same as the NFL game that is played on the field--stats are nice, but they are only a partial reflection of what happens on the field or a player's true value to a team on the field!!!

RedEyE
02-08-2008, 07:21 AM
I'm glad you've come to grips with it. :up:
:rofl: Good One!

Listen, sorry you see my post as having added and conjured up information. I don't see it that way. As for the rest of my posts, I was just f'n with ya. I respect your opinion whether or not I can see eye to eye with it.

RedEyE
02-08-2008, 07:25 AM
This thread epitomizes what I have been railing about in a number of my recent posts!

Did any of you guys who want Shockey read my post in this thread? Do you know anything about him beyond his Fantasy Football stats?

Well, living in NYC and, following the Giants rather closely, I've watched virtually every game that Shockey has played as a NY Giant and am quite familiar with what has been written about him in the NYC press.

I don't care that the guy is a loud-mouth, that he is crude, that he likes to whip up the crowd or even that he is egotistical--I can safely say that all of those things could have been said to accurately describe me when I was younger (and perhaps even now) and I don't hold that against Shockey or let it impact my judgement with regard to whether he would be a good player for the Bills to acquire.

But the fact that Shockey has consistently refused to make any effort to work out with E.Manning or his teammates during the offseason, even when Eli publically and privately begged him to come to the NYC area for just a week so that they could work, just the two of them, on getting their timing on pass plays down has been a major issue both with Giants' management and his teammates. Shockey finally consented to work out briefly with Manning this past offseason only after P.Burress began working out with him at Miami and convinced Shockey that it would be good for the both of them if they spent a little time working out with Manning. Shiockey's refusal to do anything to help his QBs--particularly when Eli took over as the Giants' starting QB--during the offseason has not sat well with Eli, management or his teammates.

Additionally, while Shockey can be a beast when he gets the ball in his hands, he is NOT a good or willing blocker in the running game. Before Boss took over as the starting TE, the Giants frequently felt that they had to use V.Shiancoe and, more recently, K.Boss in their run packages because of Shockey's weakness as a run blocker. With NFL teams frequently running the ball 50% of the time or more, the importance of being able to run block for a TE cannot be overstated: in most offenses, TEs are expected to be blockers first and receivers second.

And, while it is true that Shockey catches a lot of passes--in part because he is a good receiver who demands the ball and in part because the Giants offense has featured him--he has also been known to drop his share as well. This is something that has been mentioned by Mike Francesa and Chris Russo on their radio program on WFAN that is simulcast on YES TV. If you don't like seeing R.Royal drop passes, what are you going to say when Shockey drops them?

Shockey has also begun to show some wear-and-tear, suffering both major and minor injuries over the last couple of years.

Could the Bills use Shockey's receiving skills at the TE position? No doubt.

But, there is more to playing TE than receiving numbers that may look good on a Fantasy Football roster, but do not reflect the full value of the player to the team.

Considering that the Bills were upset with Willis McGahee for his refusal to participate in the offseason workouts in Buffalo, why would they be interested in acquiring a player who not only would similarly refuse to particpate in their offseason workout program and who has a history of not showing the slightest willingness to help his young QB during the offseason? The Bills had virtually 100% participation in last season's offseason workout program (there was only one veteran player who refused to take part and he had a good reason not to--although I forget what it was at this point). It has been key part of their effort to build the kind of tight-knit group of players that successful teams usually have: and it was that kind of bonding that helped the team to deal with and rebound from the kind of adversity that they faced at the beginning of the 2007 season. Why would they want to bring in a player like Shockey who would disturb that kind of unity and possibly create friction in their lockerroom?

Why would they want to bring in an older TE who has had injuries the last couple of seasons and is a liability in the running game? Especially when they can bring in a younger player, like a F.Davis, D.Keller, M.Bennett or M.Rucker who is younger and healthier and capable of giving them the same kinds of receiving skills and potentially more in the running game--without all of the baggage that Shockey has.

I am not opposed to the Bills bringing in elite talent through trades or free agency--God knows the team needs more play-makers! But, I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense for fans to jump all over any and every big-name player who may be available--because he has good Fantasy Football stats--without taking all facets of his game or whether he would be a good fit in what the Bills are trying to build into consideration. If they can, I want the Bills to try to acquire elite talents and prospects who are or can be complete players that will be a good fit in the lockerroom as well as with what they are trying to do on the field: I don't want to see repeat of what happened in 2005 with big-name players quitting and failing to play up to their capabilities because they don't like this that or the next thing or give up on their teammates.

As for what the Bills should do: it doesn't matter what WE think they should do because they are going to do what THEY think will work best--whether we agree with that assessment or not.

I am on the record (ad nauseum), however, as saying that what I think they are trying to do is follow a pattern that was successful for the Bills during the Kelly era and for other successful teams, like the Colts, Pats, etc.: build a core of young, talented players through the draft, augmented by a couple of selected free agents each year, until they are able to establish a degree of success that will allow them to attract a couple of better quality elite talents who will allow the team to step up to the level of serious Super Bowl contenders.

Now, you may not like that approach. You may think that the Bills that the Bills should go out and chase every big-name free agent who plays a position where the Bills have a weakness, regardless of whether that players has flaws on or off the field that may not make him a good fit in the lockerroom or in what the Bills are trying to do on the field. But, I'm sorry, the Bills are going to take the approach that they have decided on taking.

And, I am also on record as saying that the Bills management and coaching staffs should be given a chance to show whether the course that they have decided on and have been following can produce the winning results that we all want in a reasonable amount of time. I have also stated that I believe that this season will be a critical season in demonstrating whether this will be possible--something that even HC Dick Jauron has openly admitted.

So, my views on this are and have been very clear.

Finally, rather than trying to acquire Shockey, I believe that the Bills will draft a TE from what has to be one of the deepest draft classes at the position in many years. I believe that there are TEs in this draft who can be every bit as good in the passing game as Shockey has been: F.Davis, D.Keller, M.Rucker, etc. and that, even though some may not be any better at blocking in the running game, they will feel that a rookie will be more likely to learn how to be a good run blocker than Shockey, who has not learned to be one since coming into the league. Besides which, a rookie is more likely to fit into their lockerroom and be cooperative with his teammates than Shockey would.

If Shockey was so great, why are people in the NYC area press saying that the Giants should trade him and go with Boss as their starting TE? Boss isn't nearly the receiver that Shockey is, yet they are saying that the team is better off with him starting than Shockey. Don't you think that there might be a reason for this? So, what makes you think that the Bills would be better off with Shockey than they would be by trying to find a talent like--or even better than--K.Boss?

If I have said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Fantasy football is not the same as the NFL game that is played on the field--stats are nice, but they are only a partial reflection of what happens on the field or a player's true value to a team on the field!!!

Nice post, and I absolutely appreciate an opinion from someone that resides closer to the Giants. It makes sense what your saying. However, I'm of a strong opinion that Shockey is all bark and no bite. I still think that he would be a viable asset to this team and not so much the distraction everyone else belives him to be .

Regardless, that's my opinion.