PDA

View Full Version : Argos had no choice in Bills' invasion

Romes
02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/301312

The Argonauts had little choice but to become minor partners in the arrangement that will see the NFL's Buffalo Bills play eight home games at the Rogers Centre over the next five years.

"It was a fait accompli when it was presented to us," said Argo co-owner Howard Sokolowski.

"We were told the Bills would be playing eight games at the Rogers Centre over the next five years. Given that was the situation that we had to deal with, we felt we would make the best out of that. Having said that, we are supportive of the series because it will be a celebration of football."

------------------------------------------------

Sokolowski said he does not believe an NFL team will ever come to Toronto.

``People will argue with me, but I don't think this has anything to do with bringing a permanent team here," he said. "Whatever discussion we've had ... has had to do with eight games in five years. We have had reassurance that's the situation."

Asked if the arrival of a NFL team would spell the death knell of the CFL and particularly the Argos, Sokolowski said he would not speculate "on something I don't think will happen."

Sokolowski said he and Cynamon would not have bought the Argos if they thought an NFL team would wind up in Toronto.

"So I believe the NFL will stay away from Canada on a permanent basis."

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon did not attend the press conference, but later met briefly with local media.

Cohon said his job is "to grow the CFL game" and he feels by helping to arrange this series of Bills game "I was doing just that."

Good news? I realize the NFL vs CFL is a Goliath vs David type of matchup but if a move eventually does come up, somewhere down the line, there will be enough outcry from the CFL to stop it...maybe...i hope...

DMBcrew36
02-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Some Canadian called into WGR yesterday and claimed there is some Canadian statute that would keep the Bills or any other NFL team from moving into Toronto. This isn't to say that they couldn't get around it, but I do think there are some things working in our favor.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Some Canadian called into WGR yesterday and claimed there is some Canadian statute that would keep the Bills or any other NFL team from moving into Toronto.

The statute was never passed. It was called the Canadian Football Act, and it was proposed back in 1974 when the World Football League wanted to put a team in Toronto. Pierre Trudeau wrote up a bill that would have prevented any American-based league from ever placing a team in Canada. The WFL backed down and moved the team to Memphis instead.

But after that, the bill never passed. Besides, the Canadian-American Free Trade Agreement and NAFTA would likely render such a protectionist act unenforceable.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 05:32 PM
The more and more I read about the Canadian views, especially the CFL views....I don't see the Toronto thing as a threat anymore. The NFL does not want to piss off Canada and force themself in there. They also don't want to piss off the CFL, which is a pretty successful league. I think that the most that will come out of this deal is what came out of moving the training camp into Rochester...it will bring more fans, more corporate sponsors and more people with big bucks to buy the suites. It will start out at 1 or 2 games a year and probably stay that way or at the most increase to 2 regular season games when the CFL is not going and 1 preseason game.

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 05:33 PM
The more and more I read about the Canadian views, especially the CFL views....I don't see the Toronto thing as a threat anymore. The NFL does not want to piss off Canada and force themself in there. They also don't want to piss off the CFL, which is a pretty successful league. I think that the most that will come out of this deal is what came out of moving the training camp into Rochester...it will bring more fans, more corporate sponsors and more people with big bucks to buy the suites. It will start out at 1 or 2 games a year and probably stay that way or at the most increase to 2 regular season games when the CFL is not going and 1 preseason game.
Then get ready to move to LA.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Don't forget all about the anti-trust stuff. If the NFL moves out of Buffalo and destroys another league, I see Canada *****ing to the US government about the anti-trust stuff. Plus we already know what Schumer feels. There's no way he will let us lose our team, without a major fight.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Then get ready to move to LA.
Nope. I don't buy it. LA didn't support a team everytime they had one. I just think that the NFL prefers to use them as a threat to convince the other cities to give lots to keep their teams.

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Nope. I don't buy it. LA didn't support a team everytime they had one. I just think that the NFL prefers to use them as a threat to convince the other cities to give lots to keep their teams.
You live in a dream land, you're in for a world of pain in the next five years.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-07-2008, 06:12 PM
LA didn't support a team everytime they had one.

Not true. Fan support was not the reason either the Rams or Raiders left. The Rams left because Georgia Frontiere wanted to bring a team back to her hometown of St. Louis and the Raiders left because Oakland duped Al Davis into coming back to their city with stadium renovations.

The Rams were in Los Angeles for 50+ years, before they were America's #2 market.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I'd rather have the Buffalo Bills move to LA anyways if they are going to move. It would make it much easier to hate them. :up:

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd rather have the Buffalo Bills move to LA anyways if they are going to move. It would make it much easier to hate them. :up:I'm hoping they move to San Antonio myself :up:

Michael82
02-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm hoping they move to San Antonio myself :up:
Then you can have your own team, just like the Dallas Cowboys. :up:

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Then you can have your own team, just like the Dallas Cowboys. :up:
Exactly :up:

YardRat
02-07-2008, 09:16 PM
There are enough people in Canada and the CFL that aren't going to just roll over, die, and let the NFL cross the border without a fight. That's a major plus for us, at this point.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Exactly :up:
because we all know that you are just a closet Dallas fan. :snicker:

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
because we all know that you are just a closet Dallas fan. :snicker:
I've made it no secret, they are my second favorite team.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I've made it no secret, they are my second favorite team.
i don't know how. living in that area would make me hate them even more, especially with their annoying fans.

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 09:33 PM
i don't know how. living in that area would make me hate them even more, especially with their annoying fans.
Trust me, Bills fans, especially the locals are just as annoying with their constant *****ing about how nobody likes them.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Trust me, Bills fans, especially the locals are just as annoying with their constant *****ing about how nobody likes them.
then what on Earth made you become a Buffalo Bills fan? why do you root for the team instead of rooting for your home team, the one that has the money and an awesome owner in your mind?