PDA

View Full Version : A positive thought on regionalization

Throne Logic
02-06-2008, 11:59 PM
I realize that this is something of a different situation, but the Boston Celtics - with Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parrish in their primes - did this with Hartford, CT.

They played one preseason and three regular season games at the Hartford Civic Center. This went on for years. My father and I went to pretty much every one of these games.

Eventually, they pulled out and quit coming here. But they'd already generated the interest in the Celtics that remains with the team today. I'm a living example, although I've grown somewhat disenchanted with the NBA, I still keep on eye on what the Celtics are doing.

I'm wondering if the motives are not genuine here. Put aside Ralph's yapping today for just a second. What if the overall goal here is to generate some interest over the next few years and then pull back to all 8 home games in Orchard Park? It does make sense, from a business standpoint, to take an approach like this to generate a larger interest in the team.

Worked for the Celtics.

For those of you who want to respond with "you'd have been a Celtic fan anyway living in NE CT". I'd like to respond with, "Well, just how do you figure I wound up a Bills fan?". CT is a peripheral state in the sports world. We're stuck between Boston and NYC. Our allegiance to sports teams is influenced by parents, peers, and what is most available. For fledgling NFL fans in Toronto, this may very likely draw them in to the Buffalo Bills world.

Of course, the fatal flaw could be the prices. Your typical new fan is what, 10 to 15 years old? Not too sure where they came up with the $250/ticket idea.

YardRat
02-07-2008, 05:30 AM
The Packers did it for years, also, sharing their home schedule with Milwaukee.

Jan Reimers
02-07-2008, 05:57 AM
I've never thought of these Toronto games as some sort of conspiracy to spirit the Bills away from Buffalo. I believe we are simply extending our already successful regionalization efforts into a virtually untapped market.

When Ralph passes, either local interests will keep the team in Buffalo, or they'll be outbid by buyers in Toronto or elsewhere.

I don't see these Toronto games having much impact on that process.

imbondz
02-07-2008, 07:55 AM
same state versus different country. totally different.

how cool would it be if the Bills played a game in Rochester? Or, Syracuse for that matter. Not the same as playing games in another freakin' country.

Don't Panic
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
The Packers did it for years, also, sharing their home schedule with Milwaukee.

imbondz - Green Bay might as well be another country... I like the Syracuse idea... one game in the Carrier Dome, one in Rogers Centre and six in the Ralph. Hey, if it keeps the team here and gives other fans a chance tos ee us play, let it be! (not that I think they'd ever realistically play a game in the Carrier Dome, but it sounds like a good idea)

Jeff1220
02-07-2008, 09:44 AM
imbondz - Green Bay might as well be another country... I like the Syracuse idea... one game in the Carrier Dome, one in Rogers Centre and six in the Ralph. Hey, if it keeps the team here and gives other fans a chance tos ee us play, let it be! (not that I think they'd ever realistically play a game in the Carrier Dome, but it sounds like a good idea)

I'd love the Carrier Dome for a Bills game. It's small cramped, and uncomfortable, but man that place gets loud.

Ed
02-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Good post Throne. I competely forgot about the Celtics coming to play in the civic center, which is funny since I grew up in CT and attended a couple of those games with my dad too. That was a great idea. It expanded their fan base and gave them more exposure and certainly didn't make the Celtics any less a part of Boston.

You know if Hartford or Providence or even Maine had a stadium with the capacity to host an NFL game, the Pats might consider playing a game in any of those places too. I don't think it hurts you to be able to spread your brand a little bit.

I never thought of the Bills playing a game in Syracuse, but that's a great idea too. How many people in Central NY would love to go to a Bills game, but don't want to make the 100-200 mile drive to Buffalo? If just moving training camp to Rochester helped build our fan base, then trying to reach out to the Syracuse area should help too.

Throne Logic
02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I like the idea of a Syracuse or Rochester game. I see the point of how that would be different from games in Canada.

However, from a business standpoint, what does Syracuse or Rochester offer compared to the money available in Toronto?

Mr. Miyagi
02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Of course, the fatal flaw could be the prices. Your typical new fan is what, 10 to 15 years old? Not too sure where they came up with the $250/ticket idea.
I agree with your whole post except for this. You're underestimating the wealth of Toronto. A lot of people are very well to do there. $250 is not as much as it is in Buffalo.

Mr. Miyagi
02-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Good post Throne. I competely forgot about the Celtics coming to play in the civic center, which is funny since I grew up in CT and attended a couple of those games with my dad too. That was a great idea. It expanded their fan base and gave them more exposure and certainly didn't make the Celtics any less a part of Boston.

You know if Hartford or Providence or even Maine had a stadium with the capacity to host an NFL game, the Pats might consider playing a game in any of those places too. I don't think it hurts you to be able to spread your brand a little bit.

I never thought of the Bills playing a game in Syracuse, but that's a great idea too. How many people in Central NY would love to go to a Bills game, but don't want to make the 100-200 mile drive to Buffalo? If just moving training camp to Rochester helped build our fan base, then trying to reach out to the Syracuse area should help too.
I miss the Hartford Whalers. :(

Ed
02-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Me too dude. And if I have to go through the same thing with the Bills, I'm pretty much done with pro sports.

Don't Panic
02-08-2008, 12:24 PM

Except for the fact that they're the Carolina Hurricanes now. :down:

My thought for the day on the Carrier Dome idea... why not do a preseason game there? That way you take some of the hit off of the season ticket holders ($$$ -wise) and expand on the theme of regionalization. They could go every other year... Toronto and Syracuse. I think it would be great... like Jeff said, its an incredible atmosphere and since its smaller it has a better chance of selling out.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I never knew that they left :couch:

Ed
02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I never knew that they left :couch:
Most people probably don't, since most people don't give a **** about the NHL.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Most people probably don't, since most people don't give a **** about the NHL.
Good point.... But none the less.

Throne Logic
02-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I agree with your whole post except for this. You're underestimating the wealth of Toronto. A lot of people are very well to do there. $250 is not as much as it is in Buffalo.

I freely admit that I'm not up on my relative economics between Buffalo and Toronto. However, $250 / ticket just seems like a bit much if you're trying to intice people to try something new.

All in all, drawing on Toronto's relative wealth would seem to support this potential theory. I just hope this is what they are really thinking.

Kenny
02-09-2008, 05:07 PM
I think it's a different scenario though.
It worked with Boston because they went to another area that was a smaller market. Play a few games in the smaller market area, and then pull back.
Do you really think it would work if they did the same thing, except instead of Harford, -they went to another city that was bigger/richer than Boston?