X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

I only watched the third period today

and the Sabres looked awful for the most part. This team NEVER wins battles for the puck, they rarely hit, they seem to let the other team skate without being touched and when they DO try to stop them, they simply stick out their sticks and get a penalty.

I just saw Pominville's goal, but I have to say that he seems to look TERRIBLE when I have watched him in the last several games. He constantly gets knocked off the puck and when the defense is struggling to get the puck out he doesn't seem to help. I saw one play where Cambell was skating towards the puck with a defender right on him and Pomminville instead of going after the puck dropped back. Of course Campbell got to the puck but had it knocked off his stick and back in the zone.

Their passes looked awful and they just look weak.

Yeah, yeah, "but they won". Ryan Miller ain't Hasek. He's good, but not THAT good and he can't take that kind of workload yet. This team can make the playoffs, but it will go nowhere because they lack toughness and they have nobody who can be strong on the puck and in the corners.
  • LABillsFan
    • Aug 2002

Re: I only watched the third period today

They actually were dictating play in the second, then the tide turned, after that 1st NJ goal, the Sabres looked a little flat footed. They beat a good team tonight though, it wasn't like they were struggling against an inferior team.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Nighthawk
      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
      • Jul 2002

Talk to Regier...I've been saying they need more toughness, grit, character and heart for the past 2 years. I'd love to see them actually take advantage of this streak and makes some deals that will actually make them a better team going into the playoffs...if they get there. If only this FO had any foresight, then they would be dangerous.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

it was a pretty evenly matched game with both teams having their moments. the sabres were better early but appeared to fade as the game went on. maybe two nights in a row had something to do with that

still an impressive win over a good team. i was thinking maybe the first game back home after such a long road stint might find them flat but it didnt
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
          Talk to Regier...I've been saying they need more toughness, grit, character and heart for the past 2 years. I'd love to see them actually take advantage of this streak and makes some deals that will actually make them a better team going into the playoffs...if they get there. If only this FO had any foresight, then they would be dangerous.
          I disagree.

Kaleta and Mair have been showing plenty of toughness and grit.

If anything they need some more talent now. Heart has been seen plenty of times this year and so has character.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Meathead
            it was a pretty evenly matched game with both teams having their moments. the sabres were better early but appeared to fade as the game went on. maybe two nights in a row had something to do with that

still an impressive win over a good team. i was thinking maybe the first game back home after such a long road stint might find them flat but it didnt
            That is pretty much what I thought.

When they beat one of the best teams in the East, on the second nght of back to back games, I would not think there is much to ***** about.

They played a very good 1st, a solid second and looked tired in the 3rd and OT. Not unexpected.

It was also nice to see Miller pick it up in the shootout.

Comment

• clumping platelets

We need more talent and grit

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                We need more talent and grit
                How mant grit players should dress in one night?

Mair, Kaleta and Pratt are already there.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

this team as constructed is a cup contender...just add a Drury-like player and his 30 goals.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Playoff grit

We need more physical presence once the playoffs start, especially on defense

Comment

• SabreEleven
                      • Aug 2002

We have the worst fore check in the league. We need more grit out of your Kotalik's and Hecht's. Those guys never hit anybody and when the do is pretty much just a love tap. We have enough Kaleta's and Mair's who will score a goal every blue moon but run you through the board. We need more team grit.

You know what the problem is with this team....too many European's and they want to play the European game without getting dirty and you can add Connolly into one of the ones who want to play that game but on the flip side I think you can say that Vanek plays more of a "Canadien" game.

Comment

• raphael120
                        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                        • Oct 2005

Too many Europeans huh? How bout we get some Russians in here. Ovechkin is doin pretty damn good.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                          • Aug 2002

Isn't Max our token Russian? Where did that get us?

Comment

• mchurchfie
                            • Jul 2002

The team did good considering back to back games. They were understandably tired by the third period. They really need to get a little less lackadaisical in their own end. They play around with the puck way to much and always get caught before they clear it. That is coaching and should be corrected, waaay too many EASY turnovers. One time i counted three times in a row last night where they tried going up the middle and turned it over everytime and it ended up in their own end struggling to get it out. Vanek needs to quit playing like a pussy also and start dominating. We have enough roleplayers and passers, we need a goal scorer that isn't a headcase and actually wants to score. If he had Roy's mentality he would have 40 goals by now.
                            My Band
                            daveviterna.com

Comment

• JD
                              Sabres Zone
                              • Sep 2003

To me, Vanek has always been a bum. He'll do maybe one hard rush and then **** the bed and he FLOATS. I dont give a **** what you people say in supporting him, he reminds me of Satan.

Connolly is too injury prone.

Trading Campbell away can help beef up this team.

Max is meant for a european sized rink, not an NHL rink.

Kotalik is a big ****ing guy, yet he is a PANSIE. How many hits does he average a year? He is non existent during 5on5 play. Needs to shoot more.

Kaleta has improved 500% from last year. He picks his hits wisely and when he gets a hit lined up, HE DELIVERS!

Mair and Hecht are good leaders for this team.

I never want to see Peters on the ice again.

That is all
                              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                              X