PDA

View Full Version : Donte Stallworth as a Bill?

Bruce is Loose
02-07-2008, 07:36 AM
I hope this isnt already posted but I couldnt find it. I heard on ESPN a few days ago (and found the older link below) that Stallworth might well be gone from the Pats next year due to a high cap figure that will only climb.

I wonder what it would take to sign him if he became available? He is 6'0" but I feel that he plays like the large type of receiver that we need. What do you guys think... could he be a fit here if released?

"Stallworth will receive an initial signing bonus of $1 million, a roster bonus of $1.6 million and a $300,000 workout bonus, to go along with his 2007 base salary of $700,000. That totals $3.6 million for the coming season.

It's after the 2007 season, however, when the really big money could kick in."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615

Jan Reimers
02-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Not for $3.6 million. To me, he's not the big 2nd receiver we need.

tampabay25690
02-07-2008, 07:45 AM
I hope this isnt already posted but I couldnt find it. I heard on ESPN a few days ago (and found the older link below) that Stallworth might well be gone from the Pats next year due to a high cap figure that will only climb.

I wonder what it would take to sign him if he became available? He is 6'0" but I feel that he plays like the large type of receiver that we need. What do you guys think... could he be a fit here if released?

"Stallworth will receive an initial signing bonus of $1 million, a roster bonus of $1.6 million and a $300,000 workout bonus, to go along with his 2007 base salary of $700,000. That totals $3.6 million for the coming season.

It's after the 2007 season, however, when the really big money could kick in."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615

He would be better then any other WR we have on this team besides EVANS.....That would be a good 1-2 punch and for $3 mill, not so bad.....

Bruce is Loose
02-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Not for $3.6 million. To me, he's not the big 2nd receiver we need.
If he is released that number can be reworked... I dont think 3 Mill is unreasonable (It costs more to get players to sign here)

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 07:55 AM
He would surely be an upgrade.

Jan Reimers
02-07-2008, 07:56 AM
At 6'0, 200 lbs, he's just barely bigger than the smurfs we have now. I'd like a bigger, red zone-type receiver for that kind of money.

Jeff1220
02-07-2008, 08:09 AM
He'd be a great pick up only if the Bills got him and a guy like Wilford

realdealryan
02-07-2008, 08:24 AM
He's not the savior everyone is looking for, but a HUGE, IMMEDIATE upgrade over Price. He probably would have sucked in our offense last year, though.

TigerJ
02-07-2008, 08:27 AM
If the price is right and if that is not the end of our efforts to upgrade at WR. We still need a big guy.

Ickybaluky
02-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Stallworth doesn't play like a big WR. However, he has the speed and athleticism to get open and is one of the better WR in the NFL running after making the catch.

Run after catch is probably his best attribute. The guy has great open field moves and quickness, and is great on screen plays and quick-hitting plays.

That said, he wasn't as consistent as you would like this year, and late in the season he lost playing time to Jabar Gaffney.

I think Gaffney is going to be a real steal for some team, if the Pats don't re-sign him. I hope they keep him over Stallworth. Gaffney doesn't have Stallworth's athleticism, but he has good size, runs good routes, had great hands and is very productive given the amount of snaps he plays.

User Manuel
02-07-2008, 08:43 AM
I agree with NE39, he is a bit of an enigma. Not bad, just very inconsistent.

I wouldn't be against him coming here, but I think we would all be pulling our hair out over his play.

Ickybaluky
02-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I agree with NE39, he is a bit of an enigma. Not bad, just very inconsistent.

I wouldn't be against him coming here, but I think we would all be pulling our hair out over his play.

He is capable of making some electric plays, both catching the ball and running with it. I just think he needs to make them more often.

The King
02-07-2008, 09:02 AM
That said, he wasn't as consistent as you would like this year, and late in the season he lost playing time to Jabar Gaffney.

Thats kind of his career, isnt it?

The King
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
What is Ashley Lelie doing these days?

Ickybaluky
02-07-2008, 10:24 AM
What is Ashley Lelie doing these days?

He signed a 2 Yr/$4.3M deal with the 49ers with a $2M SB last year. He is under contract with them for another season. He didn't play well last year, but he struggled with a quad injury all season. As weak as they are at WR, I doubt they cut him.

Ickybaluky
02-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Thats kind of his career, isnt it?

I do think he has matured a lot over his career, and he stayed healthy the entire season for the Pats, which was something he had struggled to do. I have no complaints, and he is a better player now than he was a couple years ago. He played pretty well for both the Eagles and Pats, but he has to be more consistent to be considered the kind of WR who can make a big difference.

I like him as a player, it is just he has to continue to improve and become more reliable.

The King
02-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Those WR's in that class have been pretty questionable... Lelie, Branch and Stallworth

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm not a Stallworth fan. Had the Patriots needed to rely on him rather than Welker they wouldn't have made it as far as they did this season. Brady has laid out some nice passes to this guy all year and has an amazing tendancy to do nothing with it.