• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Top 5 Teams who should trade for Shockey

The latest news, videos, scores and more on the biggest sports, including NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, Soccer, Boxing, NASCAR and more with Sporting News

1. Bills. A young quarterback's best friend is a top tight end -- just ask Philip Rivers, Derek Anderson or Tony Romo. Trent Edwards already has an explosive running back in Marshawn Lynch and a big-play wideout in Lee Evans. Shockey would help all three of those men be more productive, demanding attention over the middle to open up the rest of the field. He also would be embraced as a superstar quickly by a blue-collar fan base in another part of New York.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Top 5 Teams who should trade for Shockey

Isn't it ironic that Eli 'came to age' while Shockey was out of the line-up?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
      Isn't it ironic that Eli 'came to age' while Shockey was out of the line-up?

Define came to age, he played in 14 games last year and had a pretty good year as a TE before getting hurt
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

I'd love to have him, but it will never happen.

He'd never come here anyway.. The kind of guy he is, he would HATE Buffalo.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Confused
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Jun 2007

I'd would be nice. for the sake of speculation, what do you think it would take to get him here? Swap No1's? our 2nd? JP?(lol)

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Shockey ejoys

1. IR
            2. Running his mouth.
            3. Making way too much $$ for too little return ( 6 Mil cap figure )

What is " No way in hell " Alex..
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

Never going to happen.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                Define came to age, he played in 14 games last year and had a pretty good year as a TE before getting hurt
                CW from the talking heads have pretty much defined Eli's 'emergence' as coming during the last couple of games of the regular season and throughout the playoffs. I'd take Boss...Let someone else trade for the head-ache.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Confused
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Jun 2007

The acticle is right tho. edwards did utilize his TE's alot last year. A playmaker at tight end is always good. Can we draft a bigger playmaker at that position this year for as much or less than what we'd have to give up to get Shockey to come here? Is Fred Davis that guy? Bennett?

Comment

• Jayhawk
                    • Aug 2004

I'd take MArtellus Bennett over this guy
                    http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                      • Apr 2005

Hes too much of a mouth and ego for a young QB.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

It would shock me if we got shockey.

Comment

• jimbo
                          • Jan 2008

I dont want Shockey in Buffalo, period. I dont like him. Yes were not a great team, but lets not become a team that takes on guys like Shockey. Ive been proud of the way this team has conducted themselves lately after all you hear about Tank Johnson, half the Bunguls, etc. I dont know about you but as much as I like winning I want to see a likeable team win. You can build and win without signing morons like Chad Johnson, TO, cancers period.

good points guys.

Shockey is a gamble. There is no telling the future. Likewise there is no way of knowing how Shockey comes off a broken leg. Yes he has been a great talent but its (as the 07 Giants just proved) great teams or the old cliche "defense wins championships" that win champions not individual talent. There is no doubt Buffalo needs a TE who can make big plays for this team, especially for our young QB. If we go with Trent, which I havent heard anything to the contrary, he is an investment, why not invest in a young TE to grow with Trent. And someone who can BLOCK! Id take an old school blocking tight end with productive passing numbers over a TE who thinks he's a WR anyday. We already have talent however undersized at the WR position. If we pick up a big-physical WR with Lee Evans and company we have the talent to win.

Shockey would not fit in with this team. Make him a Dolphin Parcells. Then I will enjoy sweeping the fish next year all the more so.

Comment

• clumping platelets

He'll end up in Miami

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Aug 2004

I don't believe that the Bills would be interested in Shockey for many reasons, but, if you just look at his play, I don't think that they would consider him a good fit in their offense.

The Bills want their TEs to be blockers, first, then receivers. Shockey has never been a good blocker--that's why, in recent years, the Giants have always had a good blocking TE (the kid with the funny name that escapes me right now who just left as a FA and K.Boss) that they could use instead of Shockey in key running situations.

One of the reasons that people in the NYC media are talking about the Giants being better after Boss replaced Shockey is that their running game really took off after Boss became the starting TE--which was critical to their success and helped E.Manning play better--and they didn't lose that much in the passing game with Boss replacing Shockey.

Even though F.Davis, M.Rucker and some of the other top TE prospects in this draft aren't known for being very good blockers, there is always hope with a rookie that you can teach him to become a better blocker. That's not going to happen with a veteran player like Shockey who is known to have a considerable ego.

As a result, I think that the Bills would be inclined to pass on Shockey and prefer to take a kid who is closer in age to their young core of players and hope that he can learn to be a better blocker in over the course of next season. They still have Royal to use as a blocking TE who can be a mentor to a rookie TE while he develops his blocking and they can still use the rookie to give them some plays in the passing game without losing anything in the run game. With Shockey, he'd have to be on the field most of the time or they'd be risking problems that they don't want in the lockerroom.
                              Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
                              X